1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ford's Big Red found.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Apr 11, 2021.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I was fascinated by this as a kid. Riding in old trucks was my day care facility and my dad was really into technology and future stuff. We'd visit car shows and I'd read publications that had info on it. I remember some sort of magazine or soft cover book on future vehicles I carried around until it was tattered. There was the Chrysler turbine car, rotary engines and also Corvette prototypes in it.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37925...emi-truck-big-red-thats-been-lost-for-decades

It might take watching that video to understand the kid's fascination. The TV, food and beverages, single tires, aerodynamics, and of course turbine powered. Most all but the engine because reality and as I type hydrogen and battery powered are becoming a reality.

2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Take THAT, Elon Musk . . .
    ;)

SacDAve and imwjl like this.
  3. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

jvin248, Fuelish, imwjl and 4 others like this.
  4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Is that a soda fountain where the co-driver is standing?

B87FBAC9-FE32-4652-881D-30A915EB1FF2.jpeg

Big Red Rocks!

getbent and imwjl like this.
  5. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

That was cool. I used to love that show on CBS - The 21st Century - when I was a kid. The narrator on this video sounded like Ronald Reagan. Anyone know whether it was him?

imwjl likes this.
  6. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

7. imwjl

Looks like they could have made it from food service equipment.

getbent likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Annnnnd if BobbyZ's new home on wheels doesn't work out, I present to you, for him, THE GREEN MACHINE!

[​IMG]

1955, SRHmusic, SheldonP and 12 others like this.
  9. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

IIRC the 20th Century series was narrated by Walter Cronkite...

Wally likes this.
  10. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Harrison, Ernie, Glenn or Henry?

11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Looks pretty big. How did it get lost?

telleutelleme likes this.
  12. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    read the article. It is a good story.

imwjl and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I liked the whole presentation. It was like going back in time, and seeing the brave new world we were supposed to get! I would like to have driven a truck like that! Everything was so clean and NEW!

imwjl likes this.
  14. imwjl

We did get most or all of that and especially if you recognize it was just a different power plant.

Aerodynamics.
    Power.
    Single wheels replacing duals.
    Electronics.
    Driver living features.

The US doesn't have aerodynamic cab overs but other countries do. For many it's not been a healthy profession - those trim satisfied looking guys in the video - but some drivers do manage a far more health lifestyle. Along with turbines not happening as hoped, add rotary engines but we do have a lot engines with forced induction these days. Another big change not shown then is women. Now they're drivers, engineers and exec like didn't occur in those years.

Trucks have become far more specialized too. Regional or short haul fleets seem to have more of the innovations like the wheels and fuel innovations.

Now a lot of innovations and research come from small businesses and campuses but often funded by bit automotive firms.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Batteries and hydrogen . What could possibly go wrong ?
    May I store my hydrogen peroxide near your hydrazine ?

boris bubbanov and Telekarster like this.
  16. imwjl

Both of battery and fuel cell powered are off to a good start in the context of history or safety. There are fewer fuel cell vehicles but Telsa is in top selling categories now. Most of the BEV semis are in or near ports but I understand fleets that converted to natural gas or are or will be the early adopters of fuel cell.

I'm sure there will be some accidents and that some will use the goofy logic we can see. For example, we haven't stopped at automobile safety or helmets on motorcycles even though some still die. The hydrogen distribution is no doubt a challenge but people are working on it. I'm aware of Paccar and Toyota working together and Bill Gates interest in fuel cell but don't know that he's made investments in hydrogen technologies like QuantumScape.

drlucky, John Owen and Teleguy61 like this.
  17. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Gasoline is not permitted at Indianapolis in open wheeled racing .
    Goofy logic is that which equates safety with personal choice .
    You really want to make automobiles safe ? Require helmets for all persons in them . How do you like that goofy logic ?
    Hydrogen distribution , storage and idiot proofing the fueling of vehicles are only the beginning .
    Hydrogen is freely and openly combustible unlike gasoline . Gasoline fumes are explosive , not the liquid . Hydrogen is explosive .
    I don't give a rat's butt what Bill Gates has invested in unless it is the truth .
    One thing is for sure at this time . Those dying from hydrogen explosions will make great copy for 24 hr news .
    I'll take my chances in a Pinto Hatchback before I will allow anyone to sit me atop a hydrogen fueled bomb .

18. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    drlucky and aeyeq like this.
  19. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

imwjl likes this.
  20. imwjl

At least these days Bill Gates is known for candor and transparency.

I'm pretty sure we have more than a dozen car manufacturers shipping or testing fuel cells plus bus, truck and and fork lift truck makers. I've enjoyed the news on those developments and could see they've given far more attention to potential problems than most car makers did in the Pinto era and long after.

As much as I understand your safety concerns, I have a hard time following or buying your usually maintaining anything new with automobiles has to be perfect or stay away even if it improves the status quo. Your wanting things idiot proof same time you espouse things with the flaws being worked at.

Military research is pushing new stuff now just like their interest in the turbine that powered or powers Big Red here. I don't know if Ford's there these days but the GM SURUS is an interesting out there or advanced thing, and I recall they have been testing fuel cell GM pickups for a while. Boeing and I think the Germans have been pursing powering aircraft with hydrogen.

boris bubbanov, drlucky and Teleguy61 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.