Forgotten band to give away cheap guitar with ruined finish.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Red Ryder, Jul 20, 2021.

1. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I was in an office building once, and saw a Squier Affinity hanging on the wall as the "Rockstar Award!" for something or other. I think the CEO had "autographed" it with a sharpie or something. How much of a "rockstar" are you if all you get is a Squier Affinity? Call me when they start hanging up Gibsons.

2. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Afflicted

For those of you who haven't been "Shagged", it's my treat.

3. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

I liked their songs. At least some of them.

gazzie likes this.
  4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Holic

Overwrought-comically is Dennis DeYoung’s whole persona.
    He definitely wrote some legendary songs, but the ones that seemed to age more gracefully (less cheesy) were JY and Tommy Shaw’s songs.

deyoung’s themes seemed to be about aliens, illusion, and paradise. Young/Shaws seemed to be less fantastical and more real life. They were doomed to split up with that much difference in personality and music.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  5. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

This thread is ticking away, ticking away from me

6. JazzDreams

JazzDreams Tele-Meister

7. JazzDreams

JazzDreams Tele-Meister

Just to be consistent with the spirit of the thread....

It's "I couldn't care less".

You're welcome.

KATT and TwoBear like this.
  8. Alaman

Alaman Tele-Meister

I think that hit the nail on the head for me. I saw them in concert two times when I was young. I had a means to see a lot of different concerts back then. They put on one heck of a show live and they packed the coliseum in Birmingham each time. I sometimes felt I was at a rock/broadway/vaudeville mash up. DeYoung was definitely the show man and leader but you could tell the band wasn’t cohesive creatively. DeYoung was even physically separated or distanced from the rest of the band in the stage setup if my memory serves me. I enjoyed their shows and their music. I wouldn’t name them as one of my top bands but I definitely haven’t forgotten them and their music is associated with great memories from my youth. And I believe Tommy Shaw is a Bama boy so that is a big plus :)

PhoenixBill and nickmsmith like this.
  9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Once I discovered I could change the channel on my radio, I no longer cared whether or not Styx were any good. No hate for Styx, they just ain’t for me.

teletail likes this.
  10. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Holic

A bait and bash. That ain't humor.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
    ― Albert Einstein

TwoBear likes this.
  11. kilroy6262

kilroy6262 TDPRI Member

Like a lot of bands, especially Journey, they started out good, then one member got undue influence and the ca$h bug hit so they sold out and started turning out pop mush. Yes, I said it, Journey sucks (but I knew them back when they were cool ). You're obviously too young to remember Styx, or your memory has completely faded, but they had a string of huge hits. Before that though they stated as a prog rock band.

PhoenixBill, radiocaster and teletail like this.
  12. Jimmyrnr

Jimmyrnr NEW MEMBER!

Signed Giveaway Guitars are almost always low end models. They are collected for autographs & not meant to be played.

That said, Tommy Shaw is an incredible guitarist, singer, & songwriter!

Listen to “Blue Collar Man”

gazzie and hdvades like this.
  13. gazzie

gazzie TDPRI Member

Yep, the phrase is "I couldn't care less". "I could care less", means you must care at least a bit - or maybe even a huge amount? Why it used by some people to mean the opposite of what it says? Always sounds odd to me!

KATT and TwoBear like this.
  14. gazzie

gazzie TDPRI Member

Yes! Thank you! I don't get these sorts of threads. Every single one of us could start a thread about a band/musician we don't like or don't warm to, and loads of others would jump in saying they love them. What's the point? It's all subjective. By the way I hate Nirvana and the Foo Fighters - ha!;)

TwoBear, FortyEight and teletail like this.
  15. gazzie

gazzie TDPRI Member

No, a river that forms the boundary between Earth and The Underworld. The clue was in the answer given.

TwoBear and Ron R like this.
  16. gazzie

gazzie TDPRI Member

I have the singles Blue Collar Man and Renegade on coloured vinyl. I like both of them, but not very familiar with any other songs. I'm from England and bought them when they came out. I don't remember any other songs but I think they may have had another bigger hit over here?

17. kristen

kristen TDPRI Member

They are CHEAPOS

18. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Actual LOL

Frodebro likes this.
  19. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I have a memory attached to hearing “Renegade” for the first time: at age ten or so, catching a ride with my wild-ass uncle in his beat-to-shizz ‘68 Mustang from St. Louis to Denver so I could spend the summer with my dad.

The mustang’s rear shelf speaker holes were open, no speakers in them. Door speakers only. 289, Glass packs, no tailpipes, loud as hell.

I remember “Renegade” blasting out of the door speakers as my uncle grabbed third, finished a Beer, belched, crushed the can one-handed and tossed it over his shoulder, where it ricocheted off the rear window and through the speaker hole into the trunk.

The trunk was pretty full of crushed aluminum.

elihu, gazzie and TwoBear like this.
  20. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Friend of Leo's

These old bands are just touring/doing promotions just for nostalgia, or to 'matter'; they're doing it because their revenue has dried up.

Since 2001, music revenues have fallen by 70%. YouTube controls 60% of the streaming audio business and pays only 11% of the streaming audio revenues. More creative content is being consumed that ever before, but less revenue is actually flowing to creators and owners of the content.

Jonathan Taplin, who's clients included Bob Dylan, Peter, Paul and Mary, Janis Joplin, the Jim Kweskin Jug Band, Judy Collins, and who produced The Concert for Bangladesh with George Harrison, and The Last Waltz, along with Martin Scorsese' Mean Streets, wanted to help his friend, Levon Helm of The Band, who was suffering from cancer, but had been forced back on the road at the age of 70 to help pay his medical bills. The new culture of “free music and movies” had destroyed his income as a recording artist, with his royalty revenue dropping from around $125,000 in the 1991s to a fraction of that in the early 2000s.

TwoBear likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.