1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Focusrite Scarlett free software/ do I have to download it to the first computer I plug it into?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by RhythmFender, Dec 4, 2020.

1. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

I’m going to do some home recording this winter. My old computer is REALLY old, so I’m waiting for the new one to be delivered. Meantime, I want to just mess around on GarageBand on the old computer until it arrives next week.

The focusrite Scarlett interface I have yet to use and it comes with free recording software. So like the title says, my question is do I have to download the free software onto the first computer I plug it into or do I have the option to use it now with the old computer and wait until the new one arrives to actually download the software? Sorry if that’s a dumb question. Thanks for the help.

superjam144 and Coloradotwanger like this.
  2. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have been wondering the same thing myself......

3. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  4. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Your computer won't recognize it until the drivers are installed. But most of the DAW software is optional. You can use any DAW you want to.

superjam144 likes this.
  5. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The OP said it was to use with GarageBand, so I read that as a Mac, which has built-in driver support for these. Don't know about the 2nd poster!

6. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

This. Most of the time the software might not be as good as what you got already, or prefer to use. You need the drivers - the software will recognize the device as long as the drivers install. And they should install as soon as you plug the usb in.

I love the scarlett focusrite thingymajyger.

7. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I got one a month or two ago and thought I had to download/install all that crap--it seemed invasive, wasteful, and creepy, but I did it. But I also sent an email to Focusrite asking if it was really necessary, because I wanted to use the interface with more than one computer and blah blah license blah blah ... Their response wasn't that helpful, but I'm pretty sure that if you just want to use it as the hardware interface, you can do as you like, and skip the crapware. The crapware probably lets them track your usage ... If you will use Audacity or GarageBand or whatever, just plug it in, hit up your control panel to point your system at it, and have fun. If you want to use the software they provide, it could be trickier.

Oh yeah I haven't used it yet, but my wife has, she say's its a breeze.

8. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

For an older Mac, just plug it in and go.

9. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

No drivers needed for a Scarlett into a Mac using GB.

10. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

On my PC I had to sign into Focusrite/create an account then was able to download any software included as many times as required.

There's more software there - not only drivers. I downloaded everything to a stik and put it on my basement PC which is for recording only/no internet so doesn't get polluted with updates and other garbage.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  11. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I used the Scarlett solo with a Chromebook, so obviously no drivers necessary. Although, some options would require the software.

12. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

Most software vendors will allow you to transfer a licence between machines, if you don’t have a serial, especially in the case of upgrading to a newer machine.
    Same thing with the various plug-ins specific to the interface.
    That said, the Lite versions bundled with the hardware are not always useful.
    GarageBand is pretty good nowadays so worth sticking with that until you’re ready to move to Logic Pro.

RhythmFender likes this.
  13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

You can download whatever you want from the bundled software, whenever you want, once you have registered the Scarlett online.

14. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

I have read there is driver issues with Focusrite running on windows 10 enough to put me off replacing my NI komplete audio 6 with one

15. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

There are no driver issues.

16. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

The current 3rd gen kit is as close to plug and play as you can get with no driver issues.

The original 1st gen kit, could have driver issues. But as is usual on the internet, issues with old gear often gets repeated as applying to the current kit.

beagle likes this.
  17. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I have a Focusrite Solo and run it on various Win 10 machines with no issues

beagle likes this.
  18. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

^This^

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.