1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Forever guitars, what does it for you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blues Twanger, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve built my collection with what I deem to be “heirloom quality” instruments...but I supposed I’ve never really stopped to qualify to even myself what that means. It’s not for value, as I’m sure very nearly 100% of them are worth less than what I paid, sometimes significantly so. Most of these have either been “iconic” models or one-offs commissioned by me.

Iconic models are essentially “a collection wouldn’t be complete without one of these” -type guitars...Blackguard Tele, Burst Les Paul, Sunburst Strat, J-200, etc etc.

“One-offs” may sound more special than it is in some cases...as they’re really just custom orders from the larger manufacturers. Iterations of a standard model that I added my custom requests to (Fender Custom Shop Team Built, Gibson Made to Measure, Collings, etc). But the small, boutique builds feel more like one-offs as many were “come up with an idea and ask the builder if it can be done” type deals (Mario Martin, Bill Asher, Bill Crook, Patch Rubin at Wide Sky).

Regardless which bucket each falls in to, hopefully the reaction to each when I’m gone would be “wow...haven’t seen one like this before!”

And there is a third bucket, I suppose...sentimental value, as mentioned by others. My grandpa’s classical that I started on, my grandparents’ ukuleles, my first electric guitar, etc. These are mostly instruments that people wouldn’t think anything of unless they “knew the story.”

Blues Twanger likes this.
  2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Judging by the length of time I’ve seen Craigslist ads run, it seems there are more than a few folks that’ll have Esteban and Keith Urban guitars forever.
    They seem mostly unsellable.

3. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:lol: I've thought of jumping into the ring with those guys, with my Farwood line. My basic POS model will come with a pick, a plastic gig bag, and a book of matches.

4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

A new Fender James Burton Standard Telecaster from Mars Music has been my forever guitar since '97.

5. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

93baa7e2b4be40edb9dfd556d07807cf_r.jpg
    I've owned my steel National for about 15 years. I'll never sell it, or grow tired of what it allows me to do.

teletimetx and WingedWords like this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I have a few...

For sentimental reasons, my first two guitars (first acoustic and first electric) have been protected from periodic purges and mortgage payment massacres.
    It helps that both of them are excellently made instruments that sound and look good.

Another “forever guitar” was my first *new* (not used) guitar and the first major argument between my blushing bride and myself way back in the summer of 1993 (when the differences of Financial Theory and Philosophy came to an acrimonious head; she was right, and I’ve since adopted her Philosophy...) It also became my #1/“signature” guitar for almost a decade and a half.

The final “forever guitar” in my herd is the pinstriped Telecaster in my avatar pic; it replaced my former #1, and looks to be firmly entrenched in that role...every time I pick up a different guitar, that simple little MIM Tele is the benchmark I measure it against...I won’t say that it will never be replaced as #1, but I would be surprised if it is...

1986 Fender F-250 (First Acoustic)
    1980 G&L F-100 (first electric)
    1992 Fender US Vintage ‘62 Stratocaster
    1995 Fender Telecaster

7. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

first real guitar, a MIM strat will never be sold. 100% sentimental value
    335 i played for so long. my former #1. it's a good investment too. probably never sell unless i'm really desperate.
    my MIM tele is perfect and will never be sold. i don't want to mess with a good thing.
    my guild archtop i got for an absolute steal. and it's from the 60s. neck and price were perfect, it's basically irreplaceable.

the last two i hope that my hands become as familiar with as they did with the 335.

8. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

1993 MIJ ST54 Strat for me. My parents bought it for me in 1994 when I was about 15. It needed work as the neck had had a bad refinish... I’ve absolutely cherished it ever since, finally having it refretted last year.

My wife bought me a lovely CAR rosewood tele about 3 years ago too which I’ll also never give up.

My other keeper is a roasted swamp ash partscaster Strat I built back in June... everything I’ve wanted in a guitar.

I have 7 or 8 other lovely guitars, but they don’t *yet* have life long status.

9. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Don't knock the Keith Urban player guitars before you try one. I bought one a few years back at a rummage sale. The only problem with that guitar was that it smelled like a combination of stale cigarette smoke and mold. Played great and sounded almost as good as my Art & Lutherie. As I bought it to keep at my grandparents house, that didn't go over well. We are all non-smokers in my family. Same sale had a pretty nice Esteban Laminated Acoustic-electric guitar. That one smelled bad too, otherwise I'd have probably kept both of them. Both were definitely on par with mid-ranged Ibanez acoustics.

10. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

As for life-long partners...I have mentioned this before here but I have an Imported Hand-made '94-95 Landola Peavey SD-11p that is better than almost every Martin I have ever played, A cedar top Seagull S6 also bought used, that has a bluesey thump you will never forget. My '96 Am. Std. Tele which was built in the fall of 96, which is when I was born. I bought it with the money I inherited from my adopted grandmother. An Ibanez Jet King 2 which was my first electric, plays like a dream and more versatile than a Strat or Les Paul on their own. I have a mid-60's Aria Classical that can play louder than most steel-string guitars, and a 1967 Silvertone that has a very unique tone, and my 2001 Taylor 322 12-string, which I bought with the money I got for making Eagle Scout.

11. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

BB34BFDA-5F73-47C1-8C64-640A0EEE2254.jpeg

Bought her new in 1981 and she’s been my Number One ever since. I’m seriously considering having her buried with me!

P Thought and teletimetx like this.
  12. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Carvin bass 1984-present
    Carvin guitar 1986-present
    Taylor 412- 1996-present

13. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

My first guitar - still with me, 40 years later :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A+!

14. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

My 83 Ibanez Artist that I've had since new.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  15. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

314D7FF7-621C-4CC3-AF8A-F6309E7260DF.jpeg

It’s looking like my cousin’s Ibanez EX3700 might become a forever guitar for me, as it’s been hanging out in my basement nearly forever. Maybe I should offer her something for it and welcome it into the herd.

16. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

My first guitar is long time, long time gone.

I’m very fortunate to have what I have, though.

This ‘85 SG has the longest history. Bought it used in 1989, $100, for my daughter to play in a punk rock band. It survived that, and in 2003, she gave it back to me. 10 years ago, I put that P94 in the neck.

Maybe one of my grandsons will end up with it.

E952C4EF-6BC4-4037-9DCB-5EB0EA807DD4.jpeg

P Thought likes this.
  17. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have quite a few guitars , but one I could never part with is my '57 Esquire I bought when I was 14 in 1968 . It was my second guitar ( if you can really call my first a guitar ) , it had been well played , stripped , refinished very poorly , the nut was so worn I folded pieces of string wrappers to put under the strings to keep it from buzzing . Rode hard and put away wet !! It was all I could afford and served me well through my first two working bands . I had it restored in 1977 and it is such a treasure to me . My first girlfriend asked me if she could have it , she said if I really loved her I would give it to her . Well ,she's gone , but the Esquire remains !! I've had it for 52 years , now I feel really old ... :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.