For Car Guys!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Feb 18, 2020.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

I am suspicious, from experience, that this little Chevy is all shot through, underneath. Not safe to drive; not easily made safe to just coast around in.

But strictly based on what we can see here, it is not impossible that this could be made driveable for a few years. Then you could part it out. Sometimes sometimes, you can't tell a book by its cover.

These were more fun to drive, I felt, than an Impala from the same year. I know I don't want another of those.

flathd and BobbyZ like this.
  2. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

It's rare that anyone saves a 4-door (that's a '62 Monza sedan). Personally, I like the "flying roof" design over the back window. And it's stiffer than a convertible. The coupes are easier to get in and out of than the sedans though, thanks to the longer doors.

First thing I'd do with any car of this vintage is replace the entire brake system, steel lines and all. Had a 40-year-old steel line blow out on a clean, solid, rust-free '63 Chevy once, about two weeks after I bought it. The line looked fine on the outside, but had corroded from the inside thanks to moisture condensing over decades. Went right through that red light, between cars going through the intersection, and about another quarter mile or so before I could get it stopped with the parking brake. Once I stopped shaking, I eased it the mile back to the house and jacked it right up and started ordering parts. Replaced the master cylinder, all the steel lines, all the flexible lines, even the little springs that hold the shoes in place. (Oh yeah, and a new parking brake cable set!) That was 17 years ago, and the current owner says it still stops like new. Best money I've ever spent on an old car.

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

@Censport Brakes are really nice to have ! Nobody really thinks about them untill they loose them!
    About 2003 I was driving a 91 Chevy Lumina 4 door sedan, my beater work car. A bunch of deer come running out of the woods and I naturally slam on the breaks. Blew a brake line! Car wasn't exactly old enough to the point you'd think that would happen.
    (Missed all the deer in front but one hit the drivers door and broke the handle. No idea what was chasing them.)
    Cars after 1967 have dual circuit brakes. So if you loose a hose or hard line you've still got something. But it ain't much! I'd estimate the stopping distance from 60mph to be somewhere under a mile.
    With the old single circuit brakes you loose fluid and you better hope the emergency brakes aren't rusted up too. In the rust belt they probably are.

boris bubbanov and Stringbanger like this.
  4. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Oh, we're talking endless projects now? Can I play?

This is AFTER a boatload of work, including moving the car into the walkout basement piece by piece. Forgive the mess, this was taken during the change over from summer to winter "stuff" in the garage.

[​IMG]

The project has become a boatload larger than I intended. The intent started as a mostly Model A with a '27 roadster body. Scope creep is a thing.

[​IMG]

In my defense, I had a couple projects under my belt as a warm up though they were smaller scale..

What I dragged home:
    [​IMG]

After spending a bit of time and money on it
    [​IMG]

I'm discovering I'm much better at rebuilding bikes...

ArcticWhite, Censport, flathd and 6 others like this.
  5. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Always takes less time to build a bike; fewer parts and a lot less metal:cool:

6. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've had a few projects over the years (interrupted often by my career moves)...'65 TBird convertible, '63 Corvette roadster, '65 Nova sport coupe, '76 Ranchero GT (factory 460), '78 Moto Guzzi SP1000, '01 Moto Guzzi V11 Rossi Mandello #244, and currently a 2K Mustang GT convertible. The Mustang has obligatory fat tire and wheels, cat-back, modded intake, and a modded mountain/country road suspension (big sway bars, Konis, beefier control arms and sub-frame connectors...I resisted the urge for lowering springs to avoid problems with steep angles, dips, potholes, railroad tracks and small animals--jk). Photo on Tail of the Dragon.

IMG_0501.JPG

7. boris bubbanov

US 129 in TN isn't that far from me, as the crow flies, but I tend not to go there too much since there's so many similarly cool segments of asphalt we can also mess around on. I think that segment of NC 28 around Fontana Dam has a wonderful flow to it.

[​IMG]

I agree, you cannot lower things too much since you still have to get over such things as the RR crossings on TN 68 near Farner and so on.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Stringbanger likes this.
  8. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The tail is a cool ride, but there's a route... 124? 125? that's about 50 miles South of the Tail that's even more crazy. Heck, the Blue Ridge Parkway has plenty of white-knuckle sections when taken at speed.

Stringbanger likes this.
  9. boris bubbanov

Yeah, that's NC 125. Bike enthusiasts love it. I think you start around Waynesville, go roughly south and cross over the Parkway, and then continue roughly south down towards Brevard and all that. Take a break, let the brakes cool then do it Northbound.

Going uphill is more simple, and you can position the car with the throttle. Coming down is about bravery and wearing out brakes and potentially running off the pavement and then it could be a long way down. You can only downshift so much and great tires help a lot but the pavement can be pebbly and also damp, mossy and slick. Once the leaves fledge out and there's all that shade, sometimes the pavement doesn't dry out enough.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Stringbanger and MattyK-USA like this.
  10. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yup, that's the one. In the 911 I never get out of 2nd gear - although admittedly, 2nd gear tops out around 70 MPH which is straight-out suicide on that road.

Stringbanger likes this.
  11. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Don't restore it.
    Just wax it, keep up with the basic maintenance, keep it in the garage, and drive it.

Stringbanger and BobbyZ like this.
  12. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Crap.
    Now you've given me another project I don't have time for.

Censport and Stringbanger like this.
  13. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

I actually like that Corvair, and the front bumper and chrome are pretty nice. but I'm afraid the bottom side might be too rusty.

I'd like to see Stringbanger buy it, just so he can get off his duff and prove me wrong.

It's called "Reverse Psychology".

Stringbanger likes this.
  14. BobbyZ

It's way past a wax job I'm afraid. If I would've kept it in one piece my first wife would be sold it when I was working. She tried! I found out about it when the guy called that she was trying to sell it to. Luckily he was short on cash and was calling to see if I'd take payments. Luckily I was home when he called!
    So I set about making it unsellable by stripping off some paint and generally taking things apart. Used to start the engine and drive it round the yard or a back road a few times a year. But it's been tucked away now over ten years, I hate to think about all the parts that time hasn't been kind to on it.
    The duel brake vacuum boosters and Spica injection pump are probably all shot now and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
    In retrospect I should've just sold it then but the money would be gone now anyway.

Stringbanger and ArcticWhite like this.
  15. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Spider? GTV?

Stringbanger likes this.
  16. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

That's a work of art! Beautiful.

Stringbanger likes this.
  17. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Mount Joy is technically my hometown. My parents had an apartment on Mount Joy St. when I was born.

fnkmstr likes this.
  18. BobbyZ

Spider. 1969 was the last year of the "boat tail" and the first year with the Spica fuel injection. At least here in the States. These also have the master cylinder under the floor and two remote brake boosters under the hood.
    A lot of people ditch the Spica in favor of two Weber side drafts. I'm so cheap I'd probably go with a pair of SUs because I've got a spare pair off a 122s Volvo. :)

Stringbanger likes this.
  19. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Love the boat tails. The SPICA system is probably still good.
    Is it garaged?
    The bumpers are worth a couple grand alone.

BobbyZ and Stringbanger like this.
  20. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

And that Dodge 4 door sedan was based on a 2001 Mercedes E-Class.

Stringbanger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.