For used gear...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Mar 20, 2020.

For used gear, which do you trust the most?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2020.
  1. Guitar Center

33 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Reverb.com

42 vote(s)
    42.4%
  3. Music Go Round

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. Craig's List

18 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. eBay

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Pawn shops

10 vote(s)
    10.1%
  7. Other

22 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

OK, here's some meta-thread for you...

LG, your comments after the initial post imply you feel these responses are directed right at you. Maybe I'm the outlier here, but I'm not sure that's the way a thread like this is usually perceived. I saw it as merely a discussion topic, to be contributed to in a general sense. And frankly, if you did want specific responses, you failed to give us any context to help us provide information that might be useful to you, in particular.

Is there something specific you seek here? What's the reason for the post, if not as general discussion?

:)

2. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Guitar Center because you can physically see the instrument in person.

Reverb - because you can check on the seller/buyers ratings and it allows for communication between the parties.

JuneauMike likes this.
  3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Well, of course I wasn't posing the question as merely a mental exercise. I did seek to benefit specifically from the input of others. Accordingly, I listed specific choice parameters of sources for buying used that are accessible to me, and included the "Other" category for those answers that might broaden my horizons. I asked for explanations of favored sources. I specified "used gear." I wasn't trying mandate specific responses, I was just giving general parameters, which many have indeed answered, that have indeed proved useful to me.

If you want to know what specifically is on my GAS list, I'm thinking about picking up a Peavey amp, leaning towards a red stripe Studio Pro 112, although several Peavey options (teal stripe Studio Pro 110, Bandit 65, Bandit 112 red stripe, etc.) would interest me, if they come available.

4. LGOberean

Okay, here’s how the poll shapes up so far:

Rev. – 30 votes, 42.3%
    GC – 23 votes, 32.4%
    Other –17 votes, 23.9%
    CL – 15 votes, 21.1%
    Pawn – 8 votes, 11.3%
    eBay – 3 votes, 4.2%
    MGR – 2 votes, 2.8%

The comments in the thread thus far seem to track with the poll results. I’ve got a question for those experienced with Reverb.com. Since I’ve never used it, I’m not sure how much, if any, negotiation is allowed.

I did a search for “Peavey Studio Pro 112 TransTube” and got seven results. Six of the seven listings had prices ranging from $135 to $185, which were more or less acceptable. But each of these listings said, “Local Pickup Only,” and yet the least distant of any of them from Corpus Christi, Texas was 1,500 miles.

Obviously, I’m not going to be driving across state lines right now, and I’m not going to spend more in gas than the amp is worth.

The seventh listing said, “free shipping,” but the price was $325! That’s about the price for a brand new under warranty Peavey Envoy 110. No way am I gonna buy a 16+ old amp for that.

So I'm wondering just how this can be such a popular source for used gear. As I was typing this, I thought maybe it was just an unlucky choice of a not so popular amp, and I should try a few more searches for other gear to see how I fare with those. But for me right now, the Studio Pro 112 is what I'm interested in. So I'm back to thinking that if Reverb.com is so great, it's because the sellers or Reverb itself has an aspect of negotiation that makes it work well for buyers. (Or maybe this site is a seller's delight?)

So, anyone care to share their experiences on negotiating with sellers? Were you successful? Is negotiating even allowed?

5. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

I'm confused by the word "trust". From my perspective no trust is required. A guitar is for sale, I examine it, decide whether I like it, negotiate the price and exchange cash (or credit) for guitar on the spot. For any online transactions of values a little bit of due diligence goes a long way not to mention using a credit card which provides protection (and not paypal.)

In most of Canada Kijiji is king for the used instrument sales... far better, cheaper, and more straight-forward than any online site. Decades ago ebay used to be good but its gone to hell helped along greatly by their global shipping scam nonsense program.

fishermike likes this.
  6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I've sold a couple of things through FB Marketplace recently. It was odd to me that I had better luck there than CL for the same item, but I guess social media will assimilate us all.

Deathray, nojazzhere and LGOberean like this.
  7. LGOberean

I'm not sure why the word "trust" is perceived as a sticking point. You just described eBay as "used to be good but its [sic] gone to hell." Another way to express that is you no longer trust eBay.

And BTW, I tend to agree with that assessment. As I've said, I did some transactions on eBay in the past, as both a buyer and a seller, but it seems to me that eBay is riskier than it used to be, especially as a seller.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

GC has a no-hassle/no-questions-asked return policy, and I've had good luck buying used there, so they would top the list. I've also had good luck with eBay, Reverb, and CL. CL you have to be more careful, as there is no recourse if things go bad. Never bought from MGR... Pawnshops I'd put in a similar category with CL. Local stores is not on the list, and I would put them high on the list.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The term "trust" didn't trip me up....I assumed you simply meant a seller that could be reasonably relied on to represent an item accurately, ship reliably, and stand behind what they are selling.
    And as to places to post to sell and buy used equipment.....I had a Fender Blues Junior III for sale, listed on Craigslist for several weeks (couple months?) with ZERO serious interest. I got a few extremely low-ball offers, and that's it. My grandson suggested Face Book Marketplace, which I had never heard of. I put it there, and within a week I had three serious inquiries, and one that we met up the next weekend, and, since I drove a little further than I wanted to, he actually paid over my asking price, to compensate for time and gas. I have little doubt that the benefits to FB Market won't last.....it will get spoiled like CraigsList....but enjoy it while it lasts. ;)

LGOberean likes this.
  10. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I've purchased two used guitars from Sam Ash in Huntington, NY. I've had a guitar shipped to a nearby GC that turned out to have been modified in a way that made it a bad fit for me. I've purchased two used guitars on eBay and both were exactly as described. Still, I prefer to be able to play them before buying, especially guitars that are easily modified.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. LGOberean

Yes, GC's "no-hassle/no-questions-asked" return policy is a good safeguard. And as I've said, I bought a Breedlove guitar there used, but it was already in the store when I walked in, I didn't request it or order it from another store.

Which brings me to your "local stores" observation. I didn't specifically list "Local stores" in my poll, but I have bought used from GC, so that qualifies. There is another store I frequent in town, a Mom & Pop institution known as Clawson's Music. I've bought used from them as well. So I hear you on the local stores listing, or lack thereof. I guess that can be somebody's "Other" vote if they're so inclined to vote for it in the poll.

As for local pawn shops, I've had one successful purchase from them, but that was 9 years ago. For the most part, they either don't have what I'm looking for, or else they price it like it's gold-plated. And they haven't come down on their pricing much, if any at all, when I try to haggle. I'll probably still try them every now and again, though. As for CL, I think I've already mentioned in this thread that I've had good luck with CL as a seller, but not as a buyer.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

Chicago Music Exchange... They actually open up their used guitars, make note of what is stock, what is not, measure all the specs. Etc. They seem a little more expensive, but knowing exactly what you're looking at is worth it to me.

13. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

No, you have misunderstood my point. There is no sticking point. It's not about "trusting" ebay. It's about whether it makes sense. And I agree with you it's risky as a seller especially for high value items. Purchasor gets your item while Ebay holds your money til they get the ok.

14. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

I bought three guitars on ebay and bought two and sold one on reverb. I bought six or seven effects pedals on both, but I can't remember which ones on got where. I am happy with every transaction.

On purchases I did limit myself to sellers who had a high number of transactions and near-perfect ratings.

15. LGOberean

Oh, okay, after your subsequent post, I went back to your first, and although I knew your word choice wasn't "sticking point" (my words, I admit it), what I first read seemed synonymous to me. Now that I've gone back and re-read your wording, I realize that even in my own mind I wouldn't consider "confused" and "sticking point" as 100% synonymous. (Not that I've actually taken the time to look up definitions of said terms.)

And the oft-repeated admonition in this thread to do due diligence in examining items for sale, negotiating, etc. is fine, but for those of you that don't know me, telling me to examine, research, be knowledgeable, or take it slow is like preaching to the choir. Concerning examining/investigating, my youngest daughter once accused me of putting the "anal" in analytical. :lol: As for impulse buying, or an impetuous nature, that's not me. I've often said that if we were in the boat on the Sea of Galilee and Jesus said, "Come," my wife would be stepping over the gunwales of the boat to walk to the Lord, while I, OTOH, would be on the other side of the boat taking depth soundings. :oops:

In my mind, asking about trusted sources for used gear never meant that I wouldn't do due diligence. My inquires were and are about which sources--in the experience and therefore the opinions of--my fellow TDPRIers deem to be trustworthy...or reliable/worthwhile/reputable/efficacious/or whatever synonym you care to inset here. :twisted:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  16. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

I’m a big fan of FB marketplace. I have sold two guitars on there, and recently traded a guitar for an amp. Very happy both times. And yes, you can vet the person you are about to deal with. Two thumbs up!

JayFreddy likes this.
  17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

LG,

Reverb is the Starbucks of gear trading. A nice place. You're more likely to be dealing with someone just like you. Someone who played the gear, and is selling, hoping to get a decent price so they can buy the next thing. Reverb encourages communication and transparency, and all messaging is tied to the listing, convenient, and preserved as an audit trail.

If your negotiation style is to severely lowball and hope to get lucky, or to luck onto a horribly mispriced item being sold by someone who doesn't know gear (an heir, or a burglar perhaps), then you'll probably do better elsewhere.

Bottom line, Reverb allows me to engage with the other party in the most productive ways. I have confidence that Reverb will back me up, as long as I'm acting reasonably, honestly. The platform allows me to develop some degree of confidence (or not) in any prospective counterparty.

Sellers have an option to include a Make Offer button, and you can include a message with your offer. You can counter back and forth with that system, much as you need to.

You can always message the seller, to ask questions. Reverb encourages sellers to respond timely. Once you have a seller's attention, the two of you can chat back and forth just like text messaging, but within Reverb, where it's all recorded, and you don't know the other guy's personal info.

I tend to use the lack of a Make Offer button as a signal that the price is firm, but not necessarily set in stone. Sometimes an offer through a simple message can get the conversation started.

The few times I've had issues, Reverb has been right there with a dedicated person assigned to see this deal through. A player. And I have found myself thinking how much better that is, than any alternative.

18. LGOberean

I never do Starbucks, so moving on to your description of who comprises the sellers on Reverb and their setup for communication and negotiation, that sounds hopeful.

I'm not out to lowball anyone, and I'm not expecting to find drastically underpriced gear (from what I've seen thus far, the reverse of that is more likely to be true). But going back to my examples, none of them would be deals I'd pull the trigger on, according to the prices and terms listed.

The results I got searching for a Peavey Studio Pro 112 TransTube amp yielded 7 amps. They were all red stripe, BTW. I didn't set that as part of the search parameter, but I would actually prefer a red stripe, so that's good.

Six of them ranged in price from reasonable to a bit high ($135 to $185) which could possibly be a good deal, but they were Local Pickup Only. And we're not talking about just a 25 or even 50 mile trip (one way) to pick it up, but 1,500 miles away or more. So unless I can persuade one of the seller to ship it to me, I can't do the deal, even if the listed price is reasonable.

One of the seven listings was with free shipping, but the listed price was $325. I'm pretty sure that they didn't cost that much new. The Peavey Studio Pro 112 red stripe is a 16+ year old amp, possibly older. Getting that old an amp, I should seriously consider the possibility of it needing service, if not right away, in the not too distant future. So that $325 price tag is just not reasonable. I would offer between $125-$150 for the amp, plus whatever the real shipping cost would be. And no one could convince me that I'm lowballing it, that I'm being unreasonable.

19. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I much prefer meeting up with people in person. So Craigslist and Marketplace for me. Ebay and Reverb can be a real hassle sometimes with some people trying to sell junk and having to ship things back. But I still buy used gear from those places on occasion. There is no local Guitar Center here, but once in a blue moon I will buy something from Guitar Center used online, after calling the store that is selling the item to make sure that they still have it (been there done that).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  20. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Somewhere around half of that price would be reasonable, give or take. But you know, Johan Segeborn (and a couple of other people) got the internet in an uproar about the things. I wouldn't worry about having it serviced. It's not a tube amp. The worst thing that is going to happen is it will stop working and need some parts replaced. It doesn't have a vintage output transformer or prized tubes to blow. But still, no sense in overpaying for one. For $325, you could likely find a decent tube amp locally, which would be a better value. I guess my game plan on used gear these days (if I have one) is to keep a mental list of things I might like to buy, and if I see it around for a decent price, I buy it. If not, I don't.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.