1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

For those experienced with '50s Blackguard Style flat pole bridge pickups up; what's your favourite?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by rze99, Feb 26, 2019.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

For those that have played and used a whole bunch, what would be your build go-to (and commercially available) '50s flatpole bridge pickup?

My favourite so far is the CS '51 Nocaster, runners up, Original Vintage and Broadcaster (from the Baja)

Thanks

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yea, still like my nocaster.too. They had a few over the years, OEM, retail and other. You got to check.
    Cavalier,Lollar and the Seymour folks have some great offerings too I have in some .i
    IMHO

3. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

Seymour Duncan antiquity

Mincer, rze99 and galaxiex like this.
  4. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Bare Knuckle Pickups are usually nice :)

The Flat '50s are on the hot (and so sweeter) side, while the flat '52s are more traditional (Tho I'd go with the Stagger '55 personally)

rze99 likes this.
  5. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

OV's here. I also like the Van Zandt True Vintage. Both are good all-around choices and not too fussy with amps or pedals.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The plain old Duncan Broadcatser is pretty good, as is the Duncan "1R" flat pole Tele bridge pup.
    Both are cheap and sound meaty and fat without being very overwound.
    The 1R is a bit nasal for my taste, but in a good way, if you like that sound.

For whatever reason I seem to like staggered poles better, and certainly A5 mags better.

rze99 and Mincer like this.
  7. rze99

Thanks for your input people.

Via a UK forum (www.thefretboard.co.uk) I've just picked up a used handwound set for this and these are new to me but sound great for Backguard. I've used Oil City pickups in other bids (in 50s style) an they are great.

Oil City '49er + Honky Tonk Angel

https://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/product-page/the-fortyniner
    The Fortyniner is based on the modified lap steel pickup that powered the very first of Leo’s new, prototype solid electric guitars, a design that would finally become the Telecaster we all know and love.

Unlike many later bridge Tele pickups, this was wound with finer, 43awg wire giving a little more compression and growl, and powered by alnico 3 magnets, rather than the later, ‘sharper’ alnico 5s.

The lower string pull of alnico 3 helps your guitar achieve its best sustain, and cuts out the ‘ice pick’ highs of some later designs.

Perfect in a single pickup Tele, or pair it with the Honkytonk Angel neck unit

https://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/product-page/honkytonk-angel

Alnico 3 tele neck pickups are fairly thin on the ground so we made something special to fill the gap. Alnico 3 is characterised by a sweet, soft attack, with low string pull and unparalleled string clarity and separation.

Couple that with smooth, rounded lows and you have an ideal 'clean' tele neck pickup. However coupled with a pedal, like a Tubescreamer or similar and a good valve amp it can produce smooth singing sustain and is a great choice for blues. 6.8k (average).

8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The Cavalier 51/52 is my new favorite.

I do have an O.C. Duff Plankster that I'm pretty partial to also.

rze99 likes this.
  9. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

My favourite Blackguard style bridge pickup is the one I ordered from Fred Stuart long ago !

10. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

I was lucky enough to score a used Stephens Design 1950 Broadcaster pickup for an Esquire build, it sounds phenomenal. Very fat, sweet harmonics. Very inspiring to play! I used 3 different PIO cap values: in "neck" position it's a .0047 cap for a cocked wah tone; .047 for middle position; switch in "bridge" position is a .0033 cap for a beautiful singing tone. The Tone pot only works in middle, the other two positions are fixed.

rze99 likes this.
  11. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

OC Duff Plankster is an excellent pickup.
    Paired with a Big Boy neck pickup it sounds great.
    Highly recommended--excellent product.

rze99 likes this.
  12. rze99

Just looked this one up. Sounds cool and in concept at least, like the 49er I've ordered.

Teleguy61 likes this.
  13. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Two that I am really loving right now are:

Fender 2012 CS Broadcaster A5 mags, 42AWG, 7.3k DCR
    [​IMG]

AND

Cavalier 51/52. A3 mags, 42AWG, 7.8k DCR
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Whatever came in my Custom Shop 2002 N.O.S. Esquire. It was a to-spec build, not an edition.

As far as reasonably priced mass market flat-pole Tele pickups go, I lean toward the Seymour Duncan Broadcaster pickup. It's aggressive...but in all the right ways, if you get used to fine tuning your tone using your onboard tone knob (I do realize this is easier with an Esquire than with a Tele). I have the Broadcaster pickup in my backup Esquire, which is my fallback if the C.S. one above has something go wrong with it.

The stock Japanese-made one in my '03 Aerodyne is flat poled, and it's pretty wicked sounding too (though thinner sounding than the other two pickups I mentioned). Normally the MIJ Fenders have very mediocre pickups IME. My Aerodyne is the exception.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Mincer and rze99 like this.
  15. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

Cavalier 51/52 is my number one and the Fender OV is a close second.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.