1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

For Al Of Us Blues Lovers Out There

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by garytelecastor, Feb 2, 2017.

1. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Gary Moore has put up some very interesting backing tracks and the scales that can be played over them on YT.
    I, in particular, love this one.

Think about what the bass line is doing here.
    The bass starts on the A which is the 1 note of the Am chord, then it goes to a G# which is the 3rd of the EMaj chord or the M7 tone of the Am, then to a G which is the 7th of the Am chord, then to an F# which is the 3rd of the DM chord, then to an F which is the b3 of Dm, then to an E which is the 1 of the EMaj chord.
    The bridge is a CM to an Am to a CM to a D to an Am to an EM

So here is the rhythm part the organ is playing in the background:
    Am-Amwith a G#-Am7-DM-Dm-E7-Am-Dm-F-Am

Now right away, some of you are going to say that this is way too complicated to play over. BS. Right now you know everything you need to know about improv to play for hours over those scales. Just let your ear and your mind and your fingers begin to work together without conscious thought getting in the way. Just play and experiment. That's why Gary put these videos up there. Have fun. Every step you take is getting you closer to an A list musician.

stinkey likes this.
  2. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Actually I hear the harmony completely differently (starting 0:30).
    It is just an 8-bar minor blues:
    - 4 bars of Am,
    - 1 bar of F, 1 bar of E7,
    - and then (marking each beat) | Am Am Dm Dm | Am Am F7 E7.

The chromatic descending bass line on a minor chord (from A to F#) is an often occuring cliche. It can imply more complicated harmony (like here, with the organ playing some additional tones), but essentially you can treat it with just Am all over and treat all else as extensions.

Writing this without an instrument, so by ear only. There might be some mix-ups, but I'm pretty sure.

ndcaster likes this.
  3. garytelecastor

Okay, fine with me, I'm easy....

4. garytelecastor

I think you may be on to something. I still think that the organ is following the bass line in the background. But I am wondering now if it isn't an:
    Am, AmaddG#, Am7, DM, FM, E7, Am, Dm, Am F, E7

C, D, Am,
    C, D, Am, F, E7, F, E7, C, Am

That G# is too strong in the walk down for the chord to be strictly Am. And I would think that playing a Dm over that F# would create some dissonance and I don't hear any. I know the second verse is exactly as you wrote it, but I think he is doing something different over the 1st verse. In the first verse the organ is definitely playing a Dm instead of the F.

I think some of what we are hearing is also the guitar arpeggio part over the changes that makes it sound different that what is going on in the foundations.

I don't know now......"there's a lady who's sure....";)

5. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

And thus the paths converge ;)
    The Am triad with an F# in bass can be viewed as an Am6. These are notoriously ambiguous chords (pick three notes and use it as an m6 or dom7 or dim or halfdim...), used to good effect in gypsy jazz.
    So the Am/F# is kind of D9 (both C and E), without the D root.

6. garytelecastor

Yeah, I realize it could be written as an Am6 but in this instance the walk down from the one to the five is really the integral piece in the song. I was thinking that if he is walking the bass line down one could expect to use the 4 over the changes. Being that the song is heavily written focusing on the minor changes it just made sense to me. The other thing is I was trying to help some players here to think in broader terms than just the chords and how to tie the chords to the harmony that builds them. I know it is nowhere near the level of playing but it was kind of like the Freddie Green stuff where you are playing a given line that harmonizes with the rest of the instruments.
    It's kind of like that famous line of D-C#-B-A that is used in like...Mr. Bojangles. The background rhythm is DM-AM-GM-AM.

7. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

I would write that as Am > Am(maj7)/G# > Am7/G > D9/F# and think i to IV. I do not hear a Dm against the F#.

Piotr likes this.
  8. garytelecastor

Do you think that it is implied by the different notes that the rest of the band is playing. I started this as a way for guys to play over the top of the changes. By playing over the D then to the Dm, you have a chance of really emphasizing the F# to the F in the chord change which is kind of cool for the rest of the tune. IDK, what DIK? I do hear what you are saying but in the second verse as Piotr stated, he goes to an FM so I guess I will go with you guys. I think playing out of D mixolydian to D aeolian would work well in the changes before the E, what do you guys think?

9. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I agree with JB.
    I don't hear any of the D majors (D/F#) going to Dm.
    *Maybe some are hearing the Fmaj7 as a Dm7? There are a lot of common tones but it's clearly an F chord.

The best way to hear it is to listen to the guitar arpeggios in the first verses. He spells out the chords/voicings perfectly ...

Verse: Am > Am/G# >Am7 > D9/F# > Fmaj7 > E7 > Am > Dm > Am > F9 E7#9
    *The second time thru before the chorus, he hangs on the last Am for two bars.

Chorus: C > D > Am > C > D > Am > F7 > E7 > F7 > E7 > Am >
    D major > Am > E7

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  10. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

Well, the song starts out with a weird progression in the first place : C D (major not minor!) Am C D Am, then the progression in question starts: Am Am(maj7) Am7 D9 Fmaj7 E7 Am Dm Am F7 E7. The second time through it's Am Am(maj7)add9 Am7 D9 Fmaj9 E7#9 Am Dm Am , then to the beginning chords C D Am. To me that D major sounds awful, but he Gary Moore and I'm not. I would probably use Am pentatonic for the whole thing. To me there is never a time when the band is playing Dm over the F# bass. It's D9 to my ears every time.

Edit: I agree with Ken except that something (organ, I do believe) is playing an F# in that second chord, the one he calls D (no M3.)

11. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Maybe that's what I hear that's bugging me?
    *I just listened on headphones and yeah, there's a F# in the middle of the band played on the organ. I'll edit my above post.

There's some Stax horn stuff that does that too. It always rubs me the first couple of times through and then I get used to it.

Soloing wise ... mostly Am penta and A blues. I'd be careful about using Aeolian because 1) that Dm is quick and 2) the Fmaj7 chord is actually gonna sound cooler (from an improv/melodic standpoint) if you don't hit an F note. E and G are the 'color' tones. Everybody else in the band is playing F. The soloist doesn't really need to.
    The spots in the tune where I would try to nail a 'change' is on the D9/F# chords in the verse and near the end of the chorus where it goes to the D major chord. That to me is sort of a surprise/release in the progression. I would, somewhere in the midst of my lick or line there, hit an F# note.
    Also, maybe a G# over the E7 and Am/G# chords - but to me that's too obvious and even corny or cliche sounding.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  12. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

GM posted YT backing tracks? He died in 2011!! Gotta hand it to him, man, that guy is truly dedicated!!

klasaine likes this.
  13. garytelecastor

I ask you to notice boneyguy, that I used the word has in the infinitive state. And if anyone should know about the blues it would be someone dead. :)

Piotr and oldgofaster like this.
  14. boneyguy

I get your point GT ...however, I still doubt that GM had anything to do with those backing tracks while either dead or alive...... :)

15. garytelecastor

I don't know. It says he did, so I guess I just was quoting the title. I am sorry if I stepped on your toes somehow. It was not my intention. I respect you.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  16. boneyguy

My toes weren't stepped on GT....I was just trying to be humorous. :)

I don't see where it says that GM posted the backing tracks. I believe the title just means that it's a backing track for a Gary Moore song, not that GM himself posted the track. I imagine the guy who's YT channel it is (Best Songs Backing Tracks) is the guy who recorded and posted the track.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.