Fleetwood Mac From 1967 to 2019

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Torren61, Mar 22, 2019.

1. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

Peter Green fans will enjoy John Mayall and The Bluesbreakers Live in 1967.
    There are 2 releases, Vol 1 and Vol 2

The sound quality isn't great. It was recorded on a small desktop tape recorder.
    However I didn't notice after Peter Green started soloing.
    Well worth buying it. This was when after Peter replaced Eric Clapton. Peter sings a song or two as well.

This video has some songs from each Volume.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SnidelyWhiplash, ftbtx and Torren61 like this.
  2. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I feel the same way.

Peter had such economy with his playing, every note was essential. How did he do it?

ftbtx and Torren61 like this.
  3. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

That's the question, not sure what the answer is.
    What I've seen is some people play an instrument and some people make music with their instrument
    Some are able to tap into their emotions or soul or heart or whatever it is and express how they are feeling when they play
    Even when they are noodling or warming up it sounds like music
    While others may be serious students of music and know all about theory and have great dexterity yet what they play sounds like just a bunch of notes.
    Some, the great ones, do both. Channel their inner self and have mastered the instrument.
    And then along comes the truly great ones who write great songs in addition to the above.
    Why do some have IT? While others don't?

Same thing applies to art and artists. I've seen paintings that were perfect, yet lacked life or magic or soul.
    And I've seen some that were so magnificent that it was hard to stop looking at them. They had something others don't. And some of those great painting didn't appear to be something the artist spent a lot of time on. They were far from perfect yet they didn't have to be. The OTHER thing was there. The mystery ingredient.

Take Peter Green for example. He's not flashy or highly trained and he stumbles occasionally when he solos. Yet when he plays it sounds musical, heartfelt, soulful and full of emotion. He means what he is playing. He's serious about it. He's not just playing flashy stuff to impress people, he's singing to us through his guitar.

ftbtx, Torren61 and elihu like this.
  4. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

I'm betting if they play Hypnotized from the Welch era Campbell might have difficulty not doing licks from Breakdown.

SnidelyWhiplash, Torren61 and brbadg like this.
  5. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Poor thing , can't blame her for that.At least she knew what blues was.

Torren61 likes this.
  6. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

I've been watching videos of the new tour.I tell ya I like him as a guitar player,and I really thought he would step up on this tour.He really seems to be a fish out of water here.He struggles on some stuff.( although someone who doesn't play wouldn't notice)
    I can't figure out why,but it might have something to do with being in the same band for that long,you don't know where to put things ( in a different context).I didn't expect him to learn every LB lick,but damn,it shows you how good LB was.

Torren61 likes this.
  7. clayville

clayville TDPRI Member

+1 on that Otis Spann album, it's superb. Almost as good is Eddie Boyd's "7936 South Rhodes" from the same era and also backed by Green and the early Fleetwood Mac. Both of these albums, being fronted by piano players, give Green lots of space to step out on solos. Really tasteful playing - even the comping stuff and the little accents and turnarounds.

SnidelyWhiplash and Torren61 like this.
  8. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

I feel Bob Welch is criminally underrated with what he brought to FM and was very saddened when he was ignored at the Rock and Roll HOF induction of FM. I can only imagine how upset he was.

9. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

True enough. But when you look at the numbers, the “Rumors” album is consistently in the top 10 albums of all time. Obviously, you are not a Lindsey Buckingham fan. His excellent guitar work had a definite impact on this accomplishment. Listen to it a bit more closely, and you will discover....

Torren61 likes this.
  10. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No I am definitely a Lindsey B. fan. He's a great guitarist. I just think Peter Green direction was much more interesting and less predictable. I'm more not a Stevie Nicks fan. She got monotonous quick and now she like a hanger on.

Torren61 likes this.
  11. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I was done with Stevie Nicks after two FM albums. She's better, musically, than I'll ever be but I felt like she was a one trick pony. Walter Egan vehemently disagrees.

Jim622 and elihu like this.
  12. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

As stated here before a number of times, I saw FM in its iterations with Green, Spencer, Kirwan, C. McVie, and Welch. At the Fillmore, Whisky, Shrine and some less famous LA area venues. Kirwan and Green could make time stand still-the Boston Tea Party recordings are a representation of their sound. Jumping At Shadows is exceptional.

Also, I was at the Whisky awaiting FM the night Spencer went missing.

elihu and Torren61 like this.
  13. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think Bob could almost see it coming; that he'd end up being the punching bag as more of the weight of the band fell on his shoulders. At that point everyone else was just indulging in the comforts of life. Ms. McVie wouldn't come into her own until later.

Let's face it. Fleetwood Mac is simply a weird way to structure a band. A bit like the Dave Clark Five or Paul Revere and the Raiders where the proprietor of the band hired someone else to do the lifting.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Btw, FM didn't come to the rescue of the New Orleans Jazz Fest after all. After Mick (jagger) learned of the need for the heart procedure, and the Stones bowed out, Fleetwood Mac was supposed to step up. But the Goat didn't feel like working in the heat, I suppose.

kookaburra likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.