For all the Joe Bonamassa haters out there-

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DougM, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Thank you, still hate him :)

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Very fun, everyone is locked in!
    Is that Ian Gillian on the vocal? Looks and sounds like him, right?

3. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I know they're all stellar musicians, and it's a cover,
    but couldn't make it thru the 1:40+ min organ intro. tedious

4. blueruins

blueruins Tele-Meister

Got to see Joe back before he hooked up with “The Caveman” and got famous. I’m amazed that they were able to turn him into a multi-million dollar draw but I’m really happy that he has achieved success doing his thing.

I agree, this is one of the coolest five minutes or so on the internet of Bonamassa. I don’t usually feel it when he plays but this one I feel!

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

@fasteddie42
    Thank you for articulating what I could never quite explain. I think JB is an amazing instrumentalist (he can certainly play circles around me!)...but his solos don’t “breathe”...it’s like listening to an excited pre-teen describe their favorite movie...

I think he’s probably a good dude and would be a great dinner conversation...but I just haven’t been able to create an appreciation for his work.

6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don’t understand why people hate the guy. I can certainly see how you might say his music is not for you, but hate? From what I’ve been able to glean from watching many of his videos, he’s a lot like many of us. He’s a gear geek with a penchant for cool guitars and amps. Just because he has the wherewithal to alleviate his gas pains whenever he wants, that’s no reason to hate.

7. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

I’m not a following fan but respect him a lot. And that’s only because I have not been exposed to all of his work. But when I see it I am impressed. Hey its just good old fashioned no fancy frills down to earth guitar playing. How can you not like it? I like anything that’s good. And I believe he’s been around since he was real young. You can see him playing with Danny Gatton at like 12. I would love to see him live. Thanks for the post.

8. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

When I engage with music, I want the whole circus, not just the skilled juggler.

9. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I agree with you, i'm not into Bonamassa music but he looks like a very nice guy from the interviews that i've seen, hate is a strong world, and above all i wish i had his hands.... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Straydogger, 8barlouie and Tommyd55 like this.
  10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Joe B. is an outstandingly technical guitar player and showman, but I gotta agree with MilwMark on this one.

His music seems to consistently feature up tempo, driving music styles, with gutteral vocals, interspersed with technically intricate, and lengthy, solos. For me, personally, it's very tiring to listen to Joe B. for more than a song or two. ;)

In contrast, I can listen to Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck, Robben Ford, blah, blah, blah, all day long... :rolleyes:

Doug B, ucnick, Rowdyman and 7 others like this.
  11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

100% exactly my experience. No hate whatsoever, JB seems like a genuinely cool and nice guy and is clearly an exceptional player. His particular brand of blues rock just doesn't work for me at all.

Doug B, ucnick, Fretting out and 3 others like this.
  12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not what you would call a fan but it would be fun to jam with JB. I could learn a lot from him in a short amount of time.
    I've heard some great stuff played by JB and plenty that doesn't do much for me too. Just like every well known player I've ever listened to. Even my favourites sometimes play stuff that I don't really like and that's ok.

13. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

+1. To paraphrase Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca", nothing we say here will amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world of guitar playing. While there is nothing wrong with having opinions and players you like/dislike, I really don't get the "hate". Especially for someone who has always been an ambassador and advocate for the electric guitar, and who actually plays all of those vintage guitars and amps he collects (and plays them quite well I might add).

I suppose that John Mayer is another one of those polarizing great players. I really don't get into his music that much, but I acknowledge that he's a really good guitarist and I've enjoyed some of the lesson videos he's uploaded to YouTube in recent years. And I certainly don't hate him... (though I am jealous of his great touch, phrasing, and technique ;)).

14. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So much great music, so many great players, so little time.

I always appreciated JB's playing and enjoyed what I heard but was focused on other styles and other artists so I never really dug in deep to Joe's catalog. It was when I started watching/reading some of his interviews, tutorials, etc. and got a better sense of Joe as a person that I really warmed up to the guy. He's such a regular, down to earth, fan of music and gear that he's easy to like. Clearly someone who would fit in as just another guitar/amp crazy like the rest of us. :)

Han Valen, Chicago Matt and 8barlouie like this.
  15. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Why do I care if he’s a nice guy or not? I’m a nice guy. I know a lot of nice guys. It has nothing to do with music.

i really dislike his playing, which, you know, is allowed. I’m puzzled why there are so many threads requiring people to love the guy. I’ve never been able to get through more than 30 seconds of the guy playing.

Oddly enough the fact that he’s a nice guy who owns a lot of cool gear is really not enough to make the music remotely interesting

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  16. Doug B

Doug B Tele-Meister

To me JB = Jeff Beck.

Joe who? Sounds like a cover band-yawn...

17. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

To the OP. Thanks for posting. I judge covers by whether they make me want to go check out the original artist. This made me start digging into old Deep Purple this morning. The whole band here, not just Bonamassa, was smoking. The playing by Joe and by Brad Whitford, made me remember and think fondly of Gary Moore too, and caused me to listen to some old Thin Lizzie in addition. I had a little trip down memory lane this morning. Thanks!

18. eslover

eslover Tele-Meister

Great song, nice rendition!

Rowdyman, RadioFM74 and Bob Mc like this.
  19. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Not a fan John Mayer but you have to respect his writing singing and playing skills. Although it’s the latter that do not impress me.

20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Thanks OP...I've been meaning to have a listen to some of Joe's music, but I've never knowingly heard him play before. I'll have to find some other stuff of his; that one was very frantic and great playing (wish I could play fast like that).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.