Fly in a Spitfire £4.5K - what.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EddieLocrian, Jul 10, 2019.

1. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Shuster and Gibson like this.
  2. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Operating those airplanes isn't exactly cheap. If I could spend that kind of money somewhat casually, I'd do it.

Steve Holt, DrPepper, Shuster and 2 others like this.
  3. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

So would I.

Steve Holt and Danjabellza like this.
  4. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Me too. They're only 25 miles up the road from here -- and they do offer shorter, cheaper flights.

5. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I've heard that Spits cost about $2k per hour to operate, without a pilot. Add pilot and insurance and a little profit and bingo!, I can't afford it. Hehehehe. It's sad because my uncle, my dad's brother, flew Spits during the war and died in a flight accident. The static display Spitfire Mk.1 at Cosford, Spitfire 9942, was on my uncle's OTU station (RAF Hawarden) while he was there. We've got his log book. Spit 9942 isn't recorded, but it was there. OTUs only had a handful of fighters. It is nice to think that he walked by it on the flight line and lusted after it!

Meanwhile I've watched the Spitfire gyro horizons (artificial horizons) on eBay for several years. Someone at the RAF hoarded these things and they were eventually surplused out. I get the feeling a single person bought the lot. In 1986, in order to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the Spit's first flight, someone created a horrible little bookstand by bolting a gyro horizon to a slab of wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, that's the idea, anyway. For years they cost $70 but they've slowly worked their way up to $130. Last week I found one that dates from 1943 and had an opening bid of $20. I had a $5 coupon from eBay. I couldn't resist. As it got ready to close I bid the $20 and won it. That means my investment is a whopping $15.

Now, I may find that wanting is more satisfying than having :D but I've always wanted some little memento to remind me of my uncle. Eventually I think I'll have some of his medals and his log book.

Bob

P Thought likes this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You can buy your own supermarine spitfire replica for about 90k.

7. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

Just hope no one is flying their Me-109 while you're in the Spit!

8. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

I heard that WW2 only started after a WW1 re-enactment day got a bit out of hand.

Anyhow I have an Airfix 1/72 scale from the 70s.
    I remember as a kid getting the 1/25 scale monster for Christmas but the wing was bent in the box - ruined.

9. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Considering that it might cost you several million pounds/dollars to fly one yourself, $4500 seems cheap to me. If I had the cash lying about doing nothing, sure. However, I'd be very happy to simply visit one, say at Duxford during one of the airshows.

A Spit can burn between 95 and 150 gal in 55min (depends on the model, activity, etc.). That isn't much in the way of fuel costs for the flight...but it probably costs about £2,000 to fill 'er up.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup, I have walked away from opportunities to ride in a few WWII bombers a couple times now. A one hour ride for the price of a new guitar .... ummm, not happening.

Shuster likes this.
  11. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

A Spit has a fuel tank capacity of 85 Imperial or 102 U.S. gallons in two tanks, one above the other, directly in front of the pilot. That provided about two hours of flight time as long as the throttle wasn't pushed past the restraining wire into emergency power. The actual figure was a full power climb to altitude, 1.67 hours of loiter, and ten minutes of combat. I checked the current cost of AVGAS at the local civil aviation field and it is $5.69, full-service. A fill-up would thus be $580.38 or £464.01. An hour's worth at moderate speeds would consume roughly a half tank and cost half that. Later planes added ten more gallons.

But each hour of flight must also reflect amortization of costs for inspection, maintenance, repairs, insurance, storage, personnel, other fluids, and consumables such as tires (tyres).

Fun fact: Do you know how owners of vintage planes in the U.S. get tires? The crew chief for a Boeing B-17 told me: Every few years, Goodyear, who own many of the molds from the period, puts out the word that they are going to do a special run of B-17 tires in a few months. They say, "How many are you going to need for the next ten years?" Owners have to buy everything they need until the next run! The first tires to go are the tail wheel tires because the tail wheel gear doesn't caster wide enough to keep the wheel aligned so they get scrubbed far more.

Bob

Obsessed likes this.
  12. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Come on Lotto:)

13. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

I know where I can lease a Learjet 10K per hour, fuel extra...

14. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

Tiger Moth is £150, you had to train on those back in the day!

15. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

I put in a bid of $750 to take a ride in a PBY... outbid in the auction by 2 grand!

16. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

$65 to sail on the Bluenose 2 for a couple hours

Cheap:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.