Flipping

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
A few months ago I found a very unique acoustic guitar at a great price. It came on a 48 hour approval. I didn't like the sound and sent it back.

Now it's for sale at another shop for $3,000 more.

I contacted the shop with that information.

I've sold at a profit before, but this seems a bit greedy.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
A few months ago I found a very unique acoustic guitar at a great price. It came on a 48 hour approval. I didn't like the sound and sent it back.

Having second thoughts? ;)

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity

Nothing personal but, did you do any research before you bought it?

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
It was 3,000 miles away. It looked pristine. I was familiar with the makers. It was just not for me.

No second thoughts at all. It was a special order by the original owner.

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
Flipping is a right to be sure. I've flipped a few guitars myself. To go from 4k to 7k seems to be fishing for suckers.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
i've sold BF reissues well under their value, and some synth equipment too (still kicking myself for dumping a machinedrum at 600 bucks). i mean, i've sold vintage BF amps and vintage ampegs for peanuts too.

OTOH i've made like 2-300% profit on stuff i bought when it was around cheap and was scarce later.

music stuff is generally a good investment, but you can't win every deal.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
I once got a gorgeous Brazilian rosewood acoustic guitar, a Jumbo, made by a boutique maker who used to build for Taylor.

I got it on Craigslist at an amazingly great price. It plays and sounds like a dream.

But I don’t play it any more, as the jumbo is too big for me. So I’ve been thinking about selling it.

It’s probably “worth” over three times what I paid for it.

But the builder never was able to sustain his business, and despite having sold some guitars to, and was lauded by, some famous musicians, he never made a big name for himself, so I think I might even to be hard pressed to get back what I paid for the guitar.

I could ask $7000 for it, and it would not be a ridiculous price for such a hand built Brazilian Rosewood guitar, but I am not going to get that.

Asking price and selling price are, nearly always, different things entirely. Often they are vastly different.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Supply and demand. I once bought a used guitar at a local shop, a modern made National Reso in mint condition, for a bargain price of 700 bucks! That was a steal for that guitar even then, but 10 years later that thing had gone through the roof in value for some reason, don't ask me why. So much so that I decided to sell it cause I needed some capital for some home improvement stuff. Sold that guitar back to the same shop I bought it from, no joke, for nearly 3 times what I bought it off of them.... and there was plenty of meat on the bone for them too even after that! Greedy? Nope! It's what the market bore at that time and, get this, that guitar is worth even more today! LOL!!! I ain't complainin' though ;) I never complain about breaking even, or making a profit, especially when it comes to gear.