Forgery tone in heard it through the grapevine.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Does anyone have any idea how John Forgerty gets that tone on the solo from Heard it through the grapevine? Sounds like a tele or a strat on the neck pickup above the 12th fret, but there's definitely something else going on.
Interesting Amp - 1967 K-200-4 model with 2-15" JBL speakers and a SM57 on the Cab - pretty sure he used the 3/4 scale 1969 Rickenbacker 325 Sunburst guitar with a Humbucker pickup in the bridge - he's probably the only guy who got that tone from the setup he had - the amp had the distortion circuit was called the Harmonic Clipper which is how he achieved it - still I've. never heard it duplicated.

PARCO

Tele-Holic
I can get a tone very close to the Fogerty tone using the front pickup of my American Special Tele and my Pro Jr. amp.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
One of his earliest woks. I'm guessing the Rickenbaker and his Big Kustom amps.Saw him live in 1972/3 with the LP Custom and those padded Kustom giants. He used an Ibanez LP copy all night only using the Gibson for Proud Mary in the encore. I , and friends, were feet away from him, we were in the front row.

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
I could be wrong ( this recall is a longtime ago, maybe GP magazine?)
but I thought for ' Grapevine ' that Fogerty used his black Les Paul, tuned down a whole step, and is playing in E ( so actually pitch is D), and using a cranked Fender Pro Reverb
> there is NO WAY I would just make this up, but maybe I am....

* regardless, Cosmos Factory absolutely grooves with tasty guitar style, all over!
I play a lot on my neck pickup between the 10th and 14th fret because I love that tone. I'm wondering if tuning down a half or even a whole step expands that area in the neck that you can get that nice round tone? Gonna try it out and see. I tried tuning down a half a while ago and it seems like it kinda dulled my chord work. Probably should have stayed with a little longer and experimented with different voicings, might have been able to work around it.

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
Interesting Amp - 1967 K-200-4 model with 2-15" JBL speakers and a SM57 on the Cab - pretty sure he used the 3/4 scale 1969 Rickenbacker 325 Sunburst guitar with a Humbucker pickup in the bridge - he's probably the only guy who got that tone from the setup he had - the amp had the distortion circuit was called the Harmonic Clipper which is how he achieved it - still I've. never heard it duplicated.
Yeah I always admired that amp. Had a chance to buy one back in the 90s. Shortly after that the company was bought out or reorganized and went transistor. The only reason I didn't buy it was because I was hung up on a Mess Boogie Maverick which I still have and use.

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
It was a Gibson Les Paul Custom he bought in a shop on Solano Avenue in Albany (between El Cerrito and Berkeley) California. He tuned it D to D and would capo it on the 2nd fret for tunes in E.
So by shortening the scale he was able to affect his tone so much that it help to create that tone. Sorry, this how short long scale thing is new to me.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I had the album and it was one of my favorites at the time. Especially Ramble Tamble.
All this Cosmo's Factory talk, I need to get the album again!

CCR's version of "Before You Accuse Me" is the first version I ever heard of the song- been playing it at gigs I bet 25 years now...

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Yeah I always admired that amp. Had a chance to buy one back in the 90s. Shortly after that the company was bought out or reorganized and went transistor. The only reason I didn't buy it was because I was hung up on a Mess Boogie Maverick which I still have and use.
The Kustom amps were always solid state AFAIK.

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
All this Cosmo's Factory talk, I need to get the album again!

CCR's version of "Before You Accuse Me" is the first version I ever heard of the song- been playing it at gigs I bet 25 years now...
That album put me onto Bo Diddley, Arthur Crudup, Roy Orbison AMD Marvin Gaye.
Very formative stuff for me.
He could write, sing and play...total freakin' genius.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Pardon my lack of sophistication as it pertains to scale length, but it sounds like shorter scale length equals less string tension and that effects tone? Might work out for me, I'm waiting on an Epi 335 which is shorter scale than my strats.
I don’t notice it as much going from standard fender scale to Gibson, but get down shorter than that (like a jag) and it’s super apparent.

TheFuzzDog

Tele-Meister
so, the mispelling in the title - "Forgery Tone" ... a Freudian Slip? a clever pun? just a typo?

Fogerty WAS sued by his old band for plagerizing his OWN song (Run through the jungle) when he released "old man down the road" -- he DID win the lawsuit :)
No he was NOT. He was sued by Saul Zaentz, who was the owner of Fantasy Records, and held the copyright to the Creedence catalog.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter

The Kustom amps were always solid state AFAIK.
I had that K200 amp 2 x 15 back in about 1970. They were offered with a couple types of speakers, one was I think Altecs (?) with the aluminum dust covers which I had. The other speakers they offered did not have aluminum dust caps. Not aware that they came stock with any JBL's, do you think he had them put in?

Also, does anyone remember what the aluminum dome speakers were? I hated that amp, sterile as heck, but they were reliable.
Uncle Doug does a great review and the last half he looks inside: