1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fly Pretty Little Bird ( mix content )

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by suthol, Jan 9, 2021.

1. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

A new one written and sung by Max's daughter Julie who is now a permanent member of Never Too Late, no harmonies for a change in this one

For the strings I created a piano part in BIAB 2020 and dropped it in as a MIDI file, isolated the RH notes to create a solo viola in the first string part and then both hands in to create a string quartet for the final chorus to the end.

Vocals were recorded in Max's living room, the mic picked up a bird chirp in a gap between the words which I cut and copied then duplicated and dropped in at what I thought were appropriate places

Our dear and badly missed mate Bob is on the left in the pic which was taken at Christmas 2019

Waddayareckon

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    still_fiddlin and woodman like this.
  2. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Sounds good on the laptop, I'll listen to it in the Woodshed this afternoon.

3. woodman

Nicely done, Dave! A world apart from the early version you floated. Certainly one of your best productions!

4. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Thanks Woody we are proud of it

5. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Niiiiiiiiiice. She's got a lovely voice. Was that an actual bird at the end? I was gonna put some birds my wife recorded on one of my songs but when I went to try it there was too much low hum from the recording on her phone. I recorded some the other day with my phone and I will see if it works out in a song. We have a brush pile right now from cutting down 5 trees lately and the sparrows congregate there in like 100 or more at a time and at times they all start singing. It's nice.

6. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

In some songs Julie has a Kasey Chambers sound and quality to her voice and yes that is a real bird, there was a single audible chirp just before the last " fly fly fly " at the end of the song so I moved it to a separate track, copied it and placed it a bit more musically.

It's not the first time I have used bird song, I have magpies, white and black cockatoos in Road To Forbes the 4th track on our album, also used wind in the trees in the same song but once embedded it sounded like waves in the surf so totally out of context and was removed again

FortyEight likes this.
  7. woodman

Appropriate/salient sound effects are so cool if you don't overdo them! :D

suthol likes this.
  8. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

Soundcloud link didn't work for me :(

9. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I pulled it down, it seemed the comments had run dry I'm away now until the weekend so can't put it back up again before then

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.