Fleetwood Mac From 1967 to 2019

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Torren61, Mar 22, 2019.

1. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    I saw the original Fleetwood Mac at The Whisky a couple of times, at the Shrine Auditorium and once at the Fillmore West
    I was already a fan of Peter Green after hearing The Supernatural he recorded with Mayall.
    You can kind of hear where Black Magic Woman came from:

But then when I saw Fleetwood Mac live I was blown away by Jeremy Spencer
    Here was some young English kid singing and playing like Elmore James.
    Amazing:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    24 track, elihu and Torren61 like this.
  2. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

One of the most beautiful pieces of music i've heard in quite a while.
    Too bad he fell by the wayside.

R.I.P. Mr. Kirwin... :cry:

3. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

If you like early FM, take the time to listen to " FM in Chicago " backing some
    of the early blues giants. Also, Otis Spahn's " The Biggest Thing Since Colossus ".

Both great albums with superlative playing. :cool:

4. Big Burly

Big Burly Tele-Meister

My honest opinion is that Mick Fleetwood and John McVie are the BEST rhythm section ever. They are just sublime together. And, my honest opinion again, is the band Fleetwood Mac has been exceptional in all of its incarnations.

24 track and Torren61 like this.
  5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

When I was first learning guitar, I convinced my parents to rent me a better guitar for Christmas (and hopefully buy at a later date) The local music store had a '50's Stratocaster in the used section so we brought it home. I had it for a month along with a BF Deluxe Reverb that was also rented. At the end of the rental period, it got taken back, but I finally convinced the folks that I should have it, so we went back and it had been sold. I ended up with a '60's Jazzmaster that was my first good guitar.

So what does this have to do with Fleetwood Mac? Well, I always remembered that Strat and that it had the switch over by the cutaway and not by the knobs. I saw a video of Fleetwood Mac and Jeremy Spencer was playing a Strat that matched what I'd remembered. A friend of mine interviewed Jeremy Spencer a couple of years ago and I asked him to ask about the guitar.

It seems that Jeremy was looking for a better guitar then the well worn ES 175 he'd been playing. The band was playing the Rollarena in San Leandro, CA and a friend came to visit from San Francisco to take Jeremy guitar shopping. And just down E.14th Street, was Music Unlimited where we'd just taken back the Strat. Jeremy and his friend found it and bought it and off it went ending up in Sri Lanka or someplace. Sadly, he no longer owns the Strat and doesn't remember what happened to it. And the friend who took him guitar shopping? Jerry Garcia.

ftbtx, 24 track, Tezuka27 and 5 others like this.
  6. John How

John How Tele-Meister

I was a fan in 1968 when a friend showed me that ol garbage can album...I continued being a fan though I was disappointed when PG left right up until they moved to LA...Some notable tunes from the early days were Black Magic Woman, Rattlesnake Shake, Stop Messin Round, Love that burns, Albatros. After PG left came Kin House, My old band used to do Station Man and Tell me all the things you do...Both good jam tunes...Then the Bob Welch with his sorta mystic song writing...My favorite in the BW era was Mystery to me, with songs like Emerald eyes, Hypnotized and Miles away...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    24 track, bumnote and Torren61 like this.
  7. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I just watched that interview today on YouTube! This was the interview were he talks about how he taught himself slide, the difference between metal, glass and ceramic. Talked about how BB King took him aside and showed him how he imitated it with his fingers.
    I always wondered about that Strat of Jeremy's...did he buy it that way, modify it himself...now I know. That is a cool story!
    I remember seeing another interview with him were he talks about his guitars and apparently he either gave them or traded them. He seems to have really become attached to that PRS.

8. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I like this one:

SnidelyWhiplash, elihu and Torren61 like this.
  9. Paul in Colorado

Do you have a link to that interview? And yes, that Strat had the switch that way. I believe from the factory. Leo must have been experimenting.

10. bumnote

Here's part 1. Can't remember how many there are, but the next part should cue up at the end of each video.

11. Paul in Colorado

Thanks!

24 track and bumnote like this.
  12. bumnote

In Part 11 he talks about how he and Peter Green prefer the MIM Strats & Teles over MIA's....

13. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)

24 track likes this.
  14. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

This is the standard Fleetwood Mac argument.A lot of people stop at Peter Green.They won't even listen to B/N.I have HUGE doubts about the Campbell/Finn contribution when the tour's over.Neil is great.But he's best doing Neil Finn music.I've bought my popcorn,so we'll see how that plays out.

Torren61 likes this.
  15. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

The recordings I've heard,well,he did it better with Tom.

16. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Since I was already into John Mayall, I was very aware of Fleetwood Mac. I was also a fan of Chicken Shack and Christine Perfect.
    I was also very into the Danny Kirwan "Bare Trees" era.
    Anyway, here's a Fleetwood Mac Album I picked up that I had never heard of by a line-up I didn't know happened.

Time
    "Time is the 16th studio album by British-American rock band Fleetwood Mac, released in 1995. This album features a unique line-up for the band featuring the addition of former Traffic guitarist Dave Mason and country vocalist Bekka Bramlett (daughter of Delaney and Bonnie). Lindsey Buckingham, who had left Fleetwood Mac in 1987, makes an appearance as a backing vocalist on one track, but Time is the first and only Fleetwood Mac album since 1974's Heroes Are Hard to Find not to feature any contribution from Stevie Nicks.'

Also features Billy Burnett.
    It is a very well recorded record.
    [​IMG]

Torren61 and 24 track like this.
  17. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister

Torren61 likes this.
  18. john_t

john_t Tele-Meister

Love the early Fleetwood Mac / Peter Green stuff. Most people have no clue about how different the band was in those days. Spotify has some nice versions of the early songs, multiple outtakes with casual conversations mixed in, etc.

Torren61 likes this.
  19. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, Peter Green isn't a fan of Vintage instruments or reliced instruments.

In fact when Gary Moore decided to sell the "Greenie" Les Paul Just before his death, it was offered back to Peter Green.
    [​IMG]
    Green said "Oh God no! Just look at the state that thing is in!"

So it spend some time with a collector who let renowned vintage dealer Phil Harris, do a good demonstration of it and film it for all prosperity.

And was via that same Phil Harris that the guitar ended up with Kirk Hammet, who is a huge Gary Moore fan. Hammet said that even if you play the guitar unplugged it has THAT sound.

20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I had "The Original Fleetwood Mac" on tape in my late teens. This was as about 1980. My then new girlfriend and I were in the car going somewhere. She asked if I had any Fleetwood Mac to put in the cassette player while we were traveling. So I grabbed the cassette and put it on. She said' "That's not Fleetwood Mac! Those are some of your blues guys' recordings." :rolleyes: "No". I said, "That's Fleetwood Mac.".

She pops out the cassette to look at the title. Sure enough it says "Fleetwood Mac" on it. She turns to me and says "You mean there's two Fleetwood Macs?"

"No, just one." I said. ;):D

SnidelyWhiplash, elihu and brbadg like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.