1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Food; going from eating for the taste to eating for the fuel...how?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 2HBStrat, Apr 22, 2021.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

How does one go from eating for enjoyment, when you find out that all of the food you like is bad for you, to eating food that is good for you but is harder to prepare and is more expensive?

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I'm watching.
    I have no idea myself.

DrPepper likes this.
  3. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

Just try this high protein solution.

20200104_172250.jpg

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Start by recognizing that food that is good for you doesn’t mean that it tastes bad. Get that mind share.

Despres, Bluesboy3, fjblair and 6 others like this.
  5. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

That's the trick isn't it. For me your title says it all. Sometimes you just have to eat not because it tastes good, but because you have to.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Why not try food that is good for you, easy to prepare and inexpensive?

Last night we had dal bhat. I think that qualifies.

Nick Fanis, gabasa, John Owen and 2 others like this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Food that is good for you is no harder to prepare than food that is bad for you.

Step up the fresh fruits and vegetables.

Stop frying and sauteing things. Broil or bake instread.

Increase fish and skinless chicken. Decrease beef and pork.

Add spices and herbs to keep the food interesting and vary the flavor.

Reduce cheeses, butter, ice cream, and other forms of concentrated fat.

Reduce sugar. Cut out soda and other sweetened drinks.

The A-Number-One trick to eating healthier is really simple in concept but difficult to do: don't have stuff that's bad for you in the house. Don't. Buy. It. No potato chips and other crap snacks.

Another thing that really helps but is hard to do is this: work it out in your mind that it is OKAY to feel hungry. Many people feel hunger and they immediately do something about it by putting stuff down the hatch. Instead, do something about it by acknowledging the hunger you feel is YOU taking control of your bad eating habits, drink a glass of water, and go for a brisk 20-minute walk, or do 25 push-ups, or do some sit-ups, etc. Occupy yourself so you're not thinking about eating.

You can do it. If I did it, so can you.

See that signature down below about cookies? I am a Cookie Freak. Every time I go to the market and I walk past the cookies, I have the following conversation with myself: "Oooo, cookies! ....No, I'm not getting cookies. Why not? Because they're bad for me, that's why. Nope nope nope. Start walking, ya moron. Keep walking."

That little ritual happens every time, and after a while it is quite empowering. I enjoy it now.

The one thing most people have control of more than anything else in life is what goes into their yap. Take control!

Keep at it. The more you do it, the better you get.

Mojo!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  8. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Agree w/ Peegoo - healthy eating starts in the store.

As far as actually flipping the switch; I fasted for a couple days: that first apple and some scrambled eggs sure did taste delicious

gabasa, Toadtele and DrPepper like this.
  9. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Baby steps. Cut out processed sugar first then see how you feel about things.

10. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

I dunno, I grew up eating what I would call pretty much a "Mediterranean diet" heavy on the fresh veggies, fruit, garden harvesting, and the choices most people consider "staples" have always been an "occasional treat" for me.
    From my perspective, I eat extremely well, and enjoy fresh salads and assorted vegetables every day.
    Difficult to prepare? There is some extra effort, but the resulting meals are WAY worth the time and effort IMO.

Now, if I could just get portion size under control...
    In that regard I must confess I am an animal.

Nick Fanis, fishermike and Mad Kiwi like this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Have you got a sponsor you can phone when you're feeling weak? Because you're going to have to stop eating fried pork rind. :(

12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

I hear it takes sacrifice and determination...

Toadtele likes this.
  13. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Buying healthy stuff that’s easy and tastes good is pretty key. Swapping snacks out makes a big difference, healthier breads... Stuff like skyr instead of full fat yoghurt.... Muesli not granola... Skimmed milk... Red meat fewer times a week... Every little helps and you get used to the better options. Cutting out refined sugars and alcohol made a big difference to me. I’ve gone off track over the winter but starting to look after things a bit more now.

14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

When I first joined Kaiser, and met my Dr. (I'm 6'5", very overweight, bad back)
    My Dr., looking at me ( a quick and correct assessment!) said:

- Do not worry about exercise right now. Exercise is good, but it is obvious that you are not exercising, and you probably will not

- Do not worry about dieting- dieting is good, but people never stick to them, and some are not healthful.

- Instead do this:
    Whatever you are eating- just cut that amount of food in half- you will lose weight.

He was actually right, for a while...

OldDude2 and beanluc like this.
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Today I made grilled skinless chicken. Dropped it in a big bowl. Squeezed a lemon. A little salt, a little garlic and a lot of pepper. Tossed it. Then started some long grain brown rice. Lit the grill 10 minutes later. Sliced some nice tomatoes. Took about 10 minutes of actual effort. Couch to table took about 45 minutes but most of the time I was sending emails and waiting on the rice and tossing a stick to my dog. I put a little chili oil on the rice. The chicken was great. Please bask in the glory of those beautiful grill lines.
    upload_2021-4-22_19-16-33.jpeg

OldDude2, Nightclub Dwight and Peegoo like this.
  16. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

About that “for a while” thing... According to Dr. Oz (yeah, I know...) what you weigh is a product of what you eat and how much you exercise. If you eat and exercise for a 300-pounder, you will weigh 300 pounds. If you eat and exercise for a 160-pounde, you will weigh 160.

If you weigh 300 and begin to eat and exercise for a 160-pounder, you will lose weight. You will get down to 160 pounds. And wonder why you can’t get down to 150.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  17. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Diet and exercise. For me the keto diet worked, but I've heard people doing crazy diets like the potato diet and what not.

Exercise because as you start to lose weight and get in shape you start to really feel and understand how our bodies are actually fueled by what we take in. You get more energy and you also understand the personal cost of eating food, which is that it leads to sabotaging your weight loss and exercise goals.

The keto diet was great because I was restricted from eating a lot of enjoyable foods and the enjoyable foods that I ended up eating became mundane and no fun anymore. It breaks the attraction to the enjoyment of eating. This is just what worked for me. Keto was a major hassle of a diet but its gotten easier as food manufacturers adapt to this diet. But it is still not any fun.

But at a minimum, cut out sugar and try to limit your carbs as much as you can.

18. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Peego really covered the bases very thoroughly. Like JuneauMike, another thing that helps me is I exercise before dinner. After a good round of cardio, you're not nearly as hungry because you just broke down the carbs from earlier in the day.

19. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Go buy 5 1 lb steaks. Spend the extra for grass fed ribeye.

If you’re hungry, eat steak. As much as you want.

Don’t eat anything else, drink only water and black coffee.

by the time the five steaks are gone you’ll have learned to use food as fuel.

Esquire Jones likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Take a loaf of French bread, slice it long ways, shovel all of that meet into the loaf of bread, poor some meat drippings over it, and eat the whole thing!

OldDude2 and Fretting out like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.