Food delivery services mini rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tlsmack, Oct 2, 2019.

1. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I avoided using these services until recently. I figured if I am going to eat unhealthy prepared foods, I can at least get off my fat butt and go get it. I finally gave in to temptation. My experiences have been overwhelmingly negative.

Orders consistently incomplete, incorrect, and miss-priced. I am now banned from Uber after multiple billing disputes. I am currently at war with Doordash. They cancelled two of my orders due to out of stocks, but have yet to issue a refund. ( Chicken out of stock at Boston Market? Really?) Doordash is playing the "Great Benefit Life Insurance" game from The Rainmaker! Deny all all claims and hope people give up. 5 days, 2 phone calls, and 2 emails, and they claim they need more information.

Not worth the hassle, I can get in the car and save fees and tips. When you consider that the merchant, the billing company, and the driver are 3 separate entities, it sounds like a recipe for passing the buck. I know these services are popular, but paying $22 for some chicken wings, and not getting any blue cheese or celery? Not for me.

2. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Hey, they're slow but they do bad work.

Bob

Mouth, Shuster, coloradojeff and 2 others like this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Buddy of mine tried one recently. Bad experience he had to cancel order
    it took so long, and go get it.
    Problem is they can't cancel the bill for 4 working days.
    Also, some of these have corporate call in centers, so you are talking to someone 1000
    miles away who has no idea what or where you are talking about.

fyi

Get an extra can of beefaroni or spam for the cupboard

Shuster, coloradojeff and nojazzhere like this.
  4. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Nope. My sister in law tried a grocery store delivery service last time they visited and only about 30% of what she ordered showed up. LOTS of half assed substitutions or simply not in the order.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like a hassle. I can go to the place and have them mess up my order. No reason to pay them to bring the wrong order.

Shuster, Bassman8 and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've used Grub Hub and Door Dash quite a few times with pretty good results. I did recently order some food on Door Dash and they didn't have a driver to deliver it. After sitting around waiting for my food and then eating something else and going to bed, they finally cancelled the order and refunded my money at 1:00 in the morning.

7. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Tried to use one for the first time last Saturday. When my wife told me it would take 45 minutes, for something just down the street, I asked her to cancel it. The delivery was supposed to be free, for our first time using them. When I picked up the order, and given the total, I did the math and could see it was not free.

Unless we are unable to leave the house, there's not point. With security breaches being so common these days, the less we're putting our credit card out there, the better.

PlainAllman and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

So, ummm, whatever happened to grocery shopping every once in awhile and stocking up food in the fridge and pantry?

And cooking?

Wallo Tweed, Deeve, Shuster and 4 others like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I quit using food delivery thirty years ago when I got tired of cold pizza from Dominoes. No reflection on OP, but just how lazy have people become? I do my errands in groups, so I basically plan everything in a "single drive arc". If I need food, that's the last stop on the arc. If I lived closer to stores, and wasn't in Texas where it's 97 degrees eleven months out of the year, I'd walk or bike more.
    It makes me think people who use these services simply have more money than sense.

Shuster and GibbyTwin like this.
  10. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Heathen! No Millennial or Gen-X would ever support leaving the house and doing something on their own. What are you, some kind of Baby-Boomer living off the grid? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :D:D:D:D:D:D

I agree. We rarely even have pizza delivered; it's a mile away. Jump into the car and go get it.

11. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Haven't tried grocery deliveries yet. Doubt that I will. Refuse to have pizza delivered...but once, just once, we tried a take out delivery service...

When it arrived, there stood one of the largest people I had ever seen, with what appeared to be curry rice on his chin. When I opened the bag, it was clear some "sampling" had been going on. My vegetable curry appeared "disturbed" .

Never again. Ever.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Are you disabled or housebound? If not why would you even ever consider something like that?

Shuster and nojazzhere like this.
  13. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

My daughter worked as a driver for one of these delivery companies for about four months.
    She was explaining to me after she took the job how she got paid.
    A percentage of the order total was added to the order for the delivery fee. My daughter only got a smaller percentage of that depending on a few things. If she had the "insulated bag" she got an extra percentage and if she was wearing the "company T shirt" she got an extra percentage. So she spent almost $100 buying the insulated bag and a pair of T shirts from the company to start.
    Then she would sit in a parking lot waiting on her phone to alert her that she had an order to deliver. Usually on a Friday or Saturday night she might have six or seven deliveries, those were the best nights. But the company would not allow you to work only those nights, you had to work other nights as well where you might spend four hours sitting in the Wal Mart parking lot for one or two deliveries.
    As I said, my daughter did this for four months. She had a very bad Tuesday night one time where she had three deliveries all night, and two of those orders were messed up so she did not get paid anything for those deliveries. She decided that night she needed to figure out what she was really making at this gig. She figured up the mileage she was driving to deliver and the fuel cost involved. She also factored in her start up cost and the cost that the company took from her delivery fees if the order was messed up or wrong (she said that about 20% of the deliveries had an issue. In her company the person who ordered could claim that there was an issue with the food and the company would credit the delivery charges, and not pay the driver. She found that after taking everything into consideration she was making about a buck an hour when she factored in her tips as well.
    She quit that job the next day and was told she could not send her heated bag or t shirts back, or sell them to another driver.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

When I was in college, we'd routinely give $5 to our roommate to go get stuff for us from the store while we studied or whatever. Heck, we even took turns being the 'runner.' No one ever got everything they asked for. That's because we pre-paid a third party to go shop with no guarantee that the items we wanted would even be there, never mind the human error part of that third party equation.

Can't imagine a business plan for food delivery more rife with possible problems than this.

Shuster and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've ordered groceries online for home delivery a few times. Substitutions have been made in the order and stuff arrives with a very short expiry date. I live alone and love custard tarts but having to eat 4 within 24 hrs before expiry is not ideal when I can pick them up myself and grab the pack at the back of the shelf with 6 days left until expiry. Same with a loaf of bread etc. I prefer to just go to the store at 6am when they first open and the place is near empty.

Shuster, Pualee and nojazzhere like this.
  16. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

DoorDash and GrubHub have both been revealed to be routinely shorting the drivers on tips.
    The services are middlemen, who sit between food service providers and contractors who do the delivery.
    They aren't going to screw their clients--the food service providers--so they screw the drivers.
    S**t flows downhill, always.

Shuster likes this.
  17. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    I recently noticed that the big grocers now offer shopping service for you. It appears you go online and order stuff, pay for it, and then go pick it up. Some of these retailers have an area in front of the store where your stuff is brought out and put in your car.
    Walmart is now advertising they will start delivering groceries.
    Really?
    No one wants to take the time to pick out their own food at the store and pay for it and drive home with it?
    They want some stranger to pick it out and deliver it to them.
    What next, Walmart will have to offer food prep people that come into your home and prepare your food? Or chefs to cook it for you in your kitchen?
    Is everyone really that busy?
    It used to be only rich people had servants, cooks, etc.
    Now it appears everyday Joe's want that same level of service but at Walmart prices.
    Really?
    People want some Walmart employee doing all this stuff? And if Walmart doesn't offer this "service" the customer will go buy their stuff from some other retailer who will?
    I foresee (as has happened in this post) a world where all people do all day long is try to get other people to do their chores for them and then complain about it on the internet when the whole system goes kaput.
    No one will have time to work anymore I suppose. "I'm too busy to work, I have to solve all these problems in my life!"

Back to the OP, I haven't ever used a food delivery service. I have been at get togethers where pizza was ordered and delivered, but that's about it. I guess it depends on where one lives. I am in a rural area, I imagine this is more common in the city.

I can't wait until I see a delivery driver go down my street with a Taco Bell sign on his/her roof. Ha!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I wanted to order from Pizza Hut but they had all this weird stuff. I'm pretty close to one of their locations, but that one doesn't deliver and there was something weird about them that didn't allow me to order.

Domino's also had some annoying thing where you have to register on their site or befriend them on Facebook or something stupid. I just want a damn pizza.

Jerry's just has a menu online and you can call to order, so I just use them for pizza. I've ordered from other restaurants, Indian and whatnot, in the same way.

I know some people are into apps and sophisticated stuff, but I'm not into that just for getting some food.

(Pizza Hut and Domino's may not be set up like that where you live)

Not that we order food that often, maybe 3 or 4 times a year at most. Not even sure it's even happened this year.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The whole Uber internet gig jobs thing may be great for consumers but it’s just exploitation. The companies argue that they are not employers, they just provide a communication link to hook people needing rides or services with drivers who can perform those services. Uber, Lyft, Door Dash aren’t direct service providers they are just intermediaries. So, they’re not respondible for the results.

Wallo Tweed and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.