Food For The Fourth?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dkmw, Jul 3, 2019.

1. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You can’t cook, I can’t play; so it looks like we’re even:lol:

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

Bought some NY Strips. Probably will grill those, but if the day gets as hot as they expect I may stay inside and use the broiler. No clue what else yet although a nice big salad sounds good.

dkmw likes this.
  3. dkmw

Just in case anyone thought I was fibbin’ about the rolls baked in France...

39135E6E-E53E-4EEF-B800-5B799240C29C.jpeg

scrapyardblue, rogb and nojazzhere like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'm going up to the retirement place to help my mom.....they have a lunch buffet, nothing fancy.....ribs (beef), burgers, hot dogs, cole slaw, potato salad, three bean salad, baked beans, fried okra, chips, condiments for burgers and dogs,....I think that's about all. ( :) ) Yeah, I won't be moving very much tomorrow evening, but that's OK.....I generally avoid the crowds and fireworks on the fourth.
    But......HAPPY BIRTHDAY, USA!!!!!!!!

P Thought and dkmw like this.
  5. nojazzhere

Nice....but looks like even the French can't get the number of buns in a package right, either.....unless their hot dogs come six to a pack. :)

dkmw likes this.
  6. dkmw

Extra points for fried okra! :):):)

I just ate the last of a batch last night. I grow the stuff this time of year, and I’ve got enough picked to fry up again. But I’m saving it for the weekend.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

When I was a kid, my mom made the BEST fried okra.....not in a deep fryer but in a skillet, with the oil about half covering the okra......extra crisp, just how I like it.
    I suspect the okra at the retirement home is not FRESH, but frozen. It's still good, but I bet yours is better.

dkmw likes this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

We are volunteers involved with restoration of a very large 1910 school house while turning it into a non profit visitor center, so tomorrow I am in charge of installing a zip line into the bell tower/cupola to deliver very unique custom made reproductions of the six windows. If we succeed, a group of us will probably go out for a fancy dinner at the local resort. If we fail, I'll be sulking over some grilled venison and wine. We don't have much else to celebrate anyway.

scrapyardblue and dkmw like this.
  9. dkmw

That’s how I learnt it too, from my mom and her mother. But now I have 35 years of experience deep-frying so I just go with what I know:)

Okra is so cool, it’s makes it’s own sticky stuff to grab the flour and corn meal to get itself battered. I could eat my own weight in it when I was kid at my grandmother’s house.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

Jalapeños, remove seeds, fill with cream cheese, wrap in bacon, and grill slowly.

11. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Wonder how many chemicals it takes to get em from France to here and still allow em to sit on a shelf for a week? ;)
    Not trying to be negative just first thing I thought, chili dogs sound good to me though
    And a must have is corn on the cob
    Have a good 4th

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  12. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

The brisket goes on about 7 am. Hobo coffee at the same time.
    I plan to drag about 5 amps and most of my guitars and a PA out to the patio.
    No one will be coming over, except maybe the sheriff.

13. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

Coarse ground, skin-on, charcoal grilled. 'Murica!!

dkmw likes this.
  14. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

We’ve got a large crowd at the cottage. Six kids ranging from age 7 to 18, three adults including one who’s got celiac disease, the real thing vs the “I like gluten free” take. It gets hot and humid as no AC in the cottage so I like to BBQ all meats, and do gluten free for my daughter. Everybody arrived so late tonight I thought the mountain of venison burgers & Koegel’s I’d grilled would feed us tomorrow, but some neighbor kids walked over after their own dinner and once invited in to eat again that plan evaporated. God, kids can eat!

So tomorrow it’s BBQ marinated venison steak and pork chops I’ll cut from a whole loin, plus that gluten free favorite baked beans. It honestly hardly matters what with all the activities all day on the lake. I kinda wish for the potato salad I posted about earlier today, but don’t think I’ll get to it.

Thought we might add walleye after my fish dog got all excited about a dock fish today, but it was just a pike struck sucker so it’s not dinner, alas. 9000D4F6-8860-453A-A9F5-A5DEF8651FB2.jpeg

15. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

44BE9A60-7358-455B-8320-D70F2C336202.jpeg Thinking about making pizza in my gas fired pizza oven.

16. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Don't know. I'm at my girlfriend's sister's house and they don't have ac. So I'm probably going to be staying up all night on my phone. Whatever they make tomorrow better include vats of coffee.

dkmw likes this.
  17. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just the wife and I this 4th and we're keeping it simple. Fire up the grill for some hot dogs plus corn on the cobb. Sit on the back patio sipping a little nectar from the homeland, Redbreast Irish Whisky on the rocks backed with an ice cold Michelob Ultra and feeling sorry for those that have to drive a long distance somewhere.

dkmw and Fretting out like this.
  18. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I went to the Yankees/Mets game last night after two consecutive nights of 2 hrs sleep. The sausage and peppers smelled great, but I was too exhausted to eat. I got home from the game @3am. It's going to be in the 90s today. I just want a cold salad and lots of iced tea.

Brian J. and dkmw like this.
  19. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Boston butt in the smoker at 7 this morning, mixing cherry and hickory chips for the first half. Roasted corn and baked beans, homemade guac.

Gonna head out for a 20 mile bike ride this morning, will have baseball on this afternoon. Huge fireworks display a few blocks away tonight. Might have a sip of Buffalo Trace in honor of the Jim Beam fire.

dkmw likes this.
  20. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    dkmw likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.