Forearm and belly carves on the Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by SplitPhase, May 2, 2020.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

standing with a strap the edge is not an issue.

when sitting down, I tend to grip the tele under my arm to keep it where I want it...a softer edge is more comfortable there...

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Contours, on a Tele?? who would ever do such a thing.. Oh, wait... :p

r

DSC_7606.jpeg DSC_7610.jpeg DSC_7611.jpeg DSC_7618.jpeg

3. Burn Yesterday

Burn Yesterday Tele-Meister

Wow, there are people who like sharp edges. Not me, baby, I want curves. Rondo used to sell contoured front-and-back Telecasters. I bought one and the body is glorious beautiful wonderful nice.

4. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

guilty as charged
    Final body Back.jpg

fattboyzz and BBQedIguana like this.
  5. BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana Tele-Meister

I bought a Squier Tele Bullet which is only 1.5 inches thick, so maybe that makes it more comfortable - but even after playing it for hours, at no point do I wish that I had the soft contours of my old HSS Strat-clone that the Tele replaced.

Incidentally, I did have the Strat out today to play a little bit to compare it's bridge pickup (a humbucker) with the bridge pickup of the Tele. I actually found I preferred the heft and bulk of the Tele. I guess it just "fits" me better?

Mind you, I'm still in the honeymoon period. Let's see how I feel in a year. :)

[​IMG]

6. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I play sitting, and my Squier Tele with the tummy cut is the first Tele I've ever had that doesn't cut into my chest. The forearm contour isn't as missed. I love it on my Strats, but it's not essential on a Tele. But now, I don't think I'll ever buy another Tele without the tummy cut.

8. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I love the look of binding on a tele. But like you, I don't like the feeling of the hard edge.
    Same with the contours. I like the look of them but any I've played don't feel comfortable to me. But then I'm the same with strats. Love the tones of strats but don't like how everything feels. I'm very open minded when it comes to the look of guitars but not when it comes to what I like to play.

9. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I love all of my Teles, but do have an extra appreciation for the rib cut (where the back of the guitar contacts my rib cage when playing sitting). None of my Teles have a forearm cut, but I'm sure I would like that too!

[​IMG]

Yep, I like the contours.

BBQedIguana likes this.
  10. MagnusL

MagnusL TDPRI Member

I decided to add both a forearmcut and a bellycut on my first build.
    I hadn't played a tele with both cuts before, but I don't regret it.

This is the most comfortable tele I have ever played.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    BBQedIguana, DHart and Bill Ashton like this.
  11. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

I've owned a couple Teles with curves and contours but I could never bond with them and ultimately sold them. I've always thought my issues with the guitars was due to the sound and playability...I hadn't considered that it might have been the curvature of the guitar bodies. Hmmm...

12. LAPlayer

LAPlayer TDPRI Member

I don't consider myself a purist but I too like the back contour on a Strat but not on a Tele. Can't say why exactly.

Mike M likes this.
  13. rednoise

rednoise TDPRI Member

I can't understand why people would have such an intense dislike of a belly cut. Nobody but you can see it, and it does make the guitar more comfortable if you hang it anywhere near your ribcage.

14. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted

Steve Cropper still plays his Peavey Cropper-Classic (or whatever its called) and if not contoured, it certainly has smoothed out curves. If Steve's in, I'm in! ;)

15. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My first Fender was a Strat and I just couldn't get comfortable with it. It was like a poorly fitting suit. The minute I held and played a Telecaster without contours everything just felt right. I had played a jumbo acoustic for years so maybe it is related to that.

BBQedIguana likes this.
  16. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

And it was said 'He who develops the first practical mass produced solid electric guitar shall utilize an unmolested plank of wood onto which he shall mount all necessary gizmos to amplify it's sound in a pleasing manner. If said plank of wood shall be in any way contoured or buggered about with it will indeed no longer be in the true spirit of the original mass produced solid electric guitar but an abomination which should be cast asunder along with electric bicycles, electric carving knives, ready pasted wallpaper, mop buckets with spinners and quilted toilet paper for use by those of a delicate disposition'. Can't remember who said it, probably William Golding, who also said, correctly, 'nobody knows anything'.

Just my opinion.......................not bothered either way!

Bill Ashton, BBQedIguana and MagnusL like this.
  17. Mike M

Mike M TDPRI Member

What this guy said. Not a purist either, but don't like the look or feel of a contoured Tele, yet appreciate them on a Strat.

There is something so special and right about the original design of a Tele, the perfect form follows function design. I love there are no extra accouterments on it, and in 70 years has mostly stayed unchanged.

Still as perfect as it was in 1950.

BBQedIguana likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.