1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Forever guitars, what does it for you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blues Twanger, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

As in, why are they guitars you will never (hopefully) part with?

I have two now and it is for different reasons.

My new Am Pro Tele is the guitar I think about playing whenever I can't be playing and a good Tele has always held that role for me. The Candy Apple Red, the attitude, the snarl, it's the image that goes with the word 'guitar' in my head. I've not had the fortune of owning a US-made t-type until now and as far as I can tell after this one I'm fulfilled in that regard.

On the other hand my G&L Legacy is hands down one of the best playing guitars I've ever handled and by a little margin ahead of the AP Tele in that regard. While s-types are not my usual favorite when I do pick this one up I can't put it down. It just invites you to keep playing because it is effortless.

How about y'all?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    bcorig likes this.
  2. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I don’t expect to get rid of any of them at this point. I could definitely use the space and I barely touch some of them, but I don’t care to deal with the logistics of a sale.

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have two forever guitars right now I guess:
    -98 MIM Strat. it just has tone and resonance. OF course it's upgraded electronically etc, but it always did from the git go. I have a Clapton Strat, but always play the MIM.
    - An old Gibson LG-2 acoustic. Man, there is nothing better.
    I could toss everything else and be happy really.

Blues Twanger likes this.
  4. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

Am Pro Tele you say? I think I'm in the same boat. Must be that chunkier C neck.

Wallaby likes this.
  5. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I've got a strat that I've had since the early 90's. It was my main player for 10 years. I doubt I'll ever get rid of it. I haven't played it in years, but every time I've take it out to think about selling it, I just put it back.

mfguitar likes this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a few.
    My avatar guitar, Chet, Duesenberg, Goodall, P bass, and my just acquired Epi Texan.
    I really like all of my other instruments, but these six will be left to my daughter.
    I’m blessed!

Jakedog likes this.
  7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

My wife to be bought me this 38 years ago. They've both changed a little over the years, but they're keepers.

then-now.png

8. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

My ES350...used it on many recordings and played it out live many times. Probably would also hang on to my '84 '57 AVRI Strat and an '86 '52 AVRI Tele.

9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

The MIJ FP360SC Takamine my family gave me when I graduated from LSU is a wonderful souvenir from my youth.
    The American Series Telecaster my wife gave me on our first anniversary holds a lot of sentimental value as well as being an outstanding example of the breed.

I have a handful of other really nice guitars, but for reasons stated above those two are the only ones that could not be replaced.

10. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The one in avatar but it looks like this now. Had it since 1978 20200523_091350.jpg

rangercaster and notroHnhoJ like this.
  11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I've had my '66 Telecaster for well more than half my life, I don't see any reason to change that now. I'm very fond of my MIM Esquire too 'cause it's so fun to play, I won't part with it. Everything else is expendable, but not of enough value to bother moving on.

12. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I bought a bottom-of-the-line Yamaha acoustic FG-110 in 1974, at the Fender SoundHouse in London. It still cost me almost two weeks wages, but I needed a guitar... and that thing has stayed with me all these years. I love it.

13. dhodgeh

dhodgeh TDPRI Member

I've got four:

These two electrics. On the left is the 1969 Stratocaster that I bought new in the early 70's. On the right is my Don Grosh Retro Classic Vintage T. An absolute killer guitar in all areas.

[​IMG]

Wifey found this for me for my 60th Birthday - A Taylor K24-CE in AA flamed Koa.

[​IMG]

And finally a 1947 Martin D-18. Just 'cause........

[​IMG]

Also, that 64 Deluxe in the first photo is not going anywhere as well. ;)

D

14. 53Strat

53Strat Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Well over the years I've bought and sold many guitars.

Discarded heaps others would love to own. What I have left I can't imagine selling as long as I can still play them.

5 electrics and one Ovation Custom Legend from around 2000.

Without doubt these two would be #1 and 2.

P1010172.JPG

One on the left is an American Professional which I Nashvilled with a CS Twisted Tele set and a Texas Special middle pup.

One on the right is My #1 CS Custom Classic from 2006. Great neck, great Tele sound standard 4 way switch and reverse control plate - just a beautiful guitar.

39martind18 and brookdalebill like this.
  15. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

That and the bridge. It feels better on the side of my palm but retains the vintage look I prefer.

Nahtabot likes this.
  16. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Guitars I'd never part with? Oh yeah, I've had a bunch of those.

17. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

My avatar, a 1939 Martin D18. I've had it for 47+ years and never get tired of playing with it- sorta like Mama, but she's only been around for 42+ years.;) Electrics come and go but my MIJ/USA Epiphone Sheraton and Heritage H 550 are here to stay. 20171114_133018.jpg 20171114_133334.jpg

Obsessed, Wallaby and Blues Twanger like this.
  18. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

20180506_092730.jpg Great neck, perfectly set up for slide, with the sound I have in my head. My Mule brass single cone fits me like old shoes and it goes everywhere with me.

Also my avatar MiM Standard (bought cheap with shop damaged and with all hardware and electrics replaced) where by pure chance everything chimes together and this Esquire'd Edwards (made by ESL for the Japanese homemarket) that is simple sonic perfection.

20200315_124358.jpg

19. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

image.jpg image.jpg Because I am a horse trading
    dumb ass, really its instruments that were gifts, those are the ones I’ve had the longest, 25+ years. So that’s a ‘56 P bass, and a Jerry Jones 6 string bass that I have set up as an A baritone guitar.

20. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I have a wealth of "forever guitars." That's a blessing for now, but if we ever have to downsize our living accommodations, that could be a problem. (When you're in your late 60s, you think about such things.) Our home is a small cottage style home, and I've got a total of 17 guitars, 9 hardshell cases, 2 gig bags, 6 amps and a powered speaker jam packed into it.

For me, playability is a definite contributing factor in the "forever" department. But honestly, when we're talking about a keeper forever, it's mostly about sentiment.

A number of the guitars I currently have were gifts, including one that is arguably my #1. It's my MiJ Hohner G-940 dreadnought, bought new in 1983 with a gift of $600 back then, to buy whatever guitar I wanted. My kids have played it, my best friend's son strummed his first chords on it. It's a great player, but it's worth even more to me for what memories it evokes. My wife will have to decide what family member gets it when I'm gone.

[​IMG]

The two teles in my avatar pic (also the two on the right of the couch in the pic below) are my Logan Custom "Firecasters," telecaster style guitars made for me by Bob Logan from planks of lumber salvaged from our house fire. You can't get more sentimental than that.

My other Logan teles were custom built for me, to suit my preferences and meet my specifications. How could I part wit them?

And the acoustic/electric Logan Custom tele style hanging up on the left is the best playing a/e guitar I've got. It's even a better player than the Hohner acoustic above, and that's saying something. Of course, played strictly as an acoustic, it doesn't have the depth and warmth of that 37 year old dreadnought.

[​IMG]

Yeah, if I ever had to downsize my collection, that would be a painful problem.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.