Flea market find- early 50s tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Charlodius, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

This is comical, but I was really concerned my 7 year old would lose the penny. Not so much superstition- just part of the story in my mind. She left it in a cup holder in my car, so I secretly replaced it and put the original in a zip lok inside the guitar case. The magic is probably run out anyway, as it’s empirically proven that it only lasts a day. That was 5 days ago lol.

2. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

My dad bought a ‘54 356 Speedster in the late 60s for a little less than $3k. Turns out it was the fourth one imported into the US. He traded it for a 1980 911 and some cash when I was a kid. It has passed through a few owner’s hands and has been completely restored since then. This is the one.

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/1551-Porsche-Speedster-1500 c.c. 4-Cylinder

It looked like this when I was a kid:

[​IMG]

And it looks like this now:

[​IMG]

3. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Looking at it again, it really doesn't need that much. I'm kind of in the "it's part of the guitar's history" camp so I'd consider leaving the body as is. Thankfully, it doesn't look like it's been sanded. But the neck definitely needs a strip/refin/refret. After that, address the bridge pickup's issues, replace the missing parts with period correct, aged replacements and call it good. You'd have a real deal vintage guitar to play with a great story attached to it for comparatively small change...Hey, it's not like you have a ton of money invested in it :lol:

Any capable hands you put this guitar in will only increase it's value at this point, but if you were to go the full resto route I think Mr. Erlewine is your guy. If anyone can make it look like an unmodified 65 year old Telecaster, it's him. His knowledge, ingenuity, and enthusiasm is unparalleled. Plus you'd get to have your guitar in a magazine!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

You're right, I should have said "pretty much" all flathead screws until '54. I have seen some with a few Phillips screws (usually the two holding the control plate). That said, it's hard to tell if those weren't maybe added at a late date.

Miff likes this.
  5. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

WOW Man!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

I know I posted earlier, but I just can't get over this find. Holy smokes this is amazing.

El Tele Lobo and theprofessor like this.
  7. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    yeah... me too!!

Jersey Joe and El Tele Lobo like this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

too true, Wally. personally I would put it way until the op figures it out,but a beauty find!

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Charlodius....

would it be possible to get a full body pic of the guitar ?

Im curious to see a before and after full body shot this might be a cool wall paper for the computer

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

A very cool find. I combed my local flea market from about 1994-2004 pretty much every Sunday morning. The best I could do in the Tele world was a '59 with a top loader bridge that somebody turned into a mutilated and destroyed travel guitar. The neck and bridge were really the only things usable. They got sold off decades ago. I kept what was left of the body as a souvenir. My buddy used to comb the thrift stores and in the same year, found a Pre War Gibson, and a Martin D-something. I think he paid 10 and 15 respectively. I played both of these instruments. The stuff used to be out there. Once Antiques Roadshow and Ebay started.... things changed. You did much better...LOL.

El Tele Lobo and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a weakness for guitars under $50. Almost an automatic purchase if under $25!
    I bought someone's Squier Affinity in a brown paper bag of parts for $20, double-tapped. That was a fun project but not like the lucky penny deal here.

This will be a fun story when it all gets pieced together.

While you may have Dan E work on the guitar, I'd first get feedback from Gruhn's and Dave's in Wisconsin and Norm's in Hollywood as to the best approach on it. It's quite possible that a collector will be more interested in the guitar as-is than trying to sell a 'fixed up' version because the collector will have their own guy they trust to fix things up. Practically every Antiques Roadshow: "Well, if you hadn't cleaned the patina off that old dresser it would be worth a hundred times more".

El Tele Lobo and trapdoor2 like this.
  12. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I will try to upload one tonight that doesn’t have the pickguard. Those screws that held the DIY guard were too big, I didn’t want to screw them back in, so it’s easy enough to take a few pics to show the routing etc

Attached Files:

13. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

what's it sound like ?

tintag27 likes this.
  14. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

If this guitar gets named after a girl, I’m pretty sure it should be Penny !

15. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Very true. I'd absolutely pay for an appraisal from Gruhn's (or your favorite appraiser). The collectors market is really volatile and trends change with the wind. This isn't going to be a million-dollar guitar but it has substantial value as long as it comes with a trusted appraisal.

The good thing about going with a known guru like Dan Erlwine is that he has a finger on the pulse of the market and will advise accordingly...but in the end, will do whatever the owner wants. Having the work done by a known guru has value in itself.

16. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

The neck position is really dark- which is due to the blend circuit. The middle and rear positions make the neck pickup incredibly sweet sounding. No signal from the bridge. Needs a set up- strings almost buzzing on board, the saddles are super low. I haven’t set it up out of fear I’ll strip a gunked up, rusty screw.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  17. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have not had any contact with him but another vote for Dan E....his reputation is top notch. You are making everyone here really jealous and happy for you!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. geektoad

geektoad TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Penny Lane! :)

t guitar floyd and Charlodius like this.
  19. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I have a Penny Lane, but she's not a tele. :)

Attached Files:

SuprHtr, Rev Rhythm and MattMrdck like this.
  20. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.