1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Flight cases and rain - PSA

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SRHmusic, Apr 10, 2021.

1. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Okay, this is pretty dumb of me, but perhaps some of you can benefit from my 'experience.' Maybe you all have some 'fun' rain stories to share.

We had a gig yesterday evening outside, no roof, with a low ~20% chance of rain. Just so happened a big storm formed just to the south and was heading our way, some perfect combination of cold air from the north and humid, warm air to the south.

It started pretty slowly, and I put my guitars back in their flight cases, on the ground. Then it got heavier, and we covered the stage area with big tarps. Turns out my guitar cases were at the edge and exposed enough that water got on the tops and worked its way around inside, and got into the bottom half. The guitars were pretty dry, but there was water in the bottom half of the case coming up through the lining. (To be safe, I've taken the back plates off both, and removed the neck on the one that had water under the back plate.)

lessons learned:
    1) Flight cases are not waterproof. They sell fully water proof ones, for about double the cost.
    1) Move the cases inside or into a vehicle or trailer asap if it's raining! Don't trust tarps, as wind can move them, water can pool and spill off, etc.
    2) Only have minimal gear on stage when there's no roof! From now on the 2nd guitar stays in the vehicle or trailer.

Also, luckily, it is possible to remove the styrofoam and fuzzy lining with some care. I used a thin metal scale (ruler) to gently run around the edge first, then slowly lever up the bottom. There's a lot of glue at certain points, so I had to go slowly to avoid cracking the styrofoam. So I'll be able to 'save' these cases, I think.

Cheers
    crop1a.jpg crop2a.jpg

2. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Good information. Hope that your guitars survived without issue.

Killing Floor and SRHmusic like this.
  3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Gaaaah!
    Sorry

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.