Ford Maverick reborn.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jun 8, 2021 at 1:20 PM.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

man, I dig the bobcat behind it.

imwjl likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

This Maverick thread is giving me more mid '70's HS flashbacks of driving my dad's, for work & fun with friends.

Like going to the pool Summer '75, afternoons, for a few hours.

Coming back to the Maverick in the parking lot with black scalding-hot plastic seats, which peeled my skin!
    Couldn't touch the steering wheel either!
    Yet somehow, a fond memory. I dug the Maverick, To be a kid, driving!

Edit- for the young ones- standard shift, crank windows, NO power steering ( don't remember if our Maverick had A/C - dad was cheap)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    getbent likes this.
  3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

I just went through a bunch of the Ford marketing stuff for the Maverick. They are very clear and upfront that the target market is urban rec lifestyle DIYers. Women in particular. Much design went into ergonomics for average women height and reach. The target market is more likely to have an eBike or kayak than a motorcycle. And more likely to pick up art supplies than sheetrock. Check out the first pic than comes up on Ford dot com. The dude with the beard? I don't see him lugging any band gear. Groupie?

maverick.png

JuneauMike and imwjl like this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

^^^ I knew it! Hipsters ruin everything.

JuneauMike likes this.
  5. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

There was a 1600 cc pushrod engine as the baseline power plant . They are bulletproof unlike the OHC 4 cylinder . All cast iron and no aluminum cylinder head to warp when you didn't replace the water pump with the timing belt .
    I think its a '75 since it has the large bumper . Definitely Gen II model .
    So many of these had large V8's installed and became dragstrip machines or people were afraid of them and they were junked . It is not my favorite color being the dark blue , but 45 years later , beggars can't be choosers .

6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

We replaced an old Ford Ranger and SuperDuty we only used within the ski area with a pair of these. All the homework pointed to the Kubota diesel and hydrostatic drive train as best for how hard we are on machines. They've been good for the first two years.

We rarely miss having the full-size pickup. It was superior for plowing but if needed a snow cat can more more snow in a hurry than any pickup truck.

I was a John Deere fan most of my life and use Gators on another property to know how much they're not in same league as the Kubota 1100s. The Kubota utility tractor in the background has been tremendous. I'm long over the lack of green paint and understanding why people like them.

[​IMG]

Stubee likes this.
  7. Whatizitman

That and exhaust fumes from regular gas. For us little kids rolling around in the back area of the wagon (no seats), exhaust fumes were the norm. To this day I still get a hint of nausea of any wiff of car exhaust. I run my car ACs on recirc 24/7.

I also fell out of a moving station wagon when I was 6, right onto a major busy thoroughfare in Laguna Beach, CA. Front passenger just opened, and out I went. That's another story. Either way, I don't have a lot of fond memories of station wagons LOL.

getbent likes this.
  8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I remember my mom slamming on the brakes and my little brother flying from back of the 1966 Mercury wagon to front and then waiting in doc office when he was getting stitched up.

getbent and Whatizitman like this.
  9. Whatizitman

I was into ruining things way before hipsters made it cool.

getbent and NoTeleBob like this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

I'm gonna pretend that I probably never heard of this.

getbent and Whatizitman like this.
  11. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

Poor choice to use that name in the USA. Maverick conjures up images of a wannabe car from the 70's.

I expect failure due to this poor marketing / name choice. No truck buyer wants to say "I bought a new Ford Maverick".

getbent likes this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

This assumes the buyer has car memories of 50 years ago.

stonetone7, getbent and Whatizitman like this.
  13. Whatizitman

Right. This is why I hate that "we didn't have car seats and helmets, and we all survived!" crap.

Survivor bias. Many kids weren't lucky enough to live to tell the tale. My wife is in awe of the stuff I got myself in and out of, way out of sight of any adult. Stuff we'd never dream of encouraging our kids to do without supervision. I don't take living for granted as a grown up. No sir. The reality is that much of existence is pure dumb luck. Period. End of story.

getbent likes this.
  14. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

I can see the Camaro viewpoint. It wasn't a bad shape for those days, it just needed some help to remove the "plain Jane" look. If you got a two door with the 302 and modded it or stuck a Boss 302 in there or a 4b 351C it was a quickish car. Buddy of mine had one with all the external fixins but when you opened the hood... straight-6. Big "Oh, that's too bad" response every time.

getbent likes this.
  15. Whatizitman

In other words, no one on TDPRI. :D

getbent likes this.
  16. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

Car names live in infamy forever. Notice they haven't reissued the Edsel or the Pinto :)

But more seriously, I see name issues and "minor" marketing errors like this result in major problems all the time. The product gets a bad rap from 10% of the crowd due to something like this and the next thing you know, it's spread into a negative reputation for the product (good or bad).

17. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Live before you die .
    The choice few that grow old and better are far better to be around than those that grew old and bitter .
    I know a 83 year man that ended up with a hip replacement after playing volleyball . How the injury happened is of little importance . The fact that it took place while being alive does matter .
    Embracing life does not demand fearing the inevitable , death .
    Life itself is risky , at best .
    Go ahead and build a bubble around yourself , your wife and your children . That bubble would suffocate me . Please don't suffocate others .

18. Whatizitman

The Maverick was neither the Pinto nor the Edsel. Nor the Chevy Corvair, for that matter. Other than just being a dumb 70s Ford, it has no historical narrative associated it with it. No huge law suits or whatever. No future presidential candidates wrote books about it.

TDPRI. :rolleyes: I'm talking to the crowd that can't understand why 20 year olds don't know or care who Pete Townsend is. Or more importantly, why it doesn't matter that they don't.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021 at 2:14 PM
    getbent likes this.
  19. Whatizitman

That wasn't my point. But well said anyway.

20. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

Personally, I'm shocked that they didn't just come up with a new name. It's not like there aren't other "words you can use as car names because you're not very creative and you don't care a lot about copyright noise". I'm sure there were some long discussions in the Ford conference room about this name and the potential issues.

But, agreed then. We meet here again in three to five years and see if the Ford Maverick survived.

Whatizitman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.