1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Flying to another state for some family time, do I take a guitar or find one there?!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by metalosophy, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

I'm "this close" to pulling the trigger on a Stewart Stowaway and installing a custom pickguard with P-Rails, a lot of switching and some other goodies.

The aforementioned Mustang Micro will the amp of choice (love mine, too). So far I have that, a set of earbuds, a cable and a decent Bluetooth speaker. The whole mess fits in my hand.

2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If you visit your niece and her family once a year for a week at a time, having a semi-decent guitar that lives there might make sense if they don't mind it taking up space, whether you niece ever takes it up or not. One of my best friends, pro guitar player, has stashed old beater guitars at all of the homes he regularly visits-- his parents', his brothers/sisters, etc.

I've stayed at a few B&Bs in my time and a lot of them keep a few instruments laying around along with board games, cards, etc. Back in the day most people would have a piano in their house even if they didn't really play. Nowadays seems like having a guitar in the house is more viable.

Deathray and Ed Storer like this.
  3. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

Do you really want to spend the time hunting down and buying a guitar when you get there? Maybe it needs new strings too (which means a trip to a music store too), or a mild fret dressing, or truss rod adjusting (got any wrenches with you?) , or whatever...suddenly you would have cut a lot of time out of your trip there.

I have thrown guitars (both acoustic and electric), in their cases, in the overheads on Southwest. Or as previously mentioned, I have taken an electric and unbolted the neck, putting both neck and body into a suitcase. Either way, I vote for carrying one with you—or forgetting about it for a week.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Guitar center has 30 day return policy.
    Have one delivered to where you’re going to be.
    Return it on your way out of town.

goonie likes this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

What I have done several times - most recently for a week in Texas: Remove the neck of a guitar you actually like (nothing too precious), and take the disassembled neck and body, plus a set of strings and a #2 phillips screwdriver in your checked bag, assuming you check bags. I have even done it in a carry on situation but that doesn't leave a lot of room for extra undies.

That way your cost is just a pack of strings and 15 minutes of basic guitar assembly. For an "amp" all you really need for travel is an ipad (which I would bring anyhow, it's great for airplanes) and a little dongle thingy plus the free Garageband software (or Amplitube if you prefer).

That way you don't need to think about buying and selling guitars, covid restrictons, spending money, owning more junk that is not even in the state you live in, and so on. Someday I will get up the nerve to do the permanent neck bolt inserts, and then will only have to bring an allen key, and I won't be wondering how many more removals and reattachments I should be doing with a guitar.

For car trips I have taken the THR10, that works great too, but our road trip vehicle is a minivan so I could take an AC30 with me and be fine.

6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Man, this is pretty poor behavior. I'm sure OP could get away with it, but it's unethical and just lame, wasting other people's time and a bit of some companies money.

Deathray, ArcticWhite and 985plowboy like this.
  7. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

I won't be doing that. I had a friend growing up who would return his computer to costco every year for a new one at no cost -- he's the reason we can't have nice things.

8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Oh, I agree with you completely.
    But I still put it out there.

goonie and Fretting out like this.
  9. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Is the place you're going likely to be good for guitar safari action?

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What ethics are being violated?

Case 1. Joe buys a guitar from GC. Ends up not liking it enough and returns it.

Fine! We're all happy. Joe might not even have taken a shot, buying that guitar, if GC didn't have that return policy.

Case 2. Fred buys a guitar from GC while on holiday intending to return it but likes it so much he keeps it.

Fine!

Case 3. Phil buys a guitar from GC while on holiday intending to return it but likes it so much he keeps it... But at the last minute decides he doesn't like it enough and returns it.

So, hero or villain? Is he more like Joe or more like Fred? Where is the ethical line, if at all?

goonie likes this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’ve rented an acoustic guitar from Bounty Music while on Maui. It was a good condition Yamaha set up for strumming. I’m not a strummer. BC, Before COVID, I’d stop in GC, or The Folk Center in Claremont when visiting grandkids. I can still play when I get home after 2 weeks. It probably makes more sense to drop in to play. I never fail to buy something when I do that and I’ve never had someone act put off by my dropping in to play.

12. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

Search is over, we did it boys.

00O0O_9ZBR4DQ1hKuz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

13. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wife and I used make annual visits to Vidalia, Georgia. I went to the local music store (there was only one) and found a used Ibanez Concert acoustic for $85. Bought a set of strings (it only had 5 ugly strings on it). Practiced while I was there and left it with a sister-in-law who had a granddaughter that wanted to play.

I haven't been back to Georgia in a few years now and have no idea what has become of the guitar - it would be nice if it was in a closet or unused bedroom, when I return for a funeral or something, but I really don't worry about it.

But it was nice to have a practice guitar for a couple of years without having to transport one. I had golf clubs that were enough hassle as checked luggage.

For those making regular visits to family, I recommend getting a cheap guitar and storing it with a family member. If it disappears in the mist, you won't really miss it.

metalosophy likes this.
  14. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’d lend a guitar to any TDPRI member who asked. If you’re in Branson, hit me up.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  15. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Why concoct clever little puzzles to justify d(*^&$^% behavior? Treat the people around you and the companies you do business with with respect because it's the right thing to do. It's not complicated, it's just grown up behavior.

chris m. and Deathray like this.
  16. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Go there empty-handed.

Find a local pawn shop and pick up something interesting.

I have done this many times in my travels.
    It's fun.

And you can always sell it before you leave, or give it away.
    :)

guitar_paul1 likes this.
  17. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Meister

I do the same thing.

blackguts likes this.
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn’t put a guitar on a plane unless I had to.

19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

If you need to be told in context of what was suggested, you don't have one.

Deathray likes this.
  20. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

I have a spare guitar stashed not far from you.

Harry Styron likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.