For bike enthusiasts: James May on Global Designs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a road-legal Yamaha DT175. It kills small fluffy animals with toxic fumes as I pass them. I've de-restricted it, but it's still struggling to do 70mph.

Loads of DR400 supermotos round here.

What you really want is this:

[​IMG]

2. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

The best tomato and the best cheese I've ever tasted were in France, but their cars and bikes were rubbish over there. Although we did drive around in a Citoren that possibly could have fit in my road case for the flight back home.

3. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Captain Slow, whether he's right or wrong, sure seems to have a way of generating discussion. Take this article about motorcycles for example - we've had more posts about cheese and tomatoes than the main subject. And I'm just as entertained.

4. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

Harley's are heavy, slow, and feel like you're riding around on a recliner ...

5. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

That's why I have one! I've had all kinds of bikes ... this one has the most relaxing ride I've ever experienced. Cruise for days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JayJ

JayJ Tele-Afflicted

In Oz And James Big Wine Adventure - US he rents a Heritage Soft tail.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

James May missed the mark as usual, especially about Americana, and I think this thread is bringing out that issue using American Cheese. The fast food industry/automotive culture here in the United States has a lot to do with why new 1930s motorcycles, muscle cars, american cheese, and lager beer are so popular. Intellectually, it may not make sense, but like it or not, live it or lose it, for good or for bad, it is the culture. I find it enormously fascinating to observe and attempt to live within it.

8. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Exactly!....and we do, a ZX14 and a Hayabusa share garage space with my 1200 Sportster.

It would depress me to have my Sportster as my only bike, but in smaller doses, where riding it is elective rather than necessary, it's a fun bike to tool around on.

9. John Backlund

My 1200 Sportster is heavy, reasonably powerful, and feels like you're riding around on a buckboard, but it has mid-positioned footpegs and controls, so it's seating position is 'standard', not at all 'cruiser'.

When I get the urge to chug around on a big-ass cruiser, I leave the Sportster in the garage and bust out the 125 cubic inch (2053cc) Vulcan....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  10. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

here's my FLSTCi, now at 1900+ cc displacement, on a 4000 mile road trip. Just a great cruiser, that's a bruiser too.

[​IMG]

11. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

But those are vintage 2-strokes! If I was going for a vintage street bike, an RZ350 would be my dream. What I really want is something like this: ImageUploadedByTDPRI1411414855.394976.jpg With a big bore 295cc kit and some more tasteful performance mods.

A DRZ400sm wouldn't be the worst thing ever, but I can't stand heavy 4-stroke bikes while trail riding. A yz250 is the perfect trail bike for me.

But for crotch rockets, I'd go with a Yamaha R1 or R6: ImageUploadedByTDPRI1411414881.416724.jpg

Or a Triumph Daytona 675: ImageUploadedByTDPRI1411414950.360674.jpg

That KTM is definitely my style, though... I'd never noticed those before! I only ever look at their dirtbikes when I get on their website for bike pron.

12. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

sheeesh...!! that makes my FLSTCi look small. Mine weighs 689 lbs wet and with the 1915cc, it makes 135hp/ft-lbs square, on the dyno at the rear wheel. It's just the right amount of power for its weight.

13. Nick JD

The thing I like about that new KTM, is it's a 390cc 4-stroke single. Weighs 147kg.

I long ago lost the desire to get to 100km/h in 2.5 seconds and then lose my licence while getting into second gear.

That KTM on a twisty mountain road would be supurb. Kinda bike you have to ride well to ride fast.

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

at least the hippy picked a good bike to sit on....:D

I had one of these knee warmers for 15 years or so..... stylin'....:cool:

Attached Files:

15. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I hadn't seen that KTM before, is it new, not out new or new, been out a few weeks new?

Do yo know what they sell for?

would be a GREAT windy road bike.

16. Nick JD

17. John Backlund

That's my wife on it in the photo, she's 5' 4" and 120 lbs, so she makes everything look big, but regardless, the Vulcan is definitely a large motorcycle.

The 2000cc Vulcan is a BIG bike at a tick over 800lbs wet, makes 116hp (crank, not rwhp though) and 141 ft-lbs of torque in stock form. I believe that the only stock V-twin cruiser that makes more power than the V2K is the Suzuki M109 at about 130hp.

Your modded Harley would be quicker, especially at it's relatively 'light' weight, but the Vulcan likes to wind up a bit, and does move pretty good for what it is....just keep it in a generally straight line though, it definitely doesn't like curves very much and can scare the crap out of you if you push it into a corner too fast....which means any kind of 'fast', but it's a big rumbling sweety-pie otherwise.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  18. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i wish i could ride. since i love bikes. i would have one of every kind.. i do not need to stand be hind one brand. when each have fun to offer. but i can no longer ride my leg does not bend enough. and if i road a cruiser with my feet up front. i dunno if id trust my leg at a stop light. and if i got in a accident. my leg would be gone.
    im not ready for a wheel chair yet.
    chris.

19. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

There's no shortage of good cheese in the US. I live in New York (the third largest dairy state in the US). You can't drive 10 miles without passing a farm that's making great goat, sheep or cow's milk cheese.

20. Nick JD

I watched a TV show called Cheese Slices where the guy went to the US (most shows are in European countries) and showcased the developing industry, and how Americans were beginning to get into more than cheddar.

A lot of it seemed to be affected by the states allowing (or not) cheese made from unpasteurized milk. A big issue for artisan cheese makers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.