Flying with Fender Classic Case

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by znanjeiimanje, Oct 13, 2019.

1. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje TDPRI Member

Finally time to get another electric (last one was 2008) and planning to buy it in Boston and fly with it from Boston to Mexico City. The airline options are Delta and Jet Blue (still haven't bought the ticket). The guitar comes with a Fender Classic Case [​IMG]

The dilemma I have is the following options that I have to transport the guitar:

1. Stuff the case with my shirts, loosen the strings, wrap the case in stretch foil and protect it with some carton on the sides. Then check the case in the hold with all other luggage. (sidenote: I have actually done this flying with my Martin D28, flying with Austrian Airlines on European flights and never had any incidents. It was in the stock molded case by Martin)
    2. Buy a gig bag, place the guitar in the gig bag and try and see if i can pass with the gig bag, while the case would go in the hold like in step 1 stuffed with shirts and wrapped.
    3. Disassemble the guitar, put the neck and body in my backpack for travelling (it can actually fit there disassembled), check the case in (like step 1). I am only worried here that someone from TSA might get ideas that i might smash someone's skull with the neck.
    4. Put on a nice smile, walk directly to the gate (no checked luggage) and ask to gate check it. If I fly Delta, I might have a connection in Atlanta though, so i'd have to do that two times. Just in case i'd bring some carton and stretch foil to wrap the case in it in case I'd have to check it.

I'd love to try option 4 (a gamble, I know), though i'd like to hear if anyone had any experience flying with this type of case before. I have seen people carry acoustics mainly in Geib cases and they didn't seem to have an issue. Was just wondering if this would apply to the Fender Classic case as well.

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I’ve never flown with a guitar but have also heard stories of airlines breaking open The latches on cases to look inside so if you do have it in the case going into storage you may not want to lock it

I think you should look up the airlines of your choice and find their particular rules on the subject

I know there was a great article written about this a couple years ago in a music magazine you might be able to find it if you search traveling with instruments

I’d probably just try the first option at least fenders are fairly sturdy And least prone to damage

3. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

4. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

something I copied a while back fro Federal regs...

SEC. 403. MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS.
    (a) IN GENERAL—Subchapter I of chapter 417 is amended by adding at the end the following:
    ‘‘§ 41724. Musical instruments
    ‘‘(a) IN GENERAL—
    ‘‘(1) SMALL INSTRUMENTS AS CARRY-ON BAGGAGE.—An air carrier providing air transportation shall permit a passenger to carry a violin, guitar, or other musical instrument in the aircraft cabin, without charging the passenger a fee in addition to any standard fee that carrier may require for comparable carry-on baggage, if—
    ‘‘(A) the instrument can be stowed safely in a suitable baggage compartment in the aircraft cabin or under a passenger seat, in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the Administrator; and
    ‘‘(B) there is space for such stowage at the time the passenger boards the aircraft.

5. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

When I brought my Tele from Nashville to Korea, I removed the strings (to make sure they wouldn’t dent the frets), stuffed clothes/socks/etc. into any gaps to make everything snug, then put the case (same as the one in your photo) into a cardboard box a little larger than it was, and checked it in with my other suitcase. Three flights (and three countries) later, it was still fine.

I’ve had multiple friends encounter problems when trying to carry on guitars, even when they had checked with the airline first.

6. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje TDPRI Member

Thank you for your responses. I just googled the guitar prices in Europe and came up with the following:

Poland: American Original 60's 7,000 PLN (x0.256848 = 1,797 USD) vs 1,949 USD list price in the US. As a foreigner you have the right to get 23% tax refund if you exit EU with the guitar, meaning they return you another 1,797 x 0.23 = 413 USD. Total cost of the guitar 1,383 USD.

I will be there on business next month so might use this option. Will try to take it on the plane as well. But I am a bit shocked that AO's in Europe can turn to be cheaper than American Professional in the US. Just weird.

7. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

If you can carry it on, great. If you can't, see if you can do a "gate check." You carry the guitar to the gate, airline personnel take it from the gate and put it in the cargo hold. When you land they take it out of the cargo hold and return it to you at the gate/skybridge. It's a way to avoid having the baggage gorillas manhandle your guitar, throwing it onto the trolleys that take it to the plane and throwing it from the trolleys onto the baggage conveyors, etc.

Unfortunately it doesn't always work. I gate checked a pedal steel guitar once and it was fine on the outgoing trip. On the return flight they didn't return it to me at the gate. They sent it to the baggage carousel where it promptly jammed the conveyor belt that brought the bags up from the ground floor to baggage claim. Didn't damage the instrument, but pi**ed off a lot of people waiting for their bags...

8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I've only flown with an electric a few times. I opted for carrying on with a gig bag. Worked out fine.

9. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

AIR, there was recently a thread on this exact same subject either in TDPRI or Strat-talk .....deja vu. I'd favor option 2, except the size of the gig bag exceeds the allowable carry on luggage measurements for most airlines. if so, option 1: put guitar in case, and then case in full carton; Fender original box might be avail at music store, and certainly if you buy on line and have it shipped to you. Carton should not exceed airline allowable measurements, considering some people ship surfboards.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  10. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

Wouldn’t it be better just to ship it to yourself?

11. fretWalkr

fretWalkr TDPRI Member

i agree, ship it. Get a shipping box from the store where you buy it. Pack and ship.

I would also see what it would cost to check it in as luggage with guitar and case packed in the shipping box.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Carpets traditionally fly better than guitar cases

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.