1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

For the older guys here

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Unseen, Feb 12, 2010.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Being in denial, I avoided this thread until now... ;)

2. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The death of the neighborhood corner, candy store or drug store. When I was a kid, there were small neighborhood grocery stores (we called them candy stores) on almost every block. These stores were not on main streets, but side streets surrounded by rows of residential housing. Some of these stores even had a butcher who would cut meat on the spot. Economics have all but eliminated these stores.

Another thing I no longer see are the guys coming by on carts with knife sharpening machines. You'd bring them your knives and they'd sharpen them for you right on the street.

I don't think there's an eggman or milkman anymore either, who would deliver your eggs and milk right to your door a couple times a week or so.

I also remember when TV programming would actually end each day. At about 2am or so, programming would stop and the screen would go blank with white noise, or there'd be an American Flag on the screen and the national anthem would play.

Your favorite bands were surrounded by a shroud of mystery. They released an album every year or two and did a tour, but if you didn't see the tour, you rarely got a glimpse of them. You wondered if they really worshipped the devil or lived in castles. There wasn't a glut of exposure on TV for these bands like we have now with MTV, VH1, or Youtube. You anxiously awaited release of the new album or waited in line til the record store opened, and it was quite exciting to put the needle down onto the record for the first time. Granted, part of that is because you're 15 years old, but a lot of that excitement and mystery has been killed by overexposure and reality TV. When I was 14 and listening to Black Sabbath, I would never have imagined that any of those guys, let alone Ozzy, would do something as dorky as being on a reality TV show. Of course, how could I know that there would ever be such a thing?

3. cobrat

cobrat Tele-Holic

Had the exact opposite issue. Went to Katz' deli before a friends' band was due to perform to try out their reputed "huge" pastrami sandwiches my older friends often raved about.

They were certainly huge pricewise....but the sandwich size was so disappointing. Too big to finish?!! More like so tiny I could have polished off 2 or 3 of those sandwiches....and as some TDPRIers can attest, I certainly do not look like the type who could eat much.

Just out of curiosity, where is the deli you're talking about, how big are their sandwiches, and how much is the going rate for one?

4. tele-martini

tele-martini Tele-Afflicted

When Big Macs started being the size of hockey pucks.

5. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Agree 100%.

6. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

I'm stuck in the wrong generation I think. I tip my hat to women, open doors for everyone, respect my elders, etc. I miss bench seats and big V8s (my first car had a bench seat and my moms '89 suburban had a v8 (and 3 bench seats). I think what I miss most is analog. I love analog electronics, things you can actually take apart and work on without fancy tools. I love the distortion from old record players and the looks of 50s radios. Maybe I'm wierd but I love antiques stores for this very reason, I love old things. (except women, I'm not into old ladys, lol)

7. Targ

Targ Tele-Meister

I remember a time when people were proud to be American, purchased American made products (actually sought them out) and our bosses cared about their employees.
    Now everyone tries to get the absolute cheapest thing made from overseas, but can't figure out why they are unemployed.
    American CEO's are in a race to see who can pay the least to their workers so THEY can get the biggest bonus check in their posh neighborhood, destroying American Icon companies that they themselves had no part of building in the first place.
    We do it to ourselves.

8. evilandy

evilandy Tele-Holic

This gives me chills and ranks among the very best memories of my childhood. When tv stations would go off the air late at night...

It just does not get any better than this.

9. evilandy

evilandy Tele-Holic

This one is great, as well...

10. 777Brad

777Brad Tele-Meister

47 years young! But when did adults start introducing their kids to another adult by the adult's first name?!? What ever happened to Mr. & Mrs? We would never think of calling an adult by their first name.

I hates that, I tell ya'!

11. Dep

Dep Tele-Holic

Working in Law Enforcement, I really get tired of parents denying their kids doing something wrong, even when presented with a video showing their little Johnny stealing something from a store or beating another kid on the school bus.

I miss parents that held their children accountable when they did something they shouldn't. Now all you hear is, "Oh my son wouldn't do that. You must be mistaken."

When I was a kid, we could go to the movies on Saturday for 6 RC cola bottle caps. This was for 2 movies and the weekly serials. Popcorn for 25cents.
    Now you have to take out a loan to go for 1 movie and popcorn and a drink.

I'm 54. so I'm not ancient, but lots of changes. Most were mentioned by others before.

Dep

12. robt57

That tune from the Channel 9 late late [late?] movie out of NYC, anyone remember that ? 1960s

13. Michael

Michael Tele-Holic

The loss of respect and civility...

... sadden me, but what breaks my heart is this:

I'm 52 years old, and when I was in my teens and early twenties it was considered shameful. What happened? I'm a left leaning, liberal guy, but I'm truly appalled at how casually people conceive and bear children, and how far we've strayed from the standards of decorum I learned and took for granted. I suppose my generation deserves the blame for tolerating and accepting those standard's demise since it's happened on our watch. It's an embarrassment and an affront to decent people. Funny, the people who were historically ostracized as "deviants" are the ones who now want to be married, yet most places vehemently oppose it. Go figure(shakes his head in dismay). It's the decline and fall of western civilization, and we have a front row seat.

14. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Are you talking about "Syncopated Clock" from Million Dollar Movie?

15. robt57

No, but same circa

But thanks for that little cob web cleaning ;)

16. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Remember when you're wife or girlfriend left you & you were actually UPSET about it!

17. dangerine49

dangerine49 Tele-Afflicted

I used a slide rule exclusively through four years of engineering in college. The year after I graduated, they came out with handheld calculators. I was so pissed that I immediately threw out that damned slide rule.

P.S. And when did water get so expensive. It used to be free!!!

18. LeDocteur

LeDocteur Tele-Meister

From the American point of view...

When an import car was rarely seen and, when seen, looked at askance.

When watching a stock car race of Fords, Mopars, and GMs, the cars actually had engines produced by those entities.

When "Made in USA" was the norm.

19. telideli

telideli Banned

Hmmm,....I do remember "Chiller Theater" on Friday/Saturday night?..."After School Special"....Wonderama on Sunday mornings.....damn, I'm old!

Also the '4:30 movie' weekdays on ABC. (Imagine having only one movie at a time on TV to choose from, if that much...).

20. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

... that's great!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.