For all the Joe Bonamassa haters out there-

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DougM, Dec 9, 2019.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Imo this is not the greatest example of Bonomassa's playing that could be used to entice someone who didn't already like him TO like him. Also, this has never been a fav Deep Purple song of mine. FWIW

2. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    How odd you would include these players in your list of identifiable with 3 notes players.
    I saw Ray Wylie Hubbard and David Grissom playing live quite often when I lived in Austin.
    Neither one of them sounded unique to me. I hung with Grissom a few times and liked to hear him play and sing a bit, but he isn't recognizable to most people when he plays a solo. He is accomplished, sure. But he's not doing anything new or groundbreaking.
    Derek Trucks seems to be everyone's "darling" these days, yet when I hear him I mostly hear Duane Allman. He hasn't moved past that MAJOR influence even though he has added some indian modal scales to his playing.
    I'm not going to comment on Dan Auerbach and Jack White other than to say I find neither one interesting or original. White is quirky, sure. But that's more a personality thing.

Duarte used to play Austin when I lived there. He is a loud rocker. Not original and has nothing to do with the blues.
    Odd to mention him in a thread about Bonamassa.

Georox likes this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Different strokes for different folks.
    I mentioned guys I find recognizable; if you don’t, that’s ok.

MilwMark and Greggorios like this.
  4. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

It's not a great sign when a "Joe Bonamassa haters" thread is how you find out who Joe Bonamassa is. o_O

I had seen his name pop up before in videos, but I thought he was one of those YouTube instructor guys. So I never clicked on any of them. :p

5. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

*deleted*

~syf

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  6. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

He played the Green Man in Barnet in 2005, I'd never heard of him, but I was helping out at the show and so met him and there was a big crowd there too.

He had a "handbags at dawn" row with the then landlord of now defunct pub which I witnessed (and very funny it was!).

I've got to say quite honestly I wasn't that impressed with his music or his attitude, yes the landlord was an a-hole but Joe wasn't much better.

I've liked his Gary Moore covers since, but always preferred the originals when going back to listen.
    I like his stuff with Beth Hart a lot though.

I worked with Walter Trout on numerous occasions and that man there is a true gentleman and a credit to the USA and music in general.

No doubt Joe is a hard worker and very talented, and has amassed some great guitars and amps, but.. not really sure how to say this, just not really for me, sorry.

7. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

Joe has all the chops but he uses too many too often.

Fiesta Red and tlsmack like this.
  8. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Not hater, not a fan. Then why did I chime in? Not sure.:confused:

9. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

I watched his PBS Greenwich special yesterday. What a player! And that gear!

But, the music was just meh. Great musicians, great songs, what's the deal? The best sounding tunes were Motherless Child and Pretending. Which I think is because those songs were already overproduced and recorded to a click track, two things which do not work for the likes of How Many More Times, et. al.

10. Justjammin

Justjammin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Deep Purple and a big fattie on the way to high school, those were the days!

Greggorios and brookdalebill like this.
  11. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

No hate here. I met Joe on the first blues cruise in 2015. Great guy. He was really nice to my younger son. He couldnt give a toss about guitar so him and Joe chatted about basketball and high school. Hes really down to earth.
    Good dude.:cool:

Greggorios and Georox like this.
  12. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

brookdalebill likes this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Just for the record I'm not a Joe Bonamassa hater, either. If fact, I love his playing, his tone(s), and his voice. Frankly I don't understand the hate...

15. Swampash&Tweed

16. Texicaster

Geez!

Glad I don't have friends like that! "Remember your guitar that got stolen? I know where it is! No can't say... never saw it ...in fact... it's just a joke! Gotcha!!! Hahaha!".

Real exciting!

17. Swampash&Tweed

Is your guitar the most famous Electric guitar if all time? Did your guitar start all popular music created?

Take things out of context much?

It's the STORY.....the fable.

Pretty sure your guitar wasn't covered by insurance and belongs to a multi millionaire who gave most of his guitars away anyway.

If it was that important to Eric or any truth to it , he would have a team of PIs and the guitar would be in his procession by nightfall.

Got to laugh..........

18. Texicaster

Sounds like your arguing with me but only present facts to support my thesis. Thanks! :D

JB sounds pretty serious about it to me.... More than likely than not he has information on where it is.

What I'm saying if a "friend" came up to me and said he knows the whereabouts of something of value to me stolen 50 years ago but decides not to tell I figure his loyalties lie with the thief and not me. If JB not prepared to act; keep quiet and don't try to grandstand on such a topic for publicity sake.

Material enough for an entire other thread but suffice to say it paints JB in a poor light to me.

19. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that I genuinely like JB and his playing. He seems willing to move away from loud blues, which he plays well, and try different acoustic stuff or arrangements.

Having watched a few of his online interviews he comes across as an OK bloke with respect for other musicians.

Georox likes this.
  20. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Name a player or a band, start a thread here, you'll find all sorts of haters out there. I never got it. Like 'em, don't like 'em, listen or don't.

ricardo1912 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.