foil leaf suppliers?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by ruger9, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

This is a project I've wanted to do for 30 years, but just never got around to it. I want to leaf an old guitar of mine (it's an 80s shredder, so it'll be apropos LOL). BUT... I don't want gold leaf, I want to do multiple colors, like in the pic below... having a hard time finding suppliers of multi-colored leaf, except from nail salon suppliers.... is that it? I guess that would work, but I was hoping for sheets, as it's a much larger work surface, of course...

(I realize actual "multi-color leaf" likely doesn't exist, and I'll be using individual colored foils) multi foil nails.jpg

2. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

3. Carcinogen

Carcinogen TDPRI Member

You should be able to pick that up at craft stores like Michaels. I bought some a few years ago.

4. ruger9

hmm, I looked on eBay, but I must not have been using the right search terms, because those did not come up. Not bad... not enough colors, but... I'll keep looking.

re: Michaels... I was going to look there. The stuff NEEDS to be actual metal tho, if I'm doing a gold leaf type of application, right? Because I've seen some "foil-like" (plastic) sheets as well.

5. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

https://www.wbgoldleaf.com/ is where I buy my leaf...they are who my signmaking mentor recommended and they provide quality product and service.

That said, there are "non real" leaf products out there if you don't want the real deal. I haven't seen any multi color stuff however, but then again, I've never looked.

ruger9 likes this.
  6. ruger9

Jim,

Thanks for that! Your supplier website informed me about "variegated gold leaf", so I started searching for that... ended up finding this on amazon... 1 or 2 of these would probably do an entire guitar top, the sheets are about 3"x3", but you get ALOT of them.... and they're made out of copper, so real metal- so I should be able to use standard gold leaf application techniques...

Let me know what you think?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JNMGBZ7/?tag=tdpri-20

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.