1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

For those considering the Douglas Gravity at Rondo

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jayimeff, Mar 30, 2012.

1. jayimeff

jayimeff TDPRI Member

Be forewarned that the body thickness on the Douglas Gravity Tele's is 1.5", not the standard 1.75" it states in the description on the Rondo web site. I sent Kurt an email about it and he insists the Gravity's are "just a bit shy of 1.75"....well the one I got was dead on 1.5. I've read where some players don't mind the smaller dimensions, heck some even said they like it, so YMMV. To me it just felt dinky and cheap.
    I just felt it prudent to get the info out there. Rondo doesn't seem to be willing to post the correct dimensions on the body thickness even though i brought it to the owners attention, so I thought I'd try and help.

2. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Man, I remember the Rhondos and the Hondos and Hondo ll and Telestars and Stellas from way back when. I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. pole! You'd have to pay me to haul one off. They used to be in the "Esteban" league (language of today). There was some real junk made back in those days. But hell, today, some people actually COLLECT them! Baffles me!

3. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

There is a definite difference from the Rhondos and Rondo music. Even I remember those old names and the junk they were. I recently got an SX Furrian MN Ash 3TS (Maple Neck, Ash body, 3 Tone Sunburst). It is a Polyurethane coated 1.655" American Ash body Tele clone. Less than .100" difference. It only weighs 8 lbs and has the belly cut and forearm cut. Very comfortable to play.

The Neck is a thick C shape with a maple fretboard. One fret is high and one is low, but both are less than .002" off. Cheap plastic nut, generic cast tuners and bridge saddles. If you like doing your own work and don't mind a guitar that isn't a name brand, then these are decent to work with.

[​IMG]

4. TeleMan59

TeleMan59 Tele-Meister

My Douglas gravity is the standard 1.75" width as are all the thinlines. My brother got a close-out model that was about 1 5/8" thick. I'm sure he would take it back if didn't like it. It is advertised at the 1.75"thickness.

5. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I make as many 1-9/16" 6 lbers as 1-3/4" more lbers. ;)

Glendale does it FWIW, and has been for a long while...

Just saying...

[​IMG]

6. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

When it comes to Rondo, GFS, etc, you almost have to take the descriptions with a grain of salt...they're selling very inexpensive, asian-built guitars that look cool, and may or may not be playable out of the box. Some parts of the description may be accurate, some may not, some may be pure hyperbole.

7. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I would really miss that 1/4 inch .It would completely screw up my playing and make the whole guitar worthless .It would ruin my solos.I mean, a 100 bucks for a complete playable guitar .Wot a ripoff:twisted:

8. AllenR

AllenR TDPRI Member

I have a Gravity and just measured the body thickness. I got 1 5/8" and it doesn't bother me at all - very comfortable to play sitting. What I don't like is that it has a thin neck. I have big hands and they just fit the neck. My hands fit my G&L better. So I'll be selling the Douglas. It's tough to beat it for $130.

9. TeleMan59

TeleMan59 Tele-Meister

The necks on the semi-hollow Gravities are fatter than the non semi-hollow body with the thinner body like you have. I didn't like it either (by brother has one). The best necks are the SX necks if you like fat necks. I just got two of them and after sanding the backs with some 600 sandpaper to remove the excess poly, are super comfortable.

10. LongBlackTie

LongBlackTie TDPRI Member

+1 - I was just playing my SX Furrian today and after stripping and sanding the neck, it is a lot of fun to play. Super comfortable is right! Super fat too.

11. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

My Douglas Gravity Thinline body width is 1 3/4 exact. Neck width at the nut is a hair over 1 5/8.

Great guitar, great neck..some people think the neck is too chunky on these. Not me, I'll take it over the thinner neck tele's anytime.
    Completely stock, looks good, plays good, sounds good, stays in tune, no hum for single coil pups.
    No complaint.

12. willc68

willc68 TDPRI Member

I got a Douglas Corvus Baritone a while back and for a 150 bucks it is a nice guitar.
    With a little bit of tweaking these are great guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.