Forgotten Project

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gardo, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

A0D4041D-CB5A-43DE-B428-066E90B2DBFD.jpeg 4D2AE675-D83F-49B8-A906-FFC668BADED2.jpeg My daughter is moving in to her first apartment soon. So while she was searching the house for things she can use she came across an old table in the basement. My wife always hated it so of course she can take it. Frankly I’m proud to see her use it. When I was a junior is high school my mother wanted a small table so I designed one and built it in wood shop.This would have been the 72-73 school year . She was happy and it sat beside my father’s chair for years . I was quite proud of it at the time. Eventually it was demoted to his basement TV room where it stayed beside his chair until he died and the house was sold . So it came to my basement. A few of the glue seems have some separation so with a little work it can now go to the third generation. I know it’s not anything outstanding but I was 16 when I built it so it’s kind of cool that it still exists

2. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Passing something you made on is super cool. And I really like the table

Gardo likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

That's pretty cool. In a throw away world something handmade lasts.

Gardo likes this.
  4. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

If it came from Walmart I would not have bothered fixing it. Of course it would have been made of particleboard and would have been trashed many years ago

electrichead likes this.
  5. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

Staying power is a good thing, cool story!

Gardo likes this.
  6. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

That's really nice. My oldest daughter is buying her first house and they're moving in in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to surprise them with some sort of nice housewarming furniture.

Gardo and Jlwctn like this.
  7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

You are one of a past generation of kids that had woodshop as it was once known. It's a rare class these days with all the engineering programs in HS. You were taught some basic skills that you could use for the rest of your life.

I was an IA teacher for 30 years and what I taught my first year didn't really resemble what I taught my last year at all. Like a lot of things, I was lucky to go to school before computers took over our lives. I like computers, CAD, and CNC stuff, but there is something to be said for the simplicity of some aspects of our lives back then. Given that though, I vividly recall in drafting class having to do a revolution drawing with a compass, and that wasn't much fun at all.

Gardo, Jlwctn and Collin D Plonker like this.
  8. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The table is great. But what if it was also an amp cabinet?
    I'll be quiet now.

jvin248 and Gardo like this.
  9. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

I have always been a hands on person.In high school my major was IA, beginning with drafting, then on to wood and metal shops. The shop teachers were in my opinion the coolest teachers partly because they didn't just lecture but were hands on.Back then I judged a man based on what he could do not what he knew. I was one of the guys who would ask for a pass to go to shop during study period,but then the shop was also right beside the bus loading area which got me out there quicker. Most of my career was spent in shops operating equipment of various types then eventually repairing that equipment. It's been good.

10. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

As an amp cab I think it would vibrale apart. But one day I saw a shabby looking waterfall dresser setting on the curb on trash day. The owner was near by and was glad to give it to me The drawers were broken up so I took them all out except the bottom one . I added a decorative strip above the face of the drawer and a plywood surface inside.. Reglued everything and restored the finish . Add some black carpet inside the cavity and I had an amp stand that was nice enough that I was allowed to put it in the livingroom

ale.istotle likes this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

My younger brother has our father's bookshelf shop project from the late 40s.

I did the range: Wood shop, metal shop, and electronics shop.
    My junior high wood shop teacher by the time I was in college had moved up to principle, which I thought was not a typical career path.

I had plenty of farm equipment, small engine, and auto shop at home though.

First Robotics tries to fill the need of practical workshop training in high schools these days because shop classes have largely evaporated, and businesses need hands on training.

Gardo likes this.
  12. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Meister

Back in 1972 I entered jr high school and we had shop class
    It was broken into 4 parts
    woodworking
    printing
    metal working
    sorry cant remember the 4th part...

We each were assigned a project that would be shown to the parents on umm parents night.I made a lamp and when we were coming close to the finish line it looked like my lamp was going to be the only project that was actually going to get finished.The last part was drilling a hole for the electrical wiring to go up to the actual lamp,well that required a certain amount of skill that the teacher was concerned I was going to screw it up and thus have not a thing to show the parents.
    I started the drilling process and very quickly it went south,luckily he stepped in and got it right..

I proudly gave it to my mother and over the years made sure I kept track of it and when she passed it became mine once again.
    I still have that lamp.
    My wife refuses to let me keep it anywhere but in my den or my garage.:p

hell its almost 50 years old..

Gardo likes this.
  13. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I also was an IA kid, from the time we were in Junior High there was always a class.

I think my first class was drafting where they taught the rudimentary skills of how to draw a straight line and to use a T square. Then we drew a project and the second half of the year we built the project.

My mother still has a number of projects that I built while in school in her house today. I wish I had a picture of a few of them to show but these were pre cell phone days.

electrichead and Gardo like this.
  14. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

I know the feeling

electrichead likes this.
  15. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Wood, Metal, plastic, automotive/energy, electricity, ceramics, technical drawing, graphic arts. Those were the basic classes I had to take to teach.

electrichead and Gardo like this.
  16. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Cool table. All that space inside is being wasted. You could make a little panel that opens on one of the sides. Could keep reading materials or something in there.

Gardo likes this.
  17. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

837DB25E-2C31-4004-A41B-076A1C50FCC0.jpeg
    it actually does open ,but the hinges are off right now. We still have the door so it can be rehung. That was always the problem ,at 16 I as unable to get the hidden hinges to work right. My father put that side toward the wall and we forgot about it

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    electrichead and Danb541 like this.
  18. electrichead

I will take some pics of some of the things I made.Still have my business cards and we also made a beer can lamp for metal shop and many throwing stars found their way into the ceiling.
    It was funny because back then they tended to steer the more unruly students into the shop class and vo-tech.

Gardo likes this.
  19. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

We were forbidden to make letter openers because they began to look more and more like knives . We also had an aluminum foundry , one of the patterns was a hand making a peace sign. We were not allowed to use that one after someone got caught cutting off the index finger. Kids!!!

electrichead likes this.
  20. electrichead

Our shop teacher was also in the process of actually building a small boat so he tended to disappear during class so we kind of ran amok.One of the kids during print class damn near lost a finger in the printing press.

Gardo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.