Flipped over humbucker?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Bluessoldier, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Bluessoldier

Bluessoldier Tele-Meister

Hi guys?

Anyone know whats the point of flipping over a humbucker? I've seen a few people do it to the neck position, but can only think of one who's done it on the bridge (Freddie King).

Just if you have trouble understanding me, here's Mr. Melton from Country Joe & The Fish:

[​IMG]

2. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

It's an attempt to get a brighter tone from the neck pickup.

I have a guitar that I did this way but I can't tell, for sure, if it is effective.

You know...Keef.

3. Bluessoldier

And what about flipping over the bridge pickup? That makes it darker sounding?

4. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

What it does is place the adjustable poles under a different string harmonic, that sounds a little different, but note both sets of poles are active. What it also does is reverse the order of the magnets, that has little effect because magnetism is a weak field, however pickups are supposed to run alternate poles down the guitar e.g. NSNS, The pickups are still in phase.

It was Peter Green who accidently reversed his neck pickup whilst cleaning it, everyone went "coo!" and copied him, little realizing he only ever used the bridge pickup. We see that Mr.Melton above is also on the bridge pickup. This may be taking plagiarism too far or he too had a spot of bother whilst cleaning.

5. newmachine

newmachine Tele-Meister

I believe Dimebag Darrel flipped over his 250XL on the bridge position

6. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

That would follow logically.

Not sure there is any sound logic.

7. Bluessoldier

So I guess it's not a very technical thing. Thanks again!

8. johnreardon

johnreardon Tele-Afflicted

Peter Green did more than just turn his pickup around. He also reversed the polarity of the magnet. Just turning the pickup around will not give you the same out-of-phase sound as PG had. It does make a slight difference to the sound though. I did it on one of my guitars

9. jefrs

Turning the humbucker around also reverses the polarity of the magnet.

Instead of N-S it is now S-N. The pickups are supposed to run N-S / N-S, they now run S-N / N-S. Unless the pickups are very close together e.g. triple humbuckers, this will have little effect. You can use a compass to check your magnet polarities.

Taking the pickup apart and turning the magnet over will throw it out of phase with he other one. So will reversing its connections

The story I heard, an interview with Peter Green, when asked why he turned the pickup round, he said that he did it whilst cleaning the guitar and put it back that way by accident, but that it did not matter because he only ever used the bridge pickup on it, and that he did not use the pickups out of phase, that sound was something else. I've also been told by a couple of chaps that knew him that you cannot believe everything Peter says. Ain't myths wonderful.

10. Roli

Roli Banned

If it was north side up, it will remain north side up no matter how hard you're flipping it or put it on a maglev or - heaven forbid - a space ship.

11. jefrs

Humbucker magnets lie sideways betwixt the pole pieces. So one pole is N and the other one is S. Rotating a humbuckerizer 180° kinda switches them around like. Geddit.

Taking the magnet out and flipping it over onto its other side will reverse the original polarity of the poles, but now it will be out of phase to the other one.

Taking it for a ride in a maglev train or a spaceship will not reverse the poles.

It is possible to neutralize the earth's magnetic field with a Wheatstone bridge, a battery, a coil wrapped around an old bicycle wheel rim and a pocket compass. We do this when we need to recalibrate our trajectory. Since our interossitor broke, we have to control the operation of the sub-ordinal, extra-ordinal, and even the inter-ordinal coordination of the apogee and perigee reading flux scale. We find our system produces neither the heavy, nor light deuterium-based droplets that formerly caused that innocuable seepage, so fear of cantelorious tissue disblemification of the organs is unjustified. My apologies to those concerned. This must be made clear, especially as this may cause some untoward confusion amongst the uninitiated.

12. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

Makes little to no difference as both coils interact with the magnet and string vibrations to create the signal coming down the leads. The coil with polepieces is merely there for adjusting and balancing string response but doesn't make radical changes. the non-adjustable coil isn't a "dummy coil" as was used in the Strat Ultra back in 83, 84. Some humbuckers have adjustable polepieces on both coils. makes no difference which way their orientation. I have tried just about everything with them over the years.

13. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

ive done this to a 71 sg special that i had years ago and sold, maybe 6 years ago.

by flipping the neck pup i was able to adjust the pole pieces closer to the strings than the non adjustable side. this brought out, imo, a bit more treble on the neck pup. (not a big difference)

and therein lies the real difference. if the pole pieces were all adjusted flush to the surface at the same height, there might not be any difference at all.

rand z

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.