Ford Motor Company 114 years ago today.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
The first Model T Ford rolled off the line 114 years ago today. The reactions to Ford's recent efforts with EVs make me smile in that context. Do you think TDPRI John's riding a horse and has been fibbing about his 1977 F-150 and 2006 Crown Vic?

848213.jpg

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
If you go to Greenfield Village in Dearborn they have a fleet of model tea’s of various years including a centennial model or two which was Ford making a model T from the ground up 20 years ago.

When my son was young we had a yearly pass and we would literally go to Greenfield Village twice a week because we were just killing time before naps.

And often it would be during the week in the school year and there would be nobody there and the guy would just drive us around we would get off then get right back in and he would drive us around again.

They are great cars and extremely affordable for Classics because no one gives a crap about them anymore.

And the people that do are all either selling them cuz they’re getting older or their estate is selling theirs.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
After a decade of Fix Or Repair Daily (FORD) I've turned to the Dodge side of the force. Ok, I kept my Mustang.... lol...

See: my thread about my 20-year-old F150.

From 27 years working on job sites with contractors of all trades driving the three main pick ups I would say this -

On average they all lasted the same and need the same amount of wrenching.

But that’s just me being around them every day…

And I would say that the Mopar guys were the most defensive about their trucks with the biggest chips on their shoulders and the ones with the most stickers of their own brand of truck - on that truck. 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Have a buddy who has 3 Model-T's. Goes to events and they drive around in period dress. He had lots of stories about break downs. The events always have a tow truck on hand. Neat cars though.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
I like that color! What's the specs of your Ranger? I had a Ranger years ago. It was a great truck until some dude decided it would look better if he T boned it for me :eek: I wouldn't mind having another one to complement my F150 ;)

The color is "Cactus Gray", kind of a color shift of gray and green. It's a XLT with the black appearance package.

What's interesting is how large the truck is compare to the Rangers from 20+ years ago. It's also quite powerful and quick in spite of having only a 4 cylinder engine.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
If you go to Greenfield Village in Dearborn they have a fleet of model tea’s of various years including a centennial model or two which was Ford making a model T from the ground up 20 years ago.

When my son was young we had a yearly pass and we would literally go to Greenfield Village twice a week because we were just killing time before naps.

And often it would be during the week in the school year and there would be nobody there and the guy would just drive us around we would get off then get right back in and he would drive us around again.

They are great cars and extremely affordable for Classics because no one gives a crap about them anymore.

And the people that do are all either selling them cuz they’re getting older or their estate is selling theirs.
I highly recommend a visit to the museum complex and the Rouge tour in this order, and it can be a great and modestly priced vacation.

Visit the museum first. Take note of all those signs that state how long one had to work to buy that item in the day. Take a day for that. On day two visit the Greenfield Village with the Rouge plant at the end. Seeing the state of the art pickup manufacturing really puts it all in context.

If you visit from the west cross Lake Michigan via one or both of the ferries. They help put the technology into context and they are very different. One is one of the last steam powered ferries if not the last in the US. The other ferry is a modern jet type. The east side of the lake has nice sandy beaches and more onshore wind. Mid and late summer have a lot of tremendous fruit on the MI side and the incomparable sweet corn and tomatoes on WI side.

Take your passports and have a meal in Canada, but I read the fantastic Motor Burger in Windsor closed but will or has a Detroit location. Have some Detroit style pizza. If you're rather a foodie a store I think is Westborn Market near the complex is nice.

Hotels and motels near the Henry Ford complex have shuttles. That gets you door to door service over a hike from sizable parking lots.

My first memories of the complex were my dad taking me with on a business trip in 1965. I am really glad we took our kids before they were too old.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
What's interesting is how large the truck is compare to the Rangers from 20+ years ago.

That's what I'm kind of wondering about, actually. Haven't been in one in recent years, but I've seen em like yours on the road and they seem darn near as big as my 2010 F150. I'm wondering, in fact, if I even need that F150 or could these newer Rangers actually be enough for me... hmmm.... 🤔 I use my trucks pretty hard, as work trucks, but maybe I need to check one of these Rangers out. They sure do look good! If the newer ones can get fairly similar hauling/working power with all the newer tech, perhaps I wouldn't really notice anything of any consequence power wise.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
After a decade of Fix Or Repair Daily (FORD) I've turned to the Dodge side of the force. Ok, I kept my Mustang.... lol...
My brother-in-law says the reason they put that heater in the tailgates of Ford pickups is so you can warm your rearend while you wait for the tow truck. My neighbor at my old house bought a brand-new Ford F-250 diesel, and a nice fifth-wheel trailer. He was going to spend his vacation at the coast in his new rig. It's 128 miles to Santa Maria, he broke down before he got there.

Buckaroo65

Tele-Afflicted
My brother-in-law says the reason they put that heater in the tailgates of Ford pickups is so you can warm your rearend while you wait for the tow truck. My neighbor at my old house bought a brand-new Ford F-250 diesel, and a nice fifth-wheel trailer. He was going to spend his vacation at the coast in his new rig. It's 128 miles to Santa Maria, he broke down before he got there.
That’s not a heater, it’s a stove in case the tow truck takes a really long time. Like if it’s a dodge.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
See: my thread about my 20-year-old F150.

From 27 years working on job sites with contractors of all trades driving the three main pick ups I would say this -

On average they all lasted the same and need the same amount of wrenching.

But that’s just me being around them every day…

And I would say that the Mopar guys were the most defensive about their trucks with the biggest chips on their shoulders and the ones with the most stickers of their own brand of truck - on that truck. 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
My explorer was 20 years old only really had problems with the smog sensors. Passed the tests but the sensors needed to be replaced. My 64 dodge van was sold to a fellow that drove it to NYC, he called me after it hit 1,000,000 miles and said it was still going strong...