For aircraft enthusiasts: Buying a jet fighter and all the paperwork that comes with owning and flying one.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Do ya'll remember when the USSR collapsed and, reportedly, they were selling anything and everything military for pennies on the dollar. I think I remember them selling MiG's for something like 200 bucks each? It was crazy. I wanted to have some of that hardware sooooo bad... but 1. How to buy? 2. How to import? 3. How to store? were the questions in my mind then, and are still questions today LOL!!! :eek:

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
I had a friend who owned one. He told me that the plane burned about 400 gallons an hour and it would get unstable if you let go ov the stick.

brindlepicker

Tele-Meister
There was a old MIG flying that I saw a few times around the Jackson mi airport back 15 years or so. Saw it do some touch and goes. Can’t find anything on the web about it.

My wife thinks I’m crazy for wanting to use a signal mirror to let the pilots know I’m watching and bring in some WW II B-25, B17 planes a little closer when they do there flyovers around our countryside from the Willow Run in Ypsilanti.

Novak

Tele-Meister
Which is why I hesitated with posting this thread in the first place.

But I never talk about the governments behind the creation of the planes. I talked about the Luftwaffe and the Messerschmitt 109 multiple times, but NEVER talked about the evil government of [email protected] Germany.

This is just about the plane itself and the cost that comes with actually flying it.
Your initial impulse was correct. First thought is usually best thought. This is an international forum.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Your initial impulse was correct. First thought is usually best thought. This is an international forum.
If I may ask you, suppose that I had chosen for this thread to be about, say a UK-built Gloster Meteor instead of the MiG-15, would you have perceived this thread differently?

The sole reason why it is about a MiG is that I came across those clips on how much it would cost to buy, run and fly an old jet fighter. It just happened to be a MiG.

I'm pretty sure that me having been a TDPRI member for 19 years and having made countless posts about aircraft over the years, people will KNOW that NONE of those posts is about propaganda.

Heck, one of my very last previous threads about planes was about the destruction of the Ukrainian built Antonov 225 "Cossack" in the war.

lowatter

Tele-Holic
1650106500909.jpeg

This privately owned Russian WW2 Yak 5 trainer flew into our airport(KGRD) a few weeks ago for avionic work. The owner/pilot said that there's 100 or so operational. I thought it was pretty cool.

This was the US trainer at the time. The T-6 Texan(right) next to a prewar Steerman trainer at our airport. I thought it was pretty cool to get a shot of them together. Both privately owned.

1650106782309.jpeg

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I've seen him do a show with the shrike and a P-51 back in the early to mid 80s. He flew the P-51 over Minter Field outside Shafter California an old training field from WWII inverted at 350mph about 50 feet above the runway! He cut the power on the Shrike way out then did some rolls and stuff, landed and rolled up and stopped about 50 or 75 feet from the fence completely without power.
I was having a hot dog at Oshkosh (1970s) and Bob asked if he could sit down at my picnic table. I didn't know who it was until I read his nametag. Nice guy. I asked him whether he was flying the 51 or the Shrike that afternoon...I don't remember what he said.

I was there the year he dragged a tip-tank of his T-33 on the runway during his routine. I went over afterwards and they had a horse-trough under the tank to catch leaking fuel...

Deebs3

Tele-Meister
The F1-11 fighter fleet was retired here in Oz some years ago, most were scrapped but 2 were for sale here locally, only 1 mill each, I did think that if I was rich, maybe if I got 9 of my friends and we put in 100k each we should buy one and put it on our front yard. Maybe fire it up at BBQs etc.
F-111_A8-138_(aircraft)_displayed_at_RAAF_Base_Amberley,_01.jpg

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
Found a few more jets for sale for those interested: https://www.platinumfighters.com/jets/

That T-33 is as cool as it gets. You're in for a surprise seeing the cockpit pics.
Pretty modern. I'd take that over old instruments any day unless I'm going for the authentic look and feel. Useful load probably went up by 40 lbs too!

Edit, wait! $300K???? That's incredibly cheap considering the avionics and an almost zero time engine. Am I missing something?

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
When I worked in the aviation industry the company I worked for exhibited at Farnborough. The Russian contingent were always good value. I remember climbing the step ladder to peer into the cockpit of some or other Soviet ‘plane to be met at the top by a guy who unfolded a grubby piece of cloth to reveal a couple of very poor quality pins. ‘you like to buy?’, he asked. Looking at the hulk who’d taken up position at the bottom of the ladder, and deciding I’d like to get down sometime soon,I said ‘OK’ and parted with,I think, £2.

At this time the Russians had their own version of the Harrier. Eager to see it, the exhibition tents pretty-much emptied at display time. It was, to put it politely, rather rudimentary and lacking in precision flying capability. I distinctly remember it hovering whist the pilot, all bulging eyes and white knuckles, fought bravely to keep it in the air and something like stable. It was finally banned from displaying after a near vertical take off resulted in wide a area of melted tarmac which had to be repaired overnight.

There was also one of the giant Antonov cargo planes which was, in all honesty, very impressive, especially taking off. About half way through the week we went out to watch. It sat at the end of the runway, spooling up and then shutting down, for about five minutes. Finally, the pilot gave it the beans and it began moving. 20 seconds later there was a dull thud and everything stopped happening. Something had blown up. It took ages to get it moved and even longer to get it away. Several countries had refused permission for the necessary spares from Russia to be flown through their airspace on a Russian plane.

I was in Oman onetime, in a hotel opposite the airport. A Russian freighter was parked up across the way and the hotel lobby was full of all manner of stuff, bikes, tools, clothes, everything. The receptionist explained that the crew with the aeroplane had been on a buying spree for stuff they couldn’t buy at home. Now, as was usual, they had to wait for cleared funds to reach the airfield to enable them to buy fuel, pay the necessary fees to fly home, and the hotel bill.

And, my final tale of Russian aeronautics. At an air show in South Africa, a small freighter sat outside a hanger belonging to South Africa airways. Chatting to my contact I asked about it. ‘Come and have a look’, he suggested. Wandering up to one of the wheels he pointed. You could see the carcass material of the tyre for 3/4 of the way across its width. This, I was told, wasn’t the worst one! Long story short, SA had taken it in to do the turn around, only to have SAAA slap a ‘not fit to fly’ ticket on it. The owners had said something along the lines of ‘bovvered?’ so, there it sat. There was a debate going on as to whether SAA should just sort it for free to see the back of it. I never did find out what happened.

Last edited:

Linderflomann

Tele-Meister
Anyone know anything about Russian guitars? I mean, seriously, what do they play?
I have always wondered about this. They must have had some sort of industry going on; I know there's a few Soviet-era Russian synths floating around. Guitars I've never heard of or seen though.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
There was a old MIG flying that I saw a few times around the Jackson mi airport back 15 years or so. Saw it do some touch and goes. Can’t find anything on the web about it.

My wife thinks I’m crazy for wanting to use a signal mirror to let the pilots know I’m watching and bring in some WW II B-25, B17 planes a little closer when they do there flyovers around our countryside from the Willow Run in Ypsilanti.
I recently climbed into a B-17. Had read about them since I was a kid obsessed with wartime planes. Was sort of surprised by how small and cramped it was. Enthralled nonetheless.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I have always wondered about this. They must have had some sort of industry going on; I know there's a few Soviet-era Russian synths floating around. Guitars I've never heard of or seen though.
Me too. Crude electronics they do, I mean, Russian tubes are(were!) common, but actual instruments, not so.

dspellman1

Tele-Meister
I think the Sabre was the American version. I love these early jets!
My Dad flew F-86 Sabres shortly after WWII in Hawaii out of Hickam and Wheeler bases there. They lost a few to faulty oxygen systems, so it was a bit tricky. But that was always one of my dream planes. The Mig 15 outperformed the F-86 in a lot of respects, but was usually trounced by better-trained pilots in the F-86.

If I were buying today, it would probably be something like the L39, which has been a pretty dependable trainer, built in the Czech Republic. It's fun to see the old Migs coming back into service, and it's good to know there's a reliable source of spares (I think there were at least 17,000 of them built). There are a few places that will give you a ride in a two-place version of the Mig for about 6 grand (last time I checked -- fuel prices can easily have changed that).

Linderflomann

Tele-Meister
Pretty modern. I'd take that over old instruments any day unless I'm going for the authentic look and feel. Useful load probably went up by 40 lbs too!

Edit, wait! $300K???? That's incredibly cheap considering the avionics and an almost zero time engine. Am I missing something?
The F-4 appears to have been seriously reduced in price since this article was written as well: https://www.popularmechanics.com/mi...antom-for-sale-1959-mcdonnell-douglas-f4h-1f/

My guess is very few people are willing to pay the maintenance and fuel costs for these things. You can't really let them sit around either, AFAIK all jet planes need to be used somewhat regularly to remain airworthy.