1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Footswitch wiring help please.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Voicing 13, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Good day all,

I am in the process of building the footswitch for my Fender Power Chorus. I have (very) limited knowledge of reading schematics, which led me into minor issues.

Time is not on my side, as I had trouble getting one of the component and I need to build this today due to my band having a "Battle of the Bands" Saturday afternoon. Therefore, I need to build this today.

The diagram calls for SPDT switches which have 3 lugs(if that is the right term) but I have no idea how to connect this into the circuit. What do I do with the middle one?

I am also uncertain of what jack needs to be used, is it a mono one or a stereo one or a stereo one but wired mono? I have unfortunately different interpretation of it by various people.

Please note I am following the diagram on the right for serial numbers S/N L099109 & above.

I am grateful for any help, thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The middle lug is the common (pole) which will be the 'hinge' of the switches in the diagram. In switches 1, 3 & 4 it looks like only 1 side is connected and when the switch is off it just opens the circuit. S2 will have the outer lugs (throw) connected to i) CR3 and ii) point between LD2 and CR1.Note all of this is guessing just based on the diagram, I haven't wired a switch like this before. If you have a multimeter, it makes it really easy to see how the switches work. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  3. Steve 78

Edited my post above. I did a quick google, the jack looks like a mono with a switch (i.e. the switch opens when a lead is plugged in and closes when it is removed.)

4. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Oh, never saw a jack like that! I hope they have the part.

Also, just to double check that I understand correctly what you were saying.

1,3, and 4 only one hinge is connected, not the middle or the outer?

S2 the first and other hinge is connected?

Your help is really appreciated!!!

5. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Here's a diagram of how it works:

[​IMG]

So in your schematic the Input (COM or common) comes from the left, and either connects to the circuit or is left 'floating' and doesn't connect to anything .

For your switch, solder the COM connection to the middle lug, the output to the rest of the circuit to A and nothing to B. The A or B doesn't matter - it can be either way round but the COM must go to the middle.

Steve 78 likes this.
  6. Steve 78

Ok I've drawn a crappy diagram which will hopefully help to expain. So SPDT is Single Pole Double Throw. The pole or common is always connected and is the middle lug. The pole is connected to either of the outer lugs (I've labelled 1 and 2) depending on the switch position.

switch.jpg
    In your diagram for S1, S3, S4, I only see a single outer lug connection so I'm assuming the other side is left unconnected. E.g. 1 would be connected but 2 left unattached to any wires.

7. Steve 78

Your diagram is better :lol:

8. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Only 'cos I stole it from the web - your graphics skills put me to shame :D

9. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Oh Gentlemen, thank you!!! I get it now. that makes a lot more sense. I had gotten the wrong switches but just went to the store and they did not have any that fit the bill. I hoping that I will be able to get out again but I think the ship maybe sunk. arg!

Is this the proper jack? Just bought it.

Attached Files:

10. Steve 78

It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks right. Though to be honest I'm not sure from the schematic what the switching part of the jack is for.

As far as the foot switches go, they shouldn't look exactly like the pic above, they should be foot switches of course.

footswitch.jpg

11. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Excellent. I have not been able to find one at the local store. Hopefully I can get one elsewhere before the end of the day. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

12. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

No go for today. Couldn't get the part. It was worth the try.

Thanks for all the help and I'll post picture when it's complete.

13. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

One more question:

The SPDT switch is it an on off on? I know I don't want momentary but is there anything else I should know?

Thanks

14. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Ok, I've done some more research, I will get an SPDT on on, correct?

15. Steve 78

Yes it should be on on. Ie in both positions it connects the common to part of the circuit. I'm not sure I've seen a footswitch with on off on. That would usually be a toggle switch (ie like a Gibson pickup select) but with the middle position breaking the connection.

16. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

OK thanks! It's not quite there yet. I went from having no signal to having the lead channel on permanently, I can turn on the boost but both the reverb and chorus turn on the chorus.

At least I have made progress form last night, I got the boost to work!

I'll post again when it all works out.

Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.