for me the rosewood fingerboard is superior

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by rodeoclown, Aug 23, 2019.

1. rodeoclown

rodeoclown TDPRI Member

so I went to the guitar store for strings and noticed this new squire Indonesian Stratocaster with a rosewood 21 fret fingerboard, I have been playing this squire Telecaster with a maple neck for years but this rosewood finger board makes playing much easier, also feels a bit wider with square edges unlike my maple neck in which occasionally the high "e" string would get pushed over the edge. The fingerboard itself has a "waxy" feel to it, my fingers slide much better, of course I will be looking for a telecaster of some kind with a rosewood fingerboard in the near future,

ponce and Fluddman like this.
  2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I prefer the look of rosewood fretboards over maple, generally, but I really don't notice a difference beyond that. I could be wrong, but I'm not prepared to give the fretboard wood very much credit for the guitar's tone. And with the medium-juimbo frets on all my electrics I don't think I'm touching the fretboard itself very much, either. I'm definitely not noticing it, anyway.

What am I missing here? I have a Strat with rosewood, a Tele with maple and a Squier Jazzmaster with... I'm not sure. I don't think it's rosewood, but I'm almost certain it's not pau ferro, either. What differences should I look for between them that I can ascribe to the fretboard wood, specifically?

3. rodeoclown

rodeoclown TDPRI Member

Not sure I can help you with that, I noticed a big difference because I have always had a maple fingerboard, the first song I messed with was Robin Trower's bridge of Sigh's, the first part of the song is trilling at the second fret, yeah, I noticed a big difference,

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I prefer rosewood.

5. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Over the years I find myself left with only rosewood board guitars, this 'natural process' tells me I must have a preference for rosewood! ;)

6. Dougie

Dougie TDPRI Member

I was looking at an add for Squire standard strat as I have a Squire Tele from 2008 took this off of add and I never knew the Fingerboard Material: Laurel plays really good even the new ones are Laurel
    • Neck Material: Maple
    • Finish: Satin Polyurethane
    • Profile: "C" Shape
    • Fingerboard Material: Laurel
    • Frets: 22 Medium Jumbo
    • Scale Length: 25 .5'' (648mm)
    • Fingerboard Radius: 9 .5'' (241mm)
    • Nut Width: 1 .650''
    • Truss Rod: Standard
    • Position Inlays: Pearloid Dots

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Rosewood is getting harder to get these days. Like above most squiers are being produced with laurel and mim are using pao ferro substitutes.

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Was and is an alternative to Ebony on violins so those musicians and violin makers must know something. I prefer it to the slightly sharper pitch of maple.

6String69 likes this.
  9. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I like having a few maple boards "on board". They are nice.

But the rosewoods always get my greatest appreciation (and my most playing time)!

FenderLover likes this.
  10. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I was a dedicated maple fretboard guy for years, decades even. Wouldn't even look at a rosewood fretboard. After building 2 new partscasters with rosewood fretboards, I have come over to the dark side. I also have this custom Telecaster with an ebony fretboard, and that experience helped me to make the switch. It's just a dream to play.

11. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

It's probably Indian Laurel. Which I quite like.

This is Indian Laurel.
    cancercaster_2.jpg

This is Rosewood.
    jazzcaster2.jpg

Jim622, stevemc, mkdaws32 and 2 others like this.
  12. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

I like balsa wood, but the frets keep falling out.

13. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I watched a hilarious moment when a really good player I know was taking my super lightweight partscaster out of the case to give it a rip in his bands' opening set. It almost flew over his head as he recovered and uttered "What ?!?! Is this thing made of balsa wood ?" (it is in fact, paulownia wood)

I hear people go on all the time about how easily it can be dinged (I don't care, it's a player ... not a Picasso I hang on the wall) and worry that strap buttons and so on will pull out and so on. I haven't had one pull out but I do admit it could happen. Well that strap button thing is easily taken care of if need be (glued in hardwood dowels) and well worth the effort if it plays brilliantly, which it does. It also has this haunting tone which I'm sure is part of the extraordinary resonance it has, and can even be heard when you play it unplugged ... (ie: acoustically) and this falls out of the resonant feedback frequency that all solid body guitars posses according to all the parts they're made of (combined) that are vibrating in sympathy with the strings. Anyway .. I love it and so do quite a few others who have played it. Pro players too, which means something to me that they love it too.

I don't like heavy guitars so I guess I'm happy how my "balsa wood" partscaster turned out. Weight is just 5 and a half pounds.

IMG_0363.JPG

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    mkdaws32 and jvin248 like this.
  14. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Sharper pitch? My maple and rosewood fingerboards are equally in tune.. usually. ;)

stevemc and suave eddie like this.
  15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The preference for fretboard for me is based on "feel" rather than tone. By the time you adjust your amps, pedals etc I doubt the material contributes a significant amount to tone. Then again, people claim they can hear a difference in saddles between brass, steel and titanium. Hell, maybe the pickguard alters the tone with single ply allowing more resonance than 3 ply. :rolleyes:
    Of course there are aesthetic considerations. A maple fretboard can be pretty sexy, particularly one with cowboy chord wear. Some finishes just look better with a rosewood board while others are best served with a maple board.
    I have two CS Strats. One is a 57 NOS (maple) and the other is a 61 Relic (rosewood). Both have ash bodies. The 61 growls more while the 57 has the bell like clarity you would expect. The tonal variation IMO is because the pickups on the 61 are hotter than the 57.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  16. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Yeah I'll be honest and say that my early absolute lust for maple fretboards was an aesthetic one. Now I'm older and wiser and love both looks, maple sexiness and the darker alternatives equally sexy whatever it is, looks wise. Feel, that's a different thing altogether. When I fell in love with maple, it was looks not feel. Now that I have both, and like both, I'll be equally honest. Rosewood, Indian Laurel ... Ebony (oh dear, Ebony ... now that is lust right there) ... they all feel better to me. I still like maple but it does not feel as good under the finger tips. FOR ME. Don't be offended if you feel the opposite of what i do. I don't prefer the darker woods for fretboards in a desire to belittle what you prefer. What I prefer is not a rule, law or fact. Hell, if everyone liked exactly the same stuff, all the time, then I'd go and like something different just for the bloody variety. :twisted:

17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Is the playing feel all down to the oil put on the wood? What about 'dry' boards that need oiling but have not been oiled yet, are those still better feeling than maple with a finish on it?

I get that players say they can feel a difference and hear a difference with Rosewood/etc fretboards ... but can players play just a little bit better if it means saving the rain forest by using a faster growing and more local lumber? I've decided that I can and any new factory guitar I purchase will have maple. It would be good if the pro players up on stage and those creating signature guitars would realize their environmental impact (and they are often supporting environmental and global warming causes yet playing rain forest lumber guitars).

hellopike and Fendereedo like this.
  18. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I would play more maple boards if they made more models with satin finishes. I have a satin finished MIM deluxe strat that's so smooth, a joy to play. My only other maple is a Tele Thinline I just picked up and I'm still working my hands and brain around the glossy neck.

19. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

As well as maple, laurel and pau ferro, there are plenty of other more sustainable alternatives to rosewood. For example, I've had a chechen (Caribbean rosewood) fingerboard from a custom builder for some time and like it a lot. I noticed G&L are offering it now.

Orpingtons likes this.
  20. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Meister

I would like to feel more comfortable with Maple and have tried hard, but I'm getting to the conclusion that Rosewood to me feels and playes better. I would like to feel comfortable with Maple because of Hendrix, Clapton, and many others. Growing up where I live 99% of guitars had those dry ugly asian RW boards and I thought Maple was more expensive or better just because there weren't many around. This impression got stuck im my mind; I still prefer the look of Maple. After being a grown up I was able to buy a CIJ Fender Strat with a nice RW board which doesn't look cheap and dry. This is my best playing guitar. I have an older MIJ with Maple board that looks perfect but feels like I'm playing a tractor.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.