For Aircraft Enthusiasts: here's a question for everybody who served in the navy.

tomkatf

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
I'll bet the Brit Shooters didn't look like this! :p

One of my never-to-be-realized bucket list items is to be on the flight deck to observe a real Alpha Strike and recovery.....:cry:

Last edited:

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
That wasn’t a U2, it was a TR1. Cosmetically they were identical but the TR1 was a tactical reconnaissance version.
The funniest thing about the U-2/TR-1 family, is that they're basically the F-104 starfighter fuselage with a different tail stabilizer and different wings.
U-2-F-104.jpg

And when you see them side by side, you can't UN-see the family resemblance

Cesspit

Tele-Holic
That wasn’t a U2, it was a TR1. Cosmetically they were identical but the TR1 was a tactical reconnaissance version.

Well you live and learn. We had the R1 version of the Nimrod. Electronic recon aircraft, very secret. They used to fly across to Russia and gathered radar signals and the like. That was 1974. British Government didn't admit their existence until the 90s.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Well you might have noticed that my "For aircraft enthusiasts" threads have been sparse this year, which is because of personal things happening and me not finding the time and inspiration to start a new one.

ANYWAY, let's turn the clock back to 1975, when Fender Telecasters looked like THIS.
1975-fender-telecaster-blonde-1-FToYyfJ.jpg

Glen Campbell had a number one hit with this one.

And back then, the Royal Navy Flew the Phantom FG-1 (F-4K)
80da0d_00cb3f08d2a241be9dc20afba7dd182e~mv2.jpg

And the Blackburn Buccaneer.
64283_1496243388.jpg

From the HMS Ark Royal.
b6760f86b8df08db86d6a4f682917f85.jpg

Now the reason why I bring this up as a question to everybody who served in the Navy, is that I found this amazing clip from carrier operations on the Ark Royal back in 1975.

And my question is, how similar or different is it from what you saw during your service?

How does it compare?

Three saddle bridge, check! 21-fret maple neck, check! Three-ply white pickguard, check!
Hot diggity! That Telecaster checks all my boxes so far! That's a rare combo to see these days imo...
1975, you said... ?

Lonn

Friend of Leo's
Electronic recon aircraft, very secret.

Speaking of electronic recon aircraft, I spent time as a Boom Operator on a KC-135 in the very early 80s. Long story short once the receiver aircraft gets within 2 miles of the tanker the Boom Operator speaks and everyone else listens. We were refueling an AWACS that day and I instructed the AWACS pilot to turn his radome off at 1 mile out. I didn't want to get fried by that thing. He apparently didn't hear me so I said it again. And again. After the fourth time I yelled Breakaway Breakaway Breakaway. We went immediately north and they went immediately south. That was fun. Watch the first 45 seconds of this video and you'll understand the reason for the breakaway.