Ford Maverick reborn.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jun 8, 2021.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

u

their company, their names, their marketing... not mine. I am fine with the electric mustang. it looked pretty cool.. certainly better than the mustang II and the even uglier early 80's mustangs... I also remember the ford courier (which my buddies dad and I used to go garage sale shopping in with his 'topper' on it... it worked fine, the new maverick will work fine.

Yeah, the maverick had the squeaky front spring thing like the falcons and the mustang... just a quirk of the time... and, no, it wasn't a great car, so, why not reuse a great name for a different kind of car?

now when, the EV version of the Kcar comes out... I will have a chuckle about that.

imwjl, Buckocaster51 and Whatizitman like this.
  2. getbent

my only concern would be the rebound effect of high velocity farts... but, could be cool.

3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Cheaper than coming up with a new one, I guess? The only company that rehashes titles more than Ford is Honda. I suspect it has to do with maintaining copyright, versus fighting to establish a new one.

The Honda Passport, Odyssey, and Pilot. Granted, none were considered bad 70s American cars. But you get the drift. I imagine Ford is banking on the fact that their target Maverick market wasn't even alive until after the original Maverick was long gone. How many Honda Odyssey van owners liken their van to a glorified go cart? Those of us who remember the original Odyssey only do out of nostalgia. They were rigid with no suspension. Go carts. Not until the full suspension FL350, and later the Pilot, were they worthy of respect. We can trace the modern day side-by-side to the Honda Pilot.

Passport:
    [​IMG]

Odyssey:

[​IMG]

Pilot:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Obsessed likes this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Electric truck? How bout Gelding.

5. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That was my first thought too, my old high school girlfriends parents had a Maverick, and it was a POS. The new small hybrid truck looks pretty cool though. Just don't don't know if I could get past that name...

Fuelish likes this.
  6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm with @getbent liking the old names and I'm on record here saying I'd have chosen one of the classic '50s - '60s Ford people hauler names.

I know this. I'm already seeing more of the e Mustang CarUVs than expected. My employer's eagerly waiting for the work vehicles and looking into how we can do refrigerated delivery. I'm really proud of Ford and GM for executing on some good stuff.

7. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Could Ford have other plans for “Ranchero”?

8. imwjl

There's more than one version of reborn Bronco name. I wondered what old name will be used for vehicles bigger than the Mach E.

9. getbent

will only excite the vegetarians.

Stubee likes this.
  10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Galaxie.

Hells yeah.

EDIT:

[​IMG]

EDIT 2:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    getbent and imwjl like this.
  11. imwjl

That's what I've thought all along but I confess I'm a boomer. When I was a kid the Galaxie wagons and their competition were state of the art vehicles. It was a huge point of pride and perception of well being or safety for my dad's WWII vet cohort when the moms were driving their kids in 1960s big 3 flagship wagons.

Now I see my kids surprisingly into 1960s - 80s things. Maybe the old names would work.

Whatizitman likes this.
  12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Maybe Pinto trucks Ford_Pinto_Truck_-_The_Pinchero_(2908917206).jpg

13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I know where there rests a '75 Pinto Hatchback with a pushrod fourbanger and a clutch/4 speed . Been inside since being parked there . I don't need no stinking hybrids .

uriah1 likes this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Vegetarians drive pickups, too.

[​IMG]

JuneauMike, getbent and imwjl like this.
  15. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

'75 Pinto with pushrods? I had a '74 Mustang II with the same four cylinder the Pinto had. No pushrods that I recall. OHC.

And the Mustang II wasn't nearly as bad as people say. I liked mine. It was better than a Pinto! So there all you naysayers. Thpppppt!

The Maverick caught my attention but a 4.5' bed is an issue if you want to haul motorcycles, and I'm hearing CVT transmission? I've never liked any CVT I've ever driven, so that's a bummer... 40mpg would be good though. FWD doesn't bother me, hopefully it's a got a little lower bed height because of that? Or is it not taken advantage of because of the AWD option? Yeah, I could go read the reviews again but what's the fun in that when I can just ask here?

16. imwjl

A friend's mom had blue version of that. We loved how she would drop us off at a state forest for a whole day with our bikes and metal lunch boxes.

I thought my mom's Buick handled better. It was later I learned it was that other mom's any time Valium and Martinis that influenced the being dropped off in the woods and how the car handled.

We'll have to consider the Valium and Martinis another 1960s feature.

Whatizitman and getbent like this.
  17. getbent

I apologize IF ONLY because your justification of the Mustang II is that it is at least better than the Pinto! Fair enough. I will grant the Mustang II > Pinto

I have a very vivid memory of riding in my sisters avocado green pinto with goldish brown interior through the mean streets of LA listening to 'The world is a ghetto' on her am radio and seeing the traffic light at 9th and San Pedro and feeling like Richard Roundtree... I think I was 11.

DesmoDog and imwjl like this.
  18. getbent

wont most people associate maverick with top gun?

and galaxie is cool, but not a horse.... and it makes me think of the thing on the cat's collar in MIB.

19. getbent

I had a FWB who had a galaxie in college... I am fond of that vehicle. She is now a Lutheran Minister and continues to be a spirited and inspiring person!

20. imwjl

What the vegan 3 wheelers look like here and they're spreading. Some friends and associates do the engineering and marketing of these things.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.