1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

flexstrong ultralight truss rod, any experience?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Peltogyne, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

I was looking at the flexstrong ultralight truss rod

https://alliedlutherie.com/collecti...ods/products/flexstrong-ultralight-truss-rods

Enticed by the light weight, removability and tiny slot size (.28 x .28 inches) but worried by this in the description.

The threaded component of the rod depends on a cozy fit in the slot to enable it to do its work without splaying open too much under tension, so the slot depth should be carefully routed so there is only a few thousandths of an inch of play (i.e., as snug as possible while still allowing the rod to slide in and out of the slot). If there is too much play, the male/female thread interface within the rod will gradually separate more and more (and possibly fully decouple) as the nut is tightened.

It's a new product and I cant find any reviews or more importantly a look at it without the wrap so I can see how it works. Anyone got any stories to tell?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  2. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Looks interesting :).

There are also the all-titanium truss rods which are very light, but also very expensive.

3. Peltogyne

4. Peltogyne

I haven't seen those before thanks for the links. Now those are expensive :) the $82 is longer (23") but its just a threaded rod. And their heavy BS claims for tone make me not want to buy from them.

The blackdog ones could also be these https://www.hosco.co.jp/en/parts/f-2742.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.