1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

For those with P90 experience

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Lazer, May 1, 2015.

1. Lazer

Lazer Tele-Meister

It's the heavy compression that gives me a hard time. After spending more time I also think they sound grainy or unshaved in a strange way. Good for solo but unpleasant for evything else. I now believe these are crap pickups. When.I get more time I will install new electronics and my dimarzios

Cheers
    L-zr

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Something's going on there.
    9.9 sounds right (but pretty hot!).
    Neck seems very low...maybe shorted; I've never seen a good P90 that low.
    I think middle should be approximately (N+B) divided by 4.

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

6.8K doesn't seem that low IMO. Lollar has P-90 winds in the 7.1K area. And Bareknuckle has P-90's in the 6.8K-7.1K range. Might just be a lower wind than anticipated. Maybe the magnets are what is giving the pickups their 'high output'
    Can't really say, without knowing more about the pickups and guitar.

Looking up the Duncan Designed P-90's all that I'm finding is their stacked coil P-90 set. This is technically a humbucker, and may sound darker and more compressed for that reason.

4. Lazer

Lazer Tele-Meister

Not middle pickup, bridge and neck together. Parallel I suppose. For amp see above.

Cheer
    L-zr

5. Lazer

Lazer Tele-Meister

That doesn't sound right thet are noisy as ****. Mine are 6-7 yrs old so
    there may be a design change. But I agree that the difference is a tad high.

I measured my dimarzios, directly not with any cqt connected to 8.2k and
    8.5k. Still high I think. The duncans ha gog ears and the dimarzios don't, so
    it is not a dotrect change. Also the route is too deep, thats why I haven't
    tried them yet.

Cheers
    L-zr

6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

This is an old website, but I thought there was some enlightening stuff there to help with wringing out a little more oompf in the electronics. FWIW. Warning, his popups are annoying.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/menu.php

7. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

Once you get above 8K with a P90, it changes character pretty drastically in my experience.

I have a pair of Lollar "50's wind" P90's in a tele, and while they do have that typical midrange snarl thing, they have a very bright and clear top end too.

8. Dirtybluegene

Dirtybluegene Tele-Holic

Yeah, I'm currently ditching a Lollar 5% overwound in the bridge. As mentioned earlier, they just lose something when they're too hot. I've kept his standard wind neck pickup, which is also hottish (8.2K) but it does snarl. I'm tempted by the 50s wind just for that extra transparency/clarity. I'd say to the OP to look at lower output combined with good height adjustment for punchiness. Good luck with it.

9. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Not a "true" P-90, but the TrickedOutGuitar P-Buckers (hb-sized) do a pretty decent P-90 sound (7.5K, A5 magnets, reverse-polarity between neck and bridge). In my Epi Studio with 500K pots and 50's wiring, they are very much what you would expect - chimy single-coil sound with some "girth" and grit. When I first put them in and was playing around through my BJIII on a mostly-clean setting, my wife came by the door, stopped, and said, "That sounds really nice." That's the only time she's every said that out of the blue. They have nice articulation and dynamics, especially with the wiring setup.

10. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

I have a set of Budz custom wound P-90s in a Jr Special - I have every intention of building a double P-90 Tele, and these will go in it, the og Gibsons will go back in the Jr, and the Jr will be sold. ;-)

The Budz have a sweet rounded low, with nice clarity and punch on the upper mids and highs.

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If your P90s are significantly overwound I can see why you would actually prefer the sound of mini humbuckers. Mini humbuckers can sound really good. The advice you have received is good-- make sure you have 500k volume pot, get height adjusted, and if you still don't like it think about getting something with less winds. I also like the idea of removing one of the magnets to see if that helps. Should be easy enough to put back as long as you mark it so you can orient it correctly.

12. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

I'm going try a set of those. For $50 shipped, it's a no brainer. :cool:

13. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Glad I could be of service! I should point out an error in my post...they're actually about 7K, not 7.5K. Otherwise, it's all good. These are Alnico5 magnets, not the ceramics that are in the standard Artec pups (I'm guessing these are special-order for TOG from Artec).

14. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Let me say it again, Budz. None better in my experience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.