Ford Maverick reborn.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jun 8, 2021 at 1:20 PM.

1. Falstaff1960

Falstaff1960 Tele-Meister

If I were to buy a truck, it would probably be a 1988 to 1999 Chevy 1500 extended cab, preferably one of the earlier ones. Just my preference. I like my trucks like I like my country music, older and a little rawer.

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Actually I liked the size/look of the Maverick back then. A small block would give it some street cred. The Mustangs were getting bigger. The Falcon was getting phased out. It filled a niche.

I had a GF who owned a '70 Maverick. It was just the inline six with an automatic. Fun car. It was very low maintenance. If the new truck is as reliable as that old Maverick, Ford will have a winner.

Chiogtr4x and getbent like this.
  3. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Oh yeah... now it's coming back to me. Mine was a 2.3L, not the 1600. It was my buddy that had the 1600 in a Pinto. FWIW I beat the hell out of that thing and it never let me down. One of it's big advantages was it would start in very cold weather without being plugged in. 20 below, no problem... though you had to let it warm up a little. Pretty sure not ALL the cylinders were firing at first but it was running.

What can I say, it HAS been over 40 years since then and neither of them were cars we dreamed about!

4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Now this is a reminder - the Pinto engine talk - of those extremely craptactular efforts to get more power and put turbos on those engines. It's almost hard to believe where Ford (and VW) have gone with turbos in those decades. I recently saw a woman in a Golf R beat someone from a stop light where I doubt most knew that plain looking Golf had 320 HP and clearly more traction.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

looks like something Patrick McGoohan might have tried escaping in

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  6. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

In all fairness , I think that I do grasp your point .
    Protect them too much and they won't know how to navigate life and , yes , there is good chance that they will repeat some of your dumbest mistakes . We all tend to .

Whatizitman likes this.
  7. imwjl

Having just helped some young people buy a car I noticed Toyota moved some names, models and configurations around but the concept - small hatchback - and platform are still the same. I predict that might remain the same - decent modest size utilitarian rig.

My guess for this little pickup style not being BEV is how constrained Ford, VW and GM are for batteries. IIRC, for the near future, Tesla's new competition can't come close in sales. A 10s of thousands units vs hundreds of thousands units.

8. imwjl

I love how so many functional products are designed for women now. One grandmother and my mom both lost husbands at an early age. They were amazing strong capable women and also feminine. They'd say or show explicit or implicit whether products or attitudes about the extra crap they had to go through or complain about products not designed for them.

We are hoping to be set for cars in the near future having bought the wagon a year ago this week. My hope is something electric like this vehicle or a van when the industry is not so constrained for battery capacity. Tesla clearly has the edge for battery capacity but no rumored vehicles that interest us.

Whatizitman likes this.
  9. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Back in 2005 I thought I had a hard time finding a used small 2WD truck with a manual. I ended up with a '99 S10. Too bad they've all rusted out now and small trucks are gone.
    I want it low, and handling as car-like as possible, and have a full length bed.

Maybe it's just the photos, but this new maverick looks too big, and the bed's too small. I'm betting they can't do a real bed with unibody, and that means it can't do real bed stuff. Right?

If there's any chance this could have a manual option, maybe with the ecoboost, and be able to haul a motorcycle, there's a chance I could end up with one.

NoTeleBob likes this.
  10. imwjl

It's based on a shared platform and really an open back CarUV.

Even in earlier times the long bed small small pickups were not big sellers when larger cabs became popular. Not many of them the high margin upgraded trim. Thus, I think we won't see anything like those earlier small pickups any time soon.

11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

If Ford (and other auto makers) are specifically researching car needs of women, they are ahead of the game. They're 50% of population, still do the vast majority of childcare, go to college in higher numbers than males, and salaries and employment opportunities are increasing across the board for them, despite historical institutional and cultural barriers. I'm not being political. I'm stating facts.

I've learned to listen intently to my wife when it comes to large purchases. I have a tendency to make every excuse in the world for what I "need". She does too, in her own way. But she likes to be practical. For me it's more about fun. It's her personality. And she's other worlds smarter than I am. So her "dream" cars and such end up being very reasonable. She's the reason we're living well now, and are solvent. Period.

My wife has an HRV that she absolutely loves. For me, it's not the most comfortable to drive long distance, doesn't have a lot of get-up-and-go, and MPG subpar for its size (IMO). But everything else about it is phenomenal. Her current job is close by so gas isn't an issue. It's reasonable priced, small and easy to park, has AWD for weather, and the inner layout and design is just other worldly for how small the car is. Checks all her boxes. She's the practical one in our duo, by far. Since I commute further, am more of a shiny object person, and tend to be the driver on road trips, my "needs" can be somewhat different. But man, for around town, downtown parking, home depot runs, etc... the HRV is the bees knees. No pickup backend. But for purposes of the discussion, highly relevant.

She won't buy a truck that doesn't at least have an extra cab. I had a standard cab pickup when we met. It got traded for an old VW bus a year or so after we married, which in turn got sold a couple of years later, after our first kid. I've never replaced either. No need to. I've only lusted after both since LOL. Same with my old JMP 1987 stack I sold right after I sold the bus. I've never replaced that old Marshall. Everything I have now is smaller, cheaper, and/or or has an MV.

My mid-life crisis dream car was always a jeep (CJ, wrangler, etc...). I've never owned one. And there's a good chance I never will. I have zero use for one. And the pricing for even a basic two door is ridiculous, and simply not a good value. Now, if I won the lottery.... But if I hadn't married my wife, I probably would have tried to own at least one Jeep by now. I say tried, because it either would have been repossessed, or just part of a cycle of buy/trade/sell/debt that is in my mind now a form of mental and physical slavery I never want to find myself in again.

Honda is redesigning the HRV for next year. They're tight lipped about it, but all indications point to improvements, sans hybrid or full electric. The new Global version is hybrid only. The US version is unique in that way. Not sure about Canada. Why, we can only speculate. Anyway, she's holding out for next year. We were very close recently to getting a 2021 and handing hers to the kiddos who will both in college in a mountain town. Perfect college kid car.

OTOH, the joint subaru and toyota electric platform will yield a new crossover next year for both brands. That will likely tick most of the boxes for both. Car will likely be mine, so the added "luxury" over an HRV will be good. Price will be steep for me, though. I have a mental limit of $30k. Anything over just seems extravagant in pricewise to me. Hence, my interest in the Maverick. I'm not hopeful the gas AWD Maverick will be good on gas. But there are rumors Ford could extend the hybrid platform sooner than later. Maybe just in time for me to buy new.

Lots of interesting stuff in the future. Kudos to Ford for leading the way and taking risks toward that end. Ironic to me that Toyota and Subaru are now the old fuddy-duddies, who had to be brought kicking and screaming into the electric age.

imwjl likes this.
  12. Whatizitman

I kinda look at it like 4x4 vans. I'd love to have a production 4x4 econoline. Lots of folks would. But I'd love to have a lot of things I don't have, or need, or are willing to spend money on. I assume desire or coolness factor just wasn't enough for Ford, Chrysler, or Chevy to make full size 4x4 vans. Gotta go through Quigley, or whatever. In any case, the econoline is all but gone. The Transit is here to stay. And it certainly doesn't have the same undercarriage as an Econoline. They've been unibody for years now. Ford recently introduced an AWD version. Not 4x4. Not with a transfer case. Not sure where Mercedes currently is on that. The point being, no more 4x4 Econolines, out of the few that existed in the first place.

Probably the same for small, standard, ladder frame, stick trucks. Maybe we'd buy them in droves. I'm not too convinced we would. I do like to think of having one, though. :cool::D Kinda romantic and nostalgic. Times have changed.

drmordo likes this.
  13. Whatizitman

14. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

At least they didn't name it "Pinto" ... :D

drmordo likes this.
  15. bottlenecker

Again?

I know, and if anything I'd like to go smaller. If I designed my perfect truck nobody would buy it. The VW rabbit I owned a few years ago convinced me that the tech gains of the last 40 years have been offset by the problems inherent with the things people will actually buy.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021 at 2:40 PM
    drmordo likes this.
  16. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I was kidding. They have them in AU. They’re cool as heck. They have a Holden that is the descendant of the El Camino, too.

17. bottlenecker

I figured. I always envied the utes.

Torren61 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.