Forgive Me Father For I Have Sinned (modelling amp content)

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by JuneauMike, Jul 9, 2019.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

So I just got back from spending a week with in-laws in Nashville and we went to my sister-in-law's church. Very professional, very slick, very much focused on the user experience. That's not meant as a slight, the sermon was good (its Nashville so all the real world parables seemed to focus on shopping or how we interact with our material possessions).

The music was really amazing. It was in a gymnasium but it had clearly been given acoustic treatments by a professional. The band was tight, the mix was flawless and the second guitar player was awesome and his tone was immaculate. The bass and keyboards were perfectly tasteful, drums were spot on and everyone was exactly where they were supposed to be in the mix (you couldn't really hear the acoustic rhythm guitarist unless you were looking at him, then you'd hear his contribution. So weird but exactly the way its supposed to be). Perfect.

And as I got to looking at it, it made my blood boil. All in ear monitors, no amps on stage, the drummer was in his own cage. I talked to the band after the service and it got even worse. They had two Kemper Profilers going into a Leslie speaker mic'd. The other instruments were going direct. Nothing they used needed a vacuum tube. And the tone was lusciously glorious. Ugh.

I feel so confused, as if everything I believed about gear has been called into question.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  2. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I am totally prepared for a post-tube society. Solid State has come a long way. My Katana 50 and my Joyo American Sound are really all I need. I almost never get a chance to turn my Rivera Clubster 25 up to "fun" levels anymore.

3. JuneauMike

Well unfortunately, I'm still in the "get off my lawn" phase of modelling tech. I suppose bargaining is next, followed eventually by acceptance?

download.jpg

GoldieLocks likes this.
  4. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I did not think automatic transmissions would ever outperform a stick, but many new ones are more fuel efficient and shift more quickly than a human. Not sure where I am going with this analogy, just saying.:)

JuneauMike likes this.
  5. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Whew! For a second there I thought we were going to hear you are going all high tech. In all fairness Mike, I think it's apples to oranges. Kempers aren't cheap, and then there's the time getting the programming all set for your sound. If you're going to make a gym sound great, you need some serious sound reinforcement and, most importantly, somebody really knowledgeable at the board. Churches the size of ours simply don't have those kinds of resources, nor do we need them for a medium-sized room with <200 worshippers. I think what was probably the most impressive factor was that you were listening to professional grade musicians (you were in Nashville after all) practicing their craft. Musical perfection is what Nashville is all about. It doesn't mean we can't aspire to getting great tone and making that perfect blend, it all comes down to practice. And hearing each other well. In that respect, in-ears with user-controlled mix really does help. Fortunately, for now I still get to have my few pedals and the Princeton on stage with me- Though I expect the time will come…

black_doug and JuneauMike like this.
  6. JuneauMike

Yep, check. And check.
    The guys in the band were saying that they are very fortunate that they are near Belmont U. They never have a shortage of excellent sound engineers. Makes a big difference.

mRtINY and Ascension like this.
  7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

If a worship band in Nashville sounds bad, it's because someone somewhere doesn't care.

Seriously... I've been playing in worship bands in Nashville since about 1997, and there is never a lack of good musicians. In fact, for any given event (worship service, or normal gig)... you can almost always bet there there are a handful of people in the congregation/audience that can do whatever you're doing... better than you can.

The times that I've been involved in poor sound, it was because whoever was in charge did not care about it, and had their mind on other things. That's when you just step away and go along your merry way.

8. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Well Mike, I haven't told anyone but one buddy I play music with occasionally, but I bought a Kemper out of curiosity. It's a really cool tool. I still have all of my old tube amps, and won't ever part with them, but I've played the Kemper a lot more than all of my amps combined over the past few months. It opens up some possibilities that would be impossible without a LOT of other gear. I'll be keeping the Kemper along with my amps.

GoldieLocks likes this.
  9. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

There is a lot of unholy gear that can sound great if the technical preparation has been done and a good tone engineer is running the soundboard....

JuneauMike likes this.
  10. JuneauMike

I always read the admonition in Deuteronomy "Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woolen and linen together" as including digital modelling tech. It seemed obvious at the time. But maybe I'm being to legalistic here since I'm perfectly fine with using buffered pedals and digital delays, etc. Come to think of it, I just recently bought an amp simulator pedal.

Yes, I'm a hypocrite.

preactor, studio and mRtINY like this.
  11. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

When it comes right down to it, if we are honest, aren't we all?

mRtINY and JuneauMike like this.
  12. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

In most blind taste tests - I can't tell which is a tube or analog gear anymore. But playing them? I seem to be able to feel it. Although i've played some horrendous Tube and Analogue gear over the years. (And I've always enjoyed Rolands Jazz solid state amps).
    But i'm not willing to go in ear monitors EVER. Life is too short... And I don't need any gig that bad. Even if Skynyrd or Alice Cooper call me. (I'll just use the HUGE side fills :D)

mRtINY likes this.
  13. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

I'm going to sleep with my Fender tube amps tonight. Legalistic? Lol.

preactor and GoldieLocks like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.