Floridians

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
To any of you currently in Florida.
I hope you are safe.

I was just wondering if any of you could give us a live update of conditions in your area.

Stay safe and take care
My sister lives in Ft Myers and we've been communicating around the clock. They got hit pretty hard and there are numerous trees and utility poles down on and around their property, some hitting the house ... their neighbor's lanai is now in my sister's yard, which is totally flooded like a pond. It's a mess and they'll be dealing with no power, clean-up, repairs and insurance companies for a long while.

Short on cash

Tele-Meister
I am on the east coast just south of where it passed through.
We had rain (still raining) and winds probibly less than 50 mph.
Power has remained on.
I realize how lucky we are considering all the other damage.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
My boss is on the East and under it now and lost power. So it’s a good day at work. Still hope everyone is ok.

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
Ugh just got a BBC news phone alert saying "significant loss of life" right before this post. I hope our members here are safe.

In August a bright young ex-coworker just moved back with her husband to FL and we were asking her about natural disasters. She went, I've lived there my whole life and have only had a few storms. We said, A few?! Hope she's okay.

Curious about updates too.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
My cousin is in Port Orange near Daytona and she said they have lost power. High winds and lots of rain. But they are still in the house and they had most everything tied down which worked in her area.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
My parents and brother live between Orlando and Daytona Beach. I was visiting them last weekend through Tuesday. I had planned to stay until today but left early. They've told me they didn't have any major problems although the wind and rain were really bad last night.

jackinjax

Friend of Leo's
Thank goodness this one didn't cause my household any noticeable damage. Yard debris mostly. We're still getting a little rain, no significant wind. We were lucky this time. In 2017 Irma brought an unwanted visitor into my bedroom. Total cost of that was around $150K. Cost me nearly $25K.
If you live in Florida you gotta resign yourself to the fact that you're occasionally gonna get blown around a bit.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m on the east coast 900’ from the Atlantic, across the state from landfall area.But the center passed directly over us during the wee hours. Woke up and it was not windy at all. I figured the southern part of the storm wasn’t very strong. Then the wind starting increasing - we had just been in the calmer center. Soon it was sustained 40 with gusts to about 60. Very strong for the southwest quadrant of a supposedl weakened storm. Still gusting over 40 now.

No flooding because I’m on a barrier island that is just a veneer of sand on top of very porous limestone. A while back we had tropical storm Fay sit on us for a day and we got 29” of rain in 24 hours, no flooding at my location.

My house is strong and it was shuttered up. No cosmetic or structural damage. I’m still trying to find what our peak wind speed was (I slept through the worst), I’d estimate around 75. No tree damage because we’ve cut a lot of stuff recently, and the palms and sea grapes that remain are built for hurricanes.

One thing about hurricanes that’s kind of funny: Lots of vegetation gets torn up and carried by the extreme winds. It plasters itself all over everything, little crushed up pieces of green all over your car, in crevices around your house, etc. my shutters have keyed locks, they supply little plastic covers so the goo doesn’t fill up the key opening.

Gimble

Tele-Meister
All that happened here at my home in Tampa was palm fronds everywhere:

98717A28-11F5-48B3-9E9F-000612FD32E2.jpeg

I started picking them up at lunch time and got through about half of them to finish the rest after work (work from home).

Went out at the end of my shift and the job was done!

My neighbor saw me out there at lunch and finished the job while I was at work.

All piled up ready for pick up:

1773B5FF-E8EA-4936-A1B1-83C01A46A67E.jpeg

I walked over to thank him and he said he saw me out there working and figured he’d half the load.

Good people still exist!

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
About half of our family and friends are scattered all over Florida - all ages too, from youngsters to oldsters

My old gal has been on the phone for the last couple of days, and so far, so good.

Lots of storm and water damage, and some of them have no electrical power, but they are all safe and sound

As the waters continues to warm, and sea level continues to rise, and people continue to build in areas that they shouldn't - unfortunately, this is the kind of stuff we can continue to expect

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
All that happened here at my home in Tampa was palm fronds everywhere:

View attachment 1034626

I started picking them up at lunch time and got through about half of them to finish the rest after work (work from home).

Went out at the end of my shift and the job was done!

My neighbor saw me out there at lunch and finished the job while I was at work.

All piled up ready for pick up:

View attachment 1034629

I walked over to thank him and he said he saw me out there working and figured he’d half the load.

Good people still exist!
Right on. I’d bake him a pie.

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
Thank goodness this one didn't cause my household any noticeable damage. Yard debris mostly. We're still getting a little rain, no significant wind. We were lucky this time. In 2017 Irma brought an unwanted visitor into my bedroom. Total cost of that was around $150K. Cost me nearly $25K.
If you live in Florida you gotta resign yourself to the fact that you're occasionally gonna get blown around a bit.
Lol at the last sentence

catdaddy

Tele-Afflicted
I live in a rural area north of Tampa and west of Orlando. We were prepared for the worst and ended up having very little impact from Ian, a little rain and some occasional wind gusts. Our infrastructure out here is notoriously fragile, seems like if someone sneezes hard enough we'll lose power for hours, but our electricity stayed on and the only problem we encountered was when our internet went out for a couple of hours this morning. I feel extremely fortunate in light of the destruction this storm has brought to so many areas and people in the state.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
South-West FL - Naples, Coral Gables, the islands like Marco and Sanibel - that whole area got hit extremely hard - they got the whole package - high wind, big storm surge, and lots of rain

They are going to need a lot of help

effzee

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
I have family in Tampa Bay who usually reply to emails very quickly, they live in retirement communities and don't have much else to occupy their time. I wrote yesterday, no reply as of yet. I'm sure they're fine but maybe no internet or electric, I don't know.