For all the Joe Bonamassa haters out there-

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DougM, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

I don't hate JB. He's got incredible chops. Amazing licks. But after 3-4 minutes, I'm done. As Keef said about much of Rock today - Too much Rock, not enough Roll...
    We each like what we like. So what?

Bassman8, 2 Headed Goat and Jim622 like this.
  2. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

"I WOULD SUGGEST BASED ON PERSONAL PREFERENCE"
    that any music other than that directly descended from the songs of Son House Howling Wolf, and J.B. Hutto is the existential embodiment of banal, that being said I must acknowledge the Mr. Mayer would fall into this category, but then so would Ray Charles, Jimmy Smith, Toots Thielemans, Ema Sumac, and many many others, despite evidence to the contrary.
    Let us not mistake the entertainers/joy bringers with artist of epic stator.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  3. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

it's an interesting take, PPC. and you have many. i always enjoy reading your posts.

there is probably no truly objective way that someone can throw down a yardstick next to any art (sonic or otherwise) and accurately arrive at a point where one can say: "this is where the original thought or intent becomes overtly commercial, or irredeemably trite."

after all, even Charlie Parker and Wes Montgomery did their commercial albums. is there anyone who didn't? maybe ornette coleman. i too love Howlin Wolf but i wasn't alive during his era, so i have no idea how he kept the bills paid. i just know we won't get more artists of their caliber.

culture is now at a stage where it has gone completely through the looking glass, and the present state of human expression is so vastly removed from the primordial experience of living that most or all of the art we produce from here on out will be inescapably deficient in its underlying metaphors and symbology.

i see 2 possible outcomes. either art itself will become completely disposable, if not pre-disposed of upon release, purchase, or creation. or entirely new frameworks of human analysis and consumption will be conceived, thus rendering our prior understanding(s) of media obsolete.

4. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Afflicted

Is just good classic rock and sounds good to me, although i like alsorts of music that appeals to my ears not really hate anybody.

5595bassman likes this.
  5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

HEY! HEY! HEY! Watch it now, your talking about the neighborhood band playing in the park in the Haight for free on a saturday of sunday.
    I watched the homeboys go from local guys to risen international Icons of look out
    double-double super hipness massive cult of personality followed by hero worshiping sheep.
    I can't blame the band for what the fans did or do. They're just guys turning the wheel of the music industry in their own way making a living as entertainers who 50% of the time at least in the beginning delivered magic on stage the other 50% was
    " an off night. "
    :eek:Jerry Garcia hand painted ties??? o_O the sad part is the make believe that we are doing the doto is based on a fantasy of something that never actually existed.
    But hey in the waste land of conformity, and corporate sponsored music festivals,make believe takes some of the sting out of a foresight into a life of disappointment, debt, commuting and alienation.
    I still like the live version of Saint Steven and
    Pig Pens singing on Workingman's Dead, particularly the song Easy Wind

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.