FMT HH Telecaster love?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by hiredcode, Feb 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Howard VA

Howard VA Tele-Meister

01351E3B-61D0-4794-ADA4-638403DFC568.jpeg 31821DE0-60AB-420A-969B-B5F52485AB12.jpeg F2429778-B43C-4856-A3FC-48AABC0FDB20.jpeg I love my transparent blue Fender FMT Custom Tele. This was a color only offered for a year or two. Everything is stock, except I replaced the black pickup rings with cream ones. Set neck, body and neck binding, coil tap, body contour, thin and light.....so much to like at a very reasonable price.

2. dalezjc

dalezjc TDPRI Member

I picked one up on a whim, not knowing what to expect in October, and quite frankly, I haven't played my standard Tele since. It has incredible tone and is so easy to play it's mind-boggling. If you're thinking about buying one, just do it as you won't regret it. fmt-tele1.jpg fmt-tele2.jpg

3. PaulHCantillon

PaulHCantillon TDPRI Member

I bought one last Xmas - the chrome was corroded, so I replaced everything I could - apart from the Bridge piece (but I did replace the saddles) & the tuners. One dumb thing was the different knobs, one was push on, the other had a grub screw. My only gripe with it (I'm ok with the neck as it feels like my PRS) is the quiet sound of the single coil in the middle position - seems way way more quiet than any of the other sounds (even taking into acount the single coil nature of it). Is that a feature, or should I look into it further? Other than that, it is currently my favourite guitar.

4. PaulHCantillon

PaulHCantillon TDPRI Member

That is a beautiful colour. Mine is a red version of that (not like the dark smokey red pictured elsewhere in this thread)

5. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Holic

I have the same one as this

6. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Holic

I got mine in 2009 or so... I was the only guitar on our Worship team and we played everything from the old Hymns to Modern CHRISTIAN music of the day.

I love it... Very versatile and with the coil split, bridge pick up and picking style... made ya flinch?

No it’s not a traditional Tele but Still a great guitar. It’s like a Les Paul but better IMO.

7. Sybo

Sybo Tele-Meister

I had one just like the Ops. The guitar was gorgeous, sounded good, played pretty well, the finish is a bit fragile and the neck was a bit thin though. Traded for an Epi LP.

8. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I had one. Not only the thin shredder neck turned me off but the neck radius is like 153/4" I hated it and sent it back. The pickups were awesome though.

10. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

How about a humbucker-size P90 like the Bare Knuckle 'Mississippi Queen'?

hiredcode likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That's enough to put it on my "do not want" list.

12. Siamese

Siamese TDPRI Member

Let's see. Mahogany body. Mahogany, set neck. Isn't it just an SG with a 25.5" scale length. If that's what you want, then it's a terrific guitar. The only thing it has in common with a Tele, really, is it's shape.

I've had a couple of them. All in all, not bad. Doesn't really fit my current herd of guitars, though.

13. ronmail65

ronmail65 TDPRI Member

I've been thinking about one of these for a year or so - on paper it sounds like what I really want.

I just got the Vintera Custom 70's Tele and I'm thinking strongly about returning it, for various reasons. Maybe I should exchange it instead...

Question... When some of you say 'small' neck - do you mean 'thin' ... like a 'wide-thin'?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  14. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

After reading all of the posts so far I could only find a couple of minor negative observations that didn't have to do with personal preferences so it seems to me since you're liking the guitar go to the specs and decide whether they suit you or not. Oh, and one thing that I don't think has been mentioned is that the FMT is no longer made in Korea. It's still made by "Cort" but now in Indonesia. I loved mine with the one exception of the color. Pretty OCD on my part but the amber top was just a bit to yellow for my taste. I thought I'd get over it but I just never could. Eventually I sold it to my Son in Laws Dad, and picked up this similarly priced Ibanez AR325 without losing to much on the deal. Slim body, similar neck profile, humbucker, split coil, parallel modes, beautiful bubinga top and killer Super 58 pick ups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    AndrewG likes this.
  15. carvingcode

carvingcode TDPRI Member

Just received mine yesterday. Great tone. I was particularly interested in the increased sustain I read about before purchase.

IMG_1672.jpeg

hiredcode and hemingway like this.
  16. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Hows the quality and neck? I know these are on the thin side! and thats whats keeping me from buying them..

I wanted one to replace the pickups to filters or Dynas..

17. ronmail65

ronmail65 TDPRI Member

I received mine a couple weeks ago and returned it. The particular one I received had a very flat neck with a slight twist. It was totally buzzy and fretting out, so I didn't get any real indication of the tone. I did some minor truss rod adjusting, but was getting out of my comfort zone for that type of work. So I gave up.

That said, the neck was flat and thin. Not a shredder neck - I would describe it as a little thinner than a 1960's LP neck profile. The guitar was comfortable to hold and play and it was fairly light weight. The finish and detail (at least cosmetically speaking) was great. Not sure it's for me, so I didn't exchange it - just did a straight return. Maybe I'll try again some other time...

18. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I almost bought one a few years ago but went with a G&L ASAT deluxe tribute, which was similar, apart from a bolt-on neck, and half the price.

It's been a great guitar, but the pickups have never really excited me. Thinking of putting some humbucker-sized P90s in it.

19. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's

Never read so many complaints about the neck. I don't have a problem with it and it's the only bound neck I have. Can't be skinnier than a CV 50. But to each his own.:)

I still love it and in fact using it today for a project I've been working on, tarnished hardware and all. Only problem I've had was thinking the volume pot was going but a little contact spray cleared that up.

15 yrs old and going strong. I think it's a rather unique guitar for Fender. The top and the Duncan pups make for an almost Gibby feel.
    I guess maybe unique is not the word I should use in light of the Paranormal series ;)

20. carvingcode

carvingcode TDPRI Member

I'm happy with everything about the guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.