For Car Guys!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Feb 18, 2020.

1. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Much depends on the roller, of course (including making sure it's not a GTO badged Tempest!). Since you don't have an engine, you can go with a crate or a loose correct engine. With some sweat equity, sure you can.

dented and Stringbanger like this.
  2. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Love the Studebakers.

brookdalebill and Stringbanger like this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I guess there are two kinds of car folks, just like there are two kinds of guitar folks. Nostalgia drives the vintage market and nostalgia isn’t rational. Let’s look at priced alikes. There’s no way a perfectly restored GTO is a better car than a Mercedes Benz E400 coupe. The Mercedes is better by every possible measure except irrational nostalgia value. For playability, I’d take a CS guitar over an antique any day. I get car shows. In fact I love them. I loved the guitar show at the MMA. I’ll take a new Benz or Bimmer over an old wreck any day. Likewise a CS guitar over vintage. It’s like church or temple. It’s good that there are folks keeping the old liturgy alive. It’s just not for me. I’m a modernist, not a traditionalist but I have great respect for the traditionalists.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    idjster and Stringbanger like this.
  4. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Every high school kid whose parents had a rambler lied about how useful those fold down seats were. Every kid stuck with his parents station wagon wanted one so he could lie too.

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

The sweet equity is the big part of that equation. Chances are most guys gotta hire out engine machining but most guys can put together a simple American V8. (we ain't exactly talking about a real complex technological marvel here) Not everyone can rebuild a transmission, it ain't hard but it puts people off. Rest of the drive line shouldn't be real hard for most guys.
    It's the body work and interior that a lot of people can't (or shouldn't!) do and that's where the real money is. Some old rolling chassis that's been sitting in the weeds out in the sun is going to need a lot of attention there.
    You can spot halffast work a mile away on body and interior work! Those little details will kill the value on a car faster than a rod knocking. Engines are easy.

6. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oh, no doubt. It's the interior and body work that I grew up on. And as I can tell you know, it's not the materials, it's the labor that kills you ;)

Stringbanger and BobbyZ like this.
  7. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like the idea of starting with the GTO and building a retro rod with modern underpinnings LS3 engine with modern five or six speed transmission. More current front and rear suspension. I am starting to drool.

In saying that I had a 68 396 Camaro a few years ago. I kept trying to make it act like a modern sports car. What I learned is if I buy another sports car it will be modern.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Stringbanger and MattyK-USA like this.
  8. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm old school. I'd rather drive a '72 Dodge Challenger for example than a new one.

Stringbanger likes this.
  9. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Meister

If I were looking for another project that Mercury would be worth a look

Preacher, dented and Stringbanger like this.
  10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I do like the architecture of the original ones.

The new one is simply a reworked Dodge 4 door sedan. Cowl way too high and overall height and size just too ponderous.

Btw the original used subframe assemblies from the "B" Dodges also - they just did a separate scheme for the rest of it.

hdvades and Stringbanger like this.
  11. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

The word restoration means different things to different people.

To me it means equal to or better than new condition, with everything correct, down to the fasteners. And it's not cheap!

If you are looking at a PA car or any car that has lived its' life in the snow belt as a restoration project, you better know what you're looking at. Rust never sleeps, and we seem to be constantly searching for winter time road materials that expedite rust and corrosion.

Cutting out rust, and welding panels works for a while, but rust almost always comes back. That's why we call it cancer.

BobbyZ and Stringbanger like this.
  12. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Stringbanger likes this.
  13. Lefty Addams

Stringbanger likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

That's a 1965.

Stringbanger and Lefty Addams like this.
  15. Lefty Addams

Thanks, I'm trying to find out what colour blue that is.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Stringbanger likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

Here's my fundamental, economic question:

If you own a shop, with lots of HVAC space and great tools and good help, and you could buy cars such as these, restore them and make money, wouldn't you do that? As opposed to being open for hire, and working on someone else's cars and then they pay the bill and make a profit when they get tired of it and re-sell it? Any, seems painfully obvious that the shops make money and the "clients", that is the guys whose cars are restored, are involved on a loss basis - they're just so flush with money they can afford to lose some and have a fun time doing it.

Unless you have some of the best restoration skills out there, and an existing shop, and you can trick wealthy guys into hiring you for top money, this is all a money losing proposition. With the exception of a very well bought, already fully restored car bought at auction, where you drive it for a few weeks, correct some details and tout it to a collector who just happens to want what you just bought, now that you have it the way they want it - some guys can make money doing this. I think this works because the playboy who dropped all the money on the restoration doesn't really care if he loses a bit more unloading it - now that he's closed that chapter and is on to the next item on this fun list. Like buying an island or something.

17. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Including shop labor, and your time sourcing parts?

MattyK-USA and Stringbanger like this.
  18. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I want the American my Dad had...

IMG_0270.JPG

And I'm 98% sure that one is a Tempest...note the front fender trim, flat hood and it is a coupe...believe all the GTOs were hardtops.

I had one...they are great highway cars. If buying one like in the picture, check it close to make sure the wiring is intact---there's about ten miles of it.

19. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

Do you recall the name of the place, maybe they have a website.

20. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

Paradise Motors, saw it on a billboard in your pics.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.