1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Foreign Vintage Market for Fenders

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Taborcaster, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Taborcaster

Taborcaster TDPRI Member

On a lark, I searched for teles on craigslist in London while here for a conference. The prices appeared un-realistically low. Here are a few examples:

https://london.craigslist.co.uk/msg/5647693466.html

https://london.craigslist.co.uk/msg/5647596967.html

Has the fetish character of the American market distorted my vantage point or is this for real?

Thoughts? Wisdom? Ridicule? British TDPRI'ers please weigh in on this. On a side note, the pound dropped a bunch after the Brexit votes so as of this morning these prices became a bit better for this Yankee.

Also, I'm only here until Sunday so please educate me before I return to Michigan.

2. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

Wow. I'm not sure about your question, but those do seem like incredibly good deals! Check Reverb - a '57 tele, same color, runs about $20K. I mean, that's what they're asking for it...

3. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Yeah that first one is extremely cheap...

Often, I find when something seems too good to be true, it is.

I'd be curious to see what happens if someone contacted that ad.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    songtalk likes this.
  4. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Something is definitely not right with either guitar, price-wise, especially the 57. Wonder if it's the same seller? Also wonder what it would cost to buy either one and bring it back to the states? You could make quite a bit of money to just bring either back and flip it here.

5. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

The '57 is a scam. Anyone can list a picture with a cheap price and wait for a sucker to take the bait. Stay well clear would be my advice!

6. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

scam

7. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

Meet at a police station!

Twisted Kerle likes this.
  8. Taborcaster

Taborcaster TDPRI Member

Too good to be true, right? Someone is looking for suckers on craigslist London. Every ad that I emailed has not gotten back to me. I suppose the high-priced guitar market is world-wide now and probably since it's a smaller market in the UK some have figured out how to tricker buyers. Of course, there are some of those in the US--one particularly infamous huckster in LA comes to mind.

Last weekend with some free time, I ventured to the London guitar stores and while I got to play some unique instruments, I was thankful to do my guitar purchasing in the US. $$$$ for even plastic guitars. Yet, there do seem to be some great Euro builders of Gibson-style instruments and gear: ccpickups, Slaman guitars, and Djangojazz picks.

9. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you click on the "by owner" link at the top of the page there are certainly some, ahem, "bargains" to be had. I don't use CL so am not sure what's going on with the site.

For price comparison purposes a London-based vintage guitar shop lists several teles of similar ages to the 57 in hat CL ad here http://www.newkingsroadguitars.co.uk/guitarshop/Fender_Teles.html

10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

European shops have very expensive Fenders and other American vintage guitars, plus not many people in Europe use craigslist. (UK included)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  11. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

At first view, I would think the rosewood one is a scam and the 57 just a typo with a zero missing…

12. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm an American living in London and I've been seeing these kind of ads since I moved here four years ago. I doubt they're real.

13. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

finding a cheap old telecaster in London or any where in the uk is like winning the jackpot on the lottery almost impossible.beware of scammers I buy and sell guitars and belive me if I thought those teles were legit I would of been on them along with the rest of the uk guitar buyers.

14. miserneil

miserneil TDPRI Member

Craigslist is no where near as popular in the UK as it is in the US, generallyUK CL is just full of scammers and fake ads. Don't confuse it with your US CL, it's not in the same league.

We also have Gumtree...you guys have that? It's a little more like CL is in the US but still has it's fair share of scams going on.

There are VERY few bargains to be had these days, ESPECIALLY in the UK! ;-)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.