For all of those who have “seasons”, dress for the weather or for the calendar ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Oct 6, 2021.

1. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

If you can get all 4 seasons in a day.... Definitely on the side if dress fir the weather ;)

Mike Eskimo and radiocaster like this.
  2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

the funniest scene was fall in Florida, when I was in grad school in Gainesville. The first cool morning the sorority girls would break out their new fall outfits, mittens and scarves, the whole works. By two in the afternoon it would be sunny, humid, and 87 degrees and they would be dying on the way home. They would throw their wool scarves on the sidewalk just to get rid of them.

Toto'sDad, Mike Eskimo and Rustbucket like this.
  3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's become completely unpredictable. One day last week it got so cold in the evening I had to barrow a winter coat, and it was no coat weather in the afternoon.

Usually sweater weather until 11 AM, then warm, short sleeve weather sometimes. Then colder in the evening.

This is not really normal, too many extremes.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Like @Flaneur and @Happy Enchilada, most of the time I must be prepared for four seasons everyday. 40°F swing in one day is not too unusual. Usually peeling off layers mid morning, but today I had to add on two extra layers after lunch.:rolleyes: No guarantee what the weather will be from hour to hour. I also carry an EDC bag daily that covers every temperature scenario that can be thrown at me and yes, as a former Boy Scout and National Ski Patroller, I usually use my EDC bag to help others.

And yes, almost 50 years ago at San Diego State, as long as I had shorts, tee shirt, sandals and my surfboard, that was all I needed and was good to go.:D

Flaneur, radiocaster and Mike Eskimo like this.
  5. Obsessed

People will laugh at me because of the bag that I don’t leave home or car without, but you want me to stumble by if you are ever in need of help, discomfort or danger.:cool: 0FDABDD4-60E9-45C7-B989-5B134E7A6912.jpeg

6. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Obsessed: Nice looking BOB. Mine is similar, just not as much stuff attached to the exterior.

IMHO there are 2 kinds of people: Those who prepare for life so they can successfully overcome obstacles and those who waste time they could be preparing for success in whining over failure. No, I'm not a "prepper." Just a guy who refuses to be a victim of reality.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

this guy makes a lot of sense and I’ll tell you why. I just got back from my nightly 20 and when I left the temperature was 69° And when I get home the temperature was 67°.

I was wearing a T-shirt with a long sleeve shirt under it and a pair of shorts. everyone I saw had long pants and quite a few had thin down jackets on.

and I’m fairly certain these people are all Michiganders. The same people who if the Mercury goes a hair over 50° in April will wear a tube top and a pair of hot pants to go to a backyard string pull.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I dress for the 4 Southeast Texas seasons.

8 months of summer.
    3 1/2 months of maybe winter.
    A week each of spring and fall.

Long pants and a coat added for maybe winter.

Mike Eskimo and Happy Enchilada like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Do the sleeves on your winter jacket meet in the back? :D

Mike Eskimo and teletimetx like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Evidently you have very little experience in busy body-ness. The proboscis always leads the way! Plumbing other people's business, like a hummingbird raiding a feeder!

11. Happy Enchilada

We have 2 seasons here in the Boise area: Winter and Construction.

When I lived in Montana, we used to joke that spring was 6 minutes in June, followed by summer.
    It's kinda the same here. Weather goes from flannels and warm coats to shorts in about 2 weeks. Summer temperatures hover between 90 and 102 for the better part of June through September.
    Then there's the smoke (mostly from fires in neighboring states) that seems to last longer every year.
    They don't tell the emigrants @ the heat and the smoke. Oughta be in the brochure ...

12. Happy Enchilada

That's EXACTLY what we used to pound into the Scouts' heads. Cotton gets wet and actually makes you colder, and hypothermia is the leading cause of outdoor-related deaths. There are so many great synthetic fabrics now (i.e., polypro, smartwool, even silk or good ol' merino wool) that maybe cost a little more but could save your life in an extreme situation. And our Scouts did "Winter Survival Camp" which entailed digging a snow cave and sleeping in it for at least 2 nights. And we never lost a Scout or had to send one home who got sick. "Be Prepared." I may have to get a tattoo ...

Mike Eskimo and rghill like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

We only have two seasons in Bakersfield now. Tooooo Hot and not too hot. I wear Cargoes all of the time, only a funeral, (maybe) can get me out of them and into a pair of long pants. I have a couple of pair of new Levis I don't think have even needed washing yet, and I got them for Christmas five years ago. I carry a sweater in my golf bag, if we start at the crack of dawn on a round of golf, I'll put it on for the first few holes, but usually by the third of fourth hole, I'm coming out of it, and stuffing it back in the bag.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve lived in Texas, Arizona and South Carolina.
    I know Hot.
    I’ve lived in France, Minnesota and British Columbia.
    I know Cold.
    I dress comfortably, and unfashionably for the seasons.
    I actually prefer cool/cold climates.
    I might have to re-emigrate.

15. Obsessed

Agreed. I’m not a prepped per se either, but Boy Scouts drilled into me to be prepared. That has worked out well for me throughout life especially when I enjoy pushing the boundaries of human endeavors.

Happy Enchilada likes this.
  16. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Weather. I can tell that it is getting cold out by watching the young university guys. When they start wearing heavy sweaters along with their shorts I know he weather is changing!

17. Toto'sDad

I've never been to Minnesota, but from what I've seen of it in Videos, there must be a huge barbed wire fence around the whole state. Otherwise when it thawed out, the populace would if no other way, be walking out of there and trying to find somewhere that Kryptonite didn't freeze and crack open.

brookdalebill likes this.
  18. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Here in the Phoenix area, you can leave the house in the morning and need to run the heater in your car. When you come home in the afternoon, you are running the A/C. The house can be the same way.

I have seen people wearing heavy winter clothing, including scarfs and gloves, when it's about 55 outside. I am still wearing shorts when I head out for my walk. People run at different temperatures I guess.

19. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Every day has been ground hog day for decades.

I get up and walk outside. The only reason to put anything on my feet is due to what I might track back in.
    Lord help the man who tracks in a leaf from so much as a Boston fern...

I dont care if its rain, ice, or snow, bare feet is fine.

I go out for the newspaper.
    First I check the ground for existing conditions.
    Then I look to the sky for future conditions.

I check up the the block to the north.
    Down the block to the south.

No zombies or packs of wild boar? (Though those damned zeba are still out there....)
    Looks good...

I wear shorts until It's not comfortable.
    Long pants reluctantly.
    Long sleeves in a near disaster.
    Jacket with a rare bad attitude.
    Coat? It better be worth it...

Sweater?
    Never. No friggin' chance.

I tried it once in the 70's, but even mega bell bottoms and platform soles looked like a better option.

And yes to cotton. Always.

If my toes feel like ice cubes, its time to peal off another layer.
    If theres no more layers to peal off...

Dont look Ethel!!!

brookdalebill likes this.
  20. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Never had to use it but I used to carry a whole kit of survival needs in my flight suit pockets. Old habits die hard Still carry that stuff in my car.

Flaneur likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.