For all the Joe Bonamassa haters out there-

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DougM, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe Joe would become more widely appreciated if he appeared on South Park.
    I'm surprised I haven't seen him on there yet. Could make for a great episode.
    Jimmy could maybe introduce him at a guitar dual.

2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I’m not crazy about all that he’s recorded but to me he’s one of the great contemporary guitarists, and I think there’s a lot to learn from him if you want to dip your toe into playing “supercharged rock blues”. I certainly have learned a thing or two when I transcribed his solo on “Tiger in your tank” (and snippets from this one, but I’m not on this technical level so…).

I love this rendition of Lazy, and I’d also recommend his “Muddy Wolf @ Red Rocks” and some songs out of “Redemption” and “Different Shades of Blues". Great albums, with the added bonus of a wonderful support band (on Muddy Wolf none other than Kirk Fletcher…).

(PS: I have no issue whatsoever with those who don’t like his playing. To each his own).

3. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Joe has been a breath of fresh air carrying the torch for great live blues/rock for years - great live shows even though his perhaps excessive recorded output never quite seems to capture that.

The recording in the OP's post is superb. I prefer Joe in the more stripped back line-up, to all the horns and backing singers he tours with now. Its a much less cluttered, more dynamic mix.

So I remain a big fan of JB and I don't like the denigration he unfairly gets - some jealousy in there I suspect:rolleyes:

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I have respect for him like others I can take him in small doses and don’t really get any feeling from him
    I haven’t seen him do anything so atrocious that hate is warranted.
    I used to really dislike him till I realized he’d been doing it so long and definitely worked his way up as you hear about him at age 12 or so and then he doesn’t pop up again till the early-mid 2000’s so he had to be working it before fame. And I’m going to be the first to admit it I WAS JEALOUS OF HIS WEALTH! there I said it
    Probably a lot of people are the same but won’t admit it I wished I was a millionaire from playing music and then I grew up and realized that MOST people work for what they have and all I have to do is work too....dang I’ve been off on rants lately

DougM likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I see your yawn, and raise you a snore, sir!;)

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I suspect this is part of why he draws such a strong negative response.

As someone else noted, for me there is no space in his music. None. It never breathes. Just flurry after flurry.

It's fine if you like that. Many don't. I don't. I have nothing against the guy.

To suggest that jealousy underlies this? I don't get that at all.

Georox and Jimmy Dean like this.
  7. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's a great analogy Fiesta Red. I'll definitely be borrowing it. :)

chipwich, Rowdyman and Fiesta Red like this.
  8. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

The word hate is similar to the word love in the way it invokes a passionate feeling. JB's music does not invoke any passion for me. The word "indifference" describes my feelings on JB's music.

9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

After listening to Joe (and wanting so very much to like/love his music) for close to 20 years, I think I’ve figured out why he hasn’t moved into Upper Tier Blues/Rock Guitarist Status:

He doesn’t have his own “identify him in three notes” tone.

Think about it:
    Even the casual guitar fan/player can *usually* identify Muddy Waters, Hubert Sumlin, Howlin’ Wolf, BB King, Freddie King, Luther Perkins, Albert Collins, Albert King, Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Winter, Peter Green, Keith Richards, Duane Allman, Don Rich, Lowell George, Bonnie Raitt, Robert Cray, Jimmie Vaughan, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ray Wylie Hubbard, David Grissom, Derek Trucks, Dan Auerbach and Jack White in as few as three notes...

This list could go on, but you get the point...some of those players aren’t even blues/rock players, but they have a significant, definable style and sound.

Several of the players listed above are/were not as technically proficient as Mr. Bonnamassa, but they all had a style/sound/tone that make you say, “Hey, that’s ________ playing the guitar...”

As much as I’ve listened to him, I don’t know if I could pick him out of an Audio Lineup, except the fact that he never stops to take a breath during solos.

Again, I admire his business acumen, his technical ability and his (enviable) collection of instruments. I think he’s probably a pretty cool dude to hang out with (I’d go out to dinner with him, from what I’ve seen in interviews and articles I’ve read). I think his stage attire of suit and sunglasses, (which some of his detractors bleat endlessly about) is pretty cool and makes him more visually identifiable.

I just haven’t developed a great appreciation for his music...but I’m sure he wouldn’t be impressed by me, either.

Texicaster and Greggorios like this.
  10. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I think his shenanigans are pretty funny.

...His twitter rant against the Grammys cause he didn't win Blues Artist or Album of the year but he should have because he "sold the most albums."

...He had a replica built by a slimy luthier and he self-authorized the use of the "Gibson" logo on his replica V (which many of his fans/collectors find egregious, except when Joe does it). After the luthier's (echo park) reputation really starts to take a beating online Joe jumps ship then beats him down on Instagram for building replica batches of Joe's replica..using the guitar's name "Amos." All this while Mr. Bonamassa sold the name to Epiphone for their....replica, lol.

...The time he went on the My Les Paul forum to call some rich kid in Europe a "whiny millennial" because the kid was calling out a German guitar dealer for fitting a 'burst he bought with fake parts.

...Naturally, his pedal rants which are probably the most known, lol.

...Of course, his opinion that playing vintage guitars is "sharing" them with a lucky public which, IMO, shows how bad the hubris in vintage guitar appreciation has become.

Now, no doubt he has a case of what a Jazz Professor of mine dubbed "The CVP's" (child virtuoso problems) in terms of how he deploys his facility. But, yeah, it's hard work. And, without the hard work of his parents who sacrificed everything when he was a kid by getting him on every stage possible, getting lots tutelage, and hooking up with multiple managers around puberty to set him up with all sorts of marketing, assembling nepotist rock bands, etc, there's no way he becomes what he is today. There's lots of kids who can play, very few with parents like Joe has.

tamer_of_banthas and Jimmy Dean like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I've never really connected with his solo stuff, but I do really like the stuff he's done with Black Country Communion. Maybe give some of that a listen.

bcorig likes this.
  12. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

whoa that tone and playing, such a high standard! really great band too !

the more i listen and watch Joe Bonamassa the more i like him!

it is super-stunt guitar and it is real cool

RadioFM74 likes this.
  13. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Joe on his humble beginnings @ 8:40:

"When I lived in New York I lived on Ramen Noodles, it was a real struggle and I would go I need a Strat and a Les Paul, sell the Tele."

Danny Gatton to 16 year old Joe @ 17:45 as Joe takes out one of his guitars, a 1954 Stratocaster ('54's were worth about $15,000 in the 90's):

Danny: "Show me your geetars man"

Joe: "Let me see that '54"

Danny: "What'd you do, win the lottery???"

Joe: "Uh, not really, uhhhh kinda went out on a limb.."

Yeah, I dunno, lol.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

As a marketing genius and giving the old white men what they want - I respect the hell out of him.

As a musician ? Well, he’s not .

He’s a karaoke-ist.

He plays solos over cover tunes.

Or his own boring songs.

Seems like a nice guy though.

I can’t believe that everybody who loves him have fully explored and listened to all the music and artists he covers.

There’s plenty of the old stuff out there for me, I don’t have to add his inferior tAkes to my playlist.

tamer_of_banthas and Texicaster like this.
  15. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I respect anyone who can make a living in the music business....especially on their own terms as Joe does. I don't need to like their music to have that respect.

16. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

I think that organ sounds very good too! I have liked joe about five years now, he is one of very best of now active rock guitarsists. There is much mojo in his playing.

Han Valen likes this.
  17. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Is Joe Bonamassa…

…trapped?

I’m sitting here listening to the Tedeschi Trucks Band (Live From the Fox Oakland) and it reminded me of something Matt Schofield said on That Pedal Show.

He talked about staying competitive on the festival circuit, and said he might need to go large, with a more of a big band production. He cited the Tedeschi Trucks Band as an example of something that lands with sizeable impact on the audience.

And that made me recall recent comments here about Joe Bonamassa's big band sound and his (alleged) full on onslaught approach to shredding the blues, etc.

Which made me wonder, do you think he’s trapped, caught up in a juggernaut that he possibly can't control? Much like people say Jerry Garcia was with the machine that the Grateful Dead became?

Perhaps he plays what and how he wants, or perhaps he plays what and how he feels the machine dictates?

Dunno. Just wondering out loud.

Somewhere in here - can’t find it exactly right now.

Pax/
    Dean
    p.s I seem to have really messed up. I wrote this yesterday, and in the confusion and bustle of commuting today I posted it as a thread. One person replied before I realised and started to shut that down and move it here. Then I saw others also responded, so it’s still up. Sorry to all. I'm an idiot.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Mr Scallywag likes this.
  18. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

He reminds me of Chris Duarte.

I saw Duarte live- and although technically proficient, certainly well heeled in the guitar arena, I can hang in there for about a half a song, and I just have to come up for air.

Too much for me.

But isn't that the great thing about music.

One Man Gathers What Another Man Spills.

~syf

19. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I quite like his playing on this one. Big fan of Mr Barnes too

Straydogger likes this.
  20. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I don't hate anyone who is schooled by Danny Gatton and opens for BB King at age 12 or so.

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.