Foil Razor - What Happened?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Jan 15, 2020.

1. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was shaving today - first time since Monday - and once I got the forest down to stumps, I felt my old, trusty Braun 7-Series start to pinch / nick. OK, finish up and take a look after I shower.

Here is what I found:

20200115_111030.jpg

Tiny little "holes" in the foil.

I replaced this foil about a year ago, so it is fairly new. I try to replace the foil and cutters every 18 months or so.

I have had this Braun for 10+ years. I switched to a Norelco rotary a few years ago, and switched back. Rotary took way too long, and did not do as good a job as I can with the foil.

I normally do a wet shave now - shave cream, soap, or something, shave, rinse the head, and take it off to let it air dry. I run a cleaner cycle when the battery gets low. I do a 95% shave over my face and neck, then clean up the hard-to-cut-closely stuff with a triple blade razor in the shower (this cuts 5 minutes from shaving - I could spend 10 to 15 minutes with an electric to get "everything close", especially on my neck).

I am beginning to think someone dropped something on my head when I had it off to air dry after I shaved this weekend.

Has anyone seen this before?

The-Kid likes this.
  2. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe the blades are slightly misaligned/out of true in those spots leading to those little spots getting lopped off, and in the process, lopping little bits of you off? Lol

Steve Holt likes this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Maybe? I've had foil razors for decades, and I've never seen this before. Something could have gotten miss-aligned somehow, or it was not clipped all the way down last time I used it and the foil got damaged. It just seems odd.

4. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That has happened when my foil wears out. Replace the foil.

jvin248 likes this.
  5. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would just buy a new one... 10 years is a long time ...

6. f69tele

f69tele Tele-Meister

I had a Remington that did the same thing. After replacing the foil 2 or 3 times at $39 a pop, I decided it was no longer worth it and tossed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beagle likes this.
  7. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

I used foil razors (Remington, Braun, Panasonic etc.) many years ago and mine ALWAYS ended up looking like yours with the large holes. Whether I replaced the foil and blades or bought a new razor they seemed to wear out like that in less than a year. I have a particularly difficult beard (like tree trunks) and the rotary (Norelco) type would cut my beard just fine but the foil types never could handle my beard - my father had the same trouble with his beard and swore by Norelco. These days I just use an old fashioned Gillette manual razor... and I've been really tempted to go even older old school and get a straight razor.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Is there an older school than growing a beard? :)

stevemc likes this.
  9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I switched from Braun to Norelco when my cordless Braun would no longer hold a charge -- which was after many years of use.

The key to using a Norelco is keeping its blades and screens clean. They clog after a couple of shaves and stop cutting, and because of their design they're more difficult to clean than Braun's and Remington's blades and screens.

10. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I use a Norelco every day. What's left after shaving is no more than a couple hours growth. I finish with a 5 blade razor in the shower if I'm going someplace special. I don't use shaving cream. I use conditioner that I bring home from hotels instead. The conditioner works much better than any foam or gel I've tried, leaving no nicks or cuts, and I have enough of it in my closet to outlast me for sure.

11. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

Just another argument against shaving. You've already spent enough on razors and parts to buy a couple of nice pedals. Priorities.......

stevemc, sonicsmitty, jvin248 and 2 others like this.
  12. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

I stopped jumping with the lemmings seven years ago.

I bought a double-edged safety razor from Edwin Jagger, and a package of 100 Astra Platinum blades.

$29 for the razor
    $13 for the blades.

I am not even halfway through my blades, and have had zero outlay of cash for razor blades in seven years.

I have dabbled with brushes and shaving soaps, but that is just for scents and different brushes.

I'll never, ever go back to 5-blade, 4-blade, 6-blade razors, and the shaver I bought will last my lifetime.

I have never tried a foil or Norelco style machine, but I feel great I am not feeding the Gillette machine.

~syf

JL_LI, Brian J. and Milspec like this.
  13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Same here, about 25 years ago.

f69tele likes this.
  14. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Meister

I simply quit shaving, which is a good solution on many levels. :D

stevemc likes this.
  15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Amen brother, been using a Gillette Fat Boy safety razor from the '50's for the last 7 years. It was just so stupid to pay a fortune for modern blades when you can buy a pack of White Feather safety razors for about 35 cents each.....and they last a week. I don't use the mug soaps or creames, just use a quality shave gel like before and haven't been disappointed.

The only negative to using safety razors is that you can't skip several days unless you grow a very light beard. I don't and if I skip 2 days it is no fun using my double sided blades.

For those interested in starting out, the Merkur shavers and their blades are both pretty good and inexpensive. That Gillette Fat Boy though has the best beard comb built into it than any other razor so it glides well.

There are even companies out there that will restore and replate vintage razors if you want to go that route.

16. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic

I'll probably get banned for this.... but.... :eek:

What would you rather do, shave every day, or bleed once a month?

I guess the 3rd option is to just not shave, and since it's -30C here, some facial hair might help....

17. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I let my beard grow for a week, then knock it down with a trimmer, then use a Braun 7 to go down to bare skin. If I feel like it, I go for a blade shave after that.

Unless I want to shave every day like schoolboy, all this 'go old school' crap ain't gonna work on my beard. And I'm not putting aside time to shave daily, not like some fastidious simp.

I also will put up my 'cost per year' against anyone's. This system is less than $1 month since my electric ones are years old and have long ago been amortized.

EDIT--to the OP--yeah, worn out. Replace. They last more than a year, but not always.

18. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Safety razor and soap here. Don't need no frilly stuff.

jvin248, Brian J. and Milspec like this.
  19. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

You guys realize the Double Edge Safety Razor from the 50s is 100% the Hipster solution these days right?

It's right up there with the Man Bun, curated boutique flannel, etc..

Always used Gillette stuff. My hair is like wire, quite coarse... occasionally I get curious about electric razors but they cost a bunch and from reading this thread I'm guessing I'd have trouble based on what you guys are saying.

A few years ago I tried dollar shave club. The razors are cheap chinese crap, but they have great marketing! Then I realized you could get almost the same price on the Gillette stuff through Amazon. Done. But I don't use the new crazy 5-blade ones. Those give such a close shave I get ingrown hairs. No sense in paying for that.

Grant Austin likes this.
  20. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Don't really know if it's necessary to weigh in at this point, but yeah - that's due to wear and it's time to replace the foil. Done it many times over the years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.